Feedback for repo.openpandora.org

also we know who's doing the rating and mcobit has emailed the person in question, hopefully its a misunderstanding if not I can reduce the persons access on the repo disabling ratings for that person and of course deleting all his ratings, but lets see what happens first.

To be fair, it's probably very inappropriate to reveal who has been doing this on the forums. Milkshake's recommended action sounds like the proper course of action.

Sure, downvoting all of the apps for whatever reason isn't a very nice thing to do, but any sort of public revealing of who it is will just make matters worse.

Well, i guess most people will asume it is sukhi anyway ;)

Such behaviour really hurts the community. On the other hand, we should all register and vote on our favourite apps!

I'm just wondering if it's the same fellow who occasionally sends charming, hilarious reports about apps on the repo, such as "This looks fucking shit". :p

Not sure about that, but it is not sukhi, too.

We won't officially reveal any usernames. If I don't get an answer to my mail, we will maybe just revert the onestar ratings and remove his ratingrights.

I think this is a nicer way than just delete his account or something and he has the chance to explain it and get ratingrights back.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:

I have updated the websearch (not the autocomplete jquery one) so that if there is only 1 returning result from your search term it will automatically direct you to the apps page rather than the results page.

This will save at least one click.

This also means the repo is now could be as direct web browser search engine

Save this as a custom search engine in your web browser of choice (Chrome Omnibox, Firefox Smart Keywords, etc)

Code:
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=all&search=%s

and assign a textual shortcut to it, i.e. "repo".

From then one you can very quickly get directly to your desired result.
  1. Go to your address bar (CTRL-L) of your current tab/window, or open a new tab/window (CTRL-T) first
  2. Type: repo searchterm ENTER

Then you get directly to your appropriate result:
  • If your search term matches multiple apps, you get to a listing page,
  • If it matches only 1 app, you get direct to the info page of that app.

Examples of search terms and their results:

Code:
shootet --> http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=shootet.mrz

angry --> http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=angrydd.EvilDragon

super --> Leads to result page with 9 records.

Thanks to porg, who suggested this idea.

While you're here... We seem to be getting some bizarre, and oftentimes spammy-looking, reports about apps on the repo, milkshake. I'm guessing that you've seen them, too - what's up with them?

(Also, I sent you a PM a while ago, but it doesn't look like you ever read it. Could you give it a look, please? :) )

who knows maybe some captcha farms manually worked out the maths captchas.

I have made it so they need to be logged in to leave feedback now (the feedback will still be anonymous though), which seems to have stopped the spam.

Just to let everyone know I have been working with Cloudef on the idea of a client <-> Repository API, and as of right now the specifications look like this, it has already been added into the Repo for testing so any client that wishes to try these out can do, or any suggestions of feedback please let me know.

here are the specs.

Ok I have to apologise to everyone for a pretty slow repo website, I have done some simple noob optimisations like add some index's in the right places and now its much much quicker!

so I'm sorry you had to cope with a pretty slow repo but hopefully things will be better now.

One simple search enhancement I'd really like to see is a proper OpenSearch description.

If you go to almost any site with a search feature (eg. my WordPress-based blog) and then, later, start typing its domain in the Chrome address bar (but not Firefox yet), Chrome will display a prompt saying "Press tab to search ...".

I actually find it jarring that it doesn't happen with repo.openpandora.org.

Given that it's not difficult (just a simple little XML file and a <link> element), this'd be a nice, quick bit of polish to add.

Reminder: Subscription & email notification would be such a catalyzer for user/developer interaction & community review culture overall.

Both Christoph.Krn and I suggest more social/interaction features on repo.openpandora.org in order to vitalize/catalyze the repo!

• porg suggests subscription/notification to enable comment communication between maintainers and users and from users to users.
  • Christoph.Krn suggests crowd-suggested promotions ("Show on frontpage tomorrow") so that the repo's content gets more assessed/weighted content, which shall encourage users to use the rating & commenting more, which again makes the content more assessed. (starting an upward stimulation spiral)

Back