Fenix And Ultimate Fenix Supporting Touch Screen

Puck2099

Certified Guru
Website
www.gp32wip.com
I've just released a new version of Fenix and Ultimate Fenix, both of them with touch screen support.

Please, if you want to include the runtime with your game, include also the files readme.txt and leeme.txt with it.

Ultimate Fenix v0.2

Fenix Beta6

I hope to see Boomshine2x, Whendown and much more touch games soon :)

ufenix.jpg

Wonderful, thank you.
Since I still haven't got my Devkit working on Vista (even the preconfigured Codeblocks), I'm gonna switch to Fenix until I get my copy of Visual C++ from work.

EDIT:
Is there anything special to do to enable the touchscreen? o_O if not, its not working with ufenix :(

Simple test here:
CODE
program touchscreen_test;
begin
set_mode( 320, 240, 16 );
set_fps( 60, 0 );

write_int(0,10,10,0,&mouse.x);
write_int(0,10,20,0,&mouse.y);
write_int(0,10,30,0,&mouse.left);

while( !key(_x) )

frame;
end;

exit();
end;

Quiest said:
Wonderful, thank you.
Since I still haven't got my Devkit working on Vista (even the preconfigured Codeblocks), I'm gonna switch to Fenix until I get my copy of Visual C++ from work.
EDIT:
Is there anything special to do to enable the touchscreen? o_O if not, its not working with ufenix :(

Simple test here:
CODE
begin
set_fps( 60, 0 );

while( !key(_x) )

frame;
end;

exit();
end;

I'll test it tomorrow (it's too late now), but if I haven't zipped an old binary it worked with Whendown touch game...

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange... the only difference was that I was using a DS stylus... I hope my touchscreen's not broken :-O

I'm just getting started with fenix, and I'm not really sure what those ampersands before the mouse variables do, but I bet that it will work if you take them off, because I have nearly the same code working with my touch screen (though I used the write function instead of write_int, but they work the same I believe). Great Job to puck on this fenix release by the way, touchscreen works great for me. I expect to see quite a bit of home brew popping up as a result, you've made touchscreen development so much easier for those with f-200's!

Quiest said:
Wonderful, thank you.
EDIT:

Simple test here:
CODE
begin
set_fps( 60, 0 );

while( !key(_x) )

frame;
end;

exit();
end;

quiest....make sure you do the touch calibration in the firmware settings menu...i was afraid my ts was broken for a while since it only worked in programs that ignored the calibration info. :D

dunno if this relates here just giving you something to rule out.

Whee, the calibration did it, thanks!

@narmak:
The & in front of the variables are vital; this way, you don't give the exact value to the function, but the place where this value is in memory. This way, the correct value gets shown, if the integer changes during runtime.
Without it, it would always show the initial value from the time I called the function... thats why it works fine for your write (assuming you are using it with a string).
You can also use the write functions every frame to update it, but that'll be slower and you'd have to delete the text every now and then because Fenix allows only 500 something instances of them running in memory (more == crash).

EDIT:
Wow... is the touchscreen really THAT inaccurate? I mean, its pixelperfect on the y-axis, but it jumps around with a range of about 30 to 40 pixels around the stylus tip on the x-axis o_O
This has GPH all over it again X(

rokdcasbah said:
quiest....make sure you do the touch calibration in the firmware settings menu...i was afraid my ts was broken for a while since it only worked in programs that ignored the calibration info. :D

dunno if this relates here just giving you something to rule out.
Thanks for making this post... I've not calibrated and some things, like the ScummVM emulator, work fine without calibration, while other touchscreen games (like this, Graffiti), don't.

Quiest said:
I hope not!

... ScummVM has touchscreen support already?
Yes, some days ago was released ;)

Hey Puck, I have a request for your next Fenix runtime release (both 0.84 and 0.92): how about defaulting the sound volume at <10% instead of maximum? Since the runtime ignores Gmenu2x volume suggestions, playing Fenix games with headphones can often be painful :D

Thanks for your work by the way, a lot of homebrew favourites were made with it :)

Nice!

But what's the difference between the beta6 and the ultimate versions?

Seiti said:
Nice!

But what's the difference between the beta6 and the ultimate versions?
Beta6 use Fenix source code from 0.84 en Ultimate use the last source code of fenix 0.92a

Back