Status
Not open for further replies.

BackAssward

From CODE
http://openpandora.org

To-Do:
* Get the final Prototype case
* Build a test device and check if everything is okay
* Create the keymat mould (takes 20 - 25 days)
* Design the final keyboard layout (needs to be finished when the mould is ready)

( and means "strike through", as in done... stupid forums).

I was wondering if we can we see the "final keyboard layout" decided upon. I searched the forums (to keep the flamers at bay) but didn't find anything on it. Is it decided, and is there a pic of the final mapping? Since this has been posted for a while now, I thought we'd have seen something (or at least someone asking).

Cheers and thanks,

BackAssward

Edit: It seems that `strike through` does work in the forums, just not in preview (hence the odd comments above), stupid forums. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
openpandora.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/to-do-list-another-one-ticked/

Few days old, that one. ;)

In other news, if the forum bugs are driving you mad, see the thread in my sig.

'Gruso' said:
openpandora.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/to-do-list-another-one-ticked/

Few days old, that one. ;)

In other news, if the forum bugs are driving you mad, see the thread in my sig.
Thanks for the link, but it really doesn`t answer the question. They should post the keymap if they`ve decided on one (the reason for the thread). Especially for early pre-order adopters, and more so for the potential adopters for the April 1st deadline. They should know what they are pre-ordering, especially if they haven`t decided yet. It could be the deciding factor for some, and thusly, shown if decided upon.

E.g. The OP team gives us the final design. Indicates it is final (no talk will be tolerated on alternates), and indicates `this is the final design, take it or leave it`. Then the consumers can chose to take it or leave it... an informed descision.

As for the forums, thanks again for the link. I know there is a Greasemonkey script out there and I applaud the maker for putting in the effort. I actually just posted the link for `yalborap` and his forum issues before reading your reply. Unfortunately, I don`t use Greasemonkey... I have like 100 extensions already.

I think they've made the right decision in not advertising the final key layout. It's pretty much set in stone that it's going to be English, with special characters done via Compose keys. And there will probably be regional versions produced later.

If they put up a final layout picture now, the bikeshedding will start up again. We'd have more threads, more complaints, more polls, it would be totally counterproductive. In my opinion.

Agreed. What other purpose would seeing the keyboard layout have, other than to see if one is happy with it? What if they're not? Comments quickly snowball into complaints. And there's no changing it at this point.

Unless one wanted to print one out and start practicing?

I'd rather wait until it's in my hands to see it. It's the layout that has been decreed by people who are considered the experts. It's all part of the trust we have in OP for designing the Pandora.

'Gruso' said:
I think they've made the right decision in not advertising the final key layout. It's pretty much set in stone that it's going to be English, with special characters done via Compose keys. And there will probably be regional versions produced later.

If they put up a final layout picture now, the bikeshedding will start up again. We'd have more threads, more complaints, more polls, it would be totally counterproductive. In my opinion.
So you are saying that the end consumer should not see what they are buying before they purchase it? I doubt you can justify such a position without a subjective approach.

It doesn't matter how many threads are possible, the consumer (e.g. the April 1 adopters) deserve to know what they are buying. If the design is final, they deserve to chose (yes or no) on that design.

Nothing anyone has said yet has denied the reason for the question: If the design is final, there is no reason to not show it. This whole thing is open, why not open this also (if it is decided)? If people might not like it, so what? The only reason is it might hurt sales if people don't like it. Or is that the reason not to share it?

Keypad design suggestions were open for a long, long time. The issue fell quiet for a while, and I guess many people (myself included) figured it was done with. Then topics started again this year, and they went for page upon page. It was intense. To their credit, the devs read every post and once again implemented a bunch of changes.

So what would happen if they posted it now? There would be ten pages of debate. And the devs would have two choices. (1) Delve into it all again, and be majorly distracted from that oh-so-near goal of production, or (2) just ignore it. They can't really afford to do either.

It's a QWERTY keypad in English. How much of a dealbreaker can it be? If there are folk out there who would cancel their order based on the location of the ^ key... well, I'd hate to be trapped in conversation with them at a party.

[edit] You never know, they may read this thread and post it for laughs. If that happens, I'll be hanging out in the Wiz forum for a week. :p

^^ +1 to what BackAssward just said

'sverm' said:
I'd rather wait until it's in my hands to see it. It's the layout that has been decreed by people who are considered the experts. It's all part of the trust we have in OP for designing the Pandora.
Based on this blind trust in OP (I do trust them), no need for any further update till the delivery wheter it is news, blog or videos ;o)

As above I trust OP to design a decent keyboard layout.

What I got from the fuss about the keyboard layout a month or so back was that OP had got it about right. They had in mind to have a compose key or similar, they had though people might want a different keyboard as mod latter on.

Any fuss now just delays the launch further.

What's up with the keypad threads...? It's an english 43 button QWERTY keypad as it says on the official website. The Pandora is primary for games using the d-pad, analogs etc. If you're going to write a book on it maybe you should take your keyboard from the computer and plug it in. Easy.

1) If they release the keyboard layout there will be complaints. Anyone care to argue this point? History suggests you would be wrong, so we'll assume I'm right and someone will complain which will lead to a long and totally pointless argument. The layout has been decided and it will not be changed.
2) The layout is just the printing on the keys, you can always change what each key actually maps too. Therefore it is my opinion that the layout should not be a deal breaker. I'm willing to argue this point if someone wants, it may be fun.
To this end, I vote no show. Whatever the keyboard looks like will not change my decision to buy or cancel, and I don't want to worry about yet another keyboard (YAK) thread.

oh, i'd love to see the finished layout - on a finished pandora!

otherwise, i agree. no need to publish it separately. hopefully, we'll see what it looks like soon enough...

'WizardStan' said:
1) If they release the keyboard layout there will be complaints. Anyone care to argue this point? History suggests you would be wrong, so we'll assume I'm right and someone will complain which will lead to a long and totally pointless argument.
So basically like this thread, only with a picture of a keyboard layout. :lol:

'PoisonedV' said:
wk5qf4.png
Ahh, so that's what cosurgi looks like...on the weekend of course.

i'd also like a image o the final keyboard layout. since its not gonna chance anymore.
Just ignore all the people complaining, many people are curious! :)

Don't get me wrong - more info, more pictures, are definitely better than less. I've pre-ordered mine and would love to get more sneak previews of what it is I bought.

But the ensuing threads where people debate whether the alt and compose buttons belong on the shoulders, or whether those should be mouse buttons, and where the comma and period belong, and the latecomers who don't realize it's no longer subject to design modifications are going to be difficult to fend off.

This is quickly becoming a meta-thread, innit? That is, a thread about other threads. Or the threat of a thread. ;-)

They keyboard will never please everyone and it's bikeshedding at its finest.

We just had to go with one and that was that.

I don't think anyone was 100% happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back