Finalburn Alpha?

slaanesh said:
Oh yes, I've switched over CPU cores.
Was previously using slow M68K and Z80 cores. Now using C68K and CZ80 with some very nice results - even at the Dingoo's default 336Mhz it's playing very well with sound and software scaling blitter.

EDIT: Donpachi is pretty much fullspeed with sound at 336Mhz (Dingoo's default) speed. :)

This is fantastic. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Some more good news - well for me anyway as it's one of my favorites - I played Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom last night. Nice! It's really fast and fluid. It seems like everything is moving at fullspeed. I'm quite impressed with FBA on the Dingoo so far.

I should have a v1.0 release soon.

One thing that would be very handy is if Dingux supported double buffering - alas not yet. FBA would benefit greatly from this as some drivers rely on this and I will have to do some work arounds. I want to keep the code intact as I am sure that Dingux will support Double Buffering one day. I've even had a look at the kernel driver code and it seems like it would be pretty doable.

Is there any chance the faster cores you're using now might be incorporated into your Dingoo MAME? Forgive me if I'm wrong - but I thought you had a problem finding them compatible for mips processors.

Also - the two Dungeons and Dragons games are also some of my favorites, but what advantages do you see in playing them through FBA as opposed to the native Dingoo emulator?

PolloLoco said:
Is there any chance the faster cores you're using now might be incorporated into your Dingoo MAME? Forgive me if I'm wrong - but I thought you had a problem finding them compatible for mips processors.

Also - the two Dungeons and Dragons games are also some of my favorites, but what advantages do you see in playing them through FBA as opposed to the native Dingoo emulator?
I certainly intend to incorporate the faster cores into MAME - certainly the C68K seems quite a bit faster. I'll have to do some benchmarking.
The incompatible cores are Cyclone and DrZ80 which will only work on ARM cpus.

To be honest, I haven't even tried DDTOD on the native OS's emulator. I should do so to see how it runs.

As for are the advantages? Well, there may not be much at the moment. I'm guessing that the Neo Geo/CPS1/2 emulators are based on NJ's excellent emulators. These are in themselves excellent pieces of software - I played with them extensively whilst I was in my PSP using phase.

I think there are several main advantage:

FBA is open source and I will be able to support it and extend it. I already plan to do so by adding support for additional games ie. Raiden and 1943 (and other games that people may suggest).

Compared to other emulators (like MAME), FBA is somewhat faster. Games that run okay on MAME will run rather well on FBA. For example Rastan Saga. Sure it runs on MAME, but I'm sure it will easily run full speed on FBA at the same clock speed and samplerate settings. I'll add this first as a proof of concept and compare the speeds between MAME and FBA.

FBA has cache support - large games will work once converted.

slaanesh said:
PolloLoco said:

I certainly intend to incorporate the faster cores into MAME - certainly the C68K seems quite a bit faster. I'll have to do some benchmarking.

To be honest, I haven't even tried DDTOD on the native OS's emulator. I should do so to see how it runs.

As for are the advantages? Well, there may not be much at the moment. I'm guessing that the Neo Geo/CPS1/2 emulators are based on NJ's excellent emulators. These are in themselves excellent pieces of software - I played with them extensively whilst I was in my PSP using phase.

FBA is open source and I will be able to support it and extend it. I already plan to do so by adding support for additional games ie. Raiden and 1943 (and other games that people may suggest).

Compared to other emulators (like MAME), FBA is somewhat faster. Games that run okay on MAME will run rather well on FBA. For example Rastan Saga. Sure it runs on MAME, but I'm sure it will easily run full speed on FBA at the same clock speed and samplerate settings. I'll add this first as a proof of concept and compare the speeds between MAME and FBA.

I know this is the wrong place for it but since this is where you are these days I will ask here.

Is there any chance for a Wiz port/version of your great improved FBA emu? I am not sure if you abandoned the Wiz entirely or why. As of now there is no one actively working on a Wiz FBA and probably will won't be. It would be nice to have a good FBA on that too. The good viewing angle really helps with rotated games (240 x 320) as they don't wash out on the OLED.

That are great news! Thank you so much for your work, slaneesh! :)
I was pretty sad, when i couldn´t load DonPachi for example, good to hear it works fullspeed in FBA...
Can´t wait... :lol:

DaveC said:
slaanesh said:
PolloLoco said:

I know this is the wrong place for it but since this is where you are these days I will ask here.

Is there any chance for a Wiz port/version of your great improved FBA emu? I am not sure if you abandoned the Wiz entirely or why. As of now there is no one actively working on a Wiz FBA and probably will won't be. It would be nice to have a good FBA on that too. The good viewing angle really helps with rotated games (240 x 320) as they don't wash out on the OLED.

Couldn't the last FBA release for the GP2X be ported pretty easily to the Wiz? I imagine it would run much better than it did on the GP2X simply because of the increased clock speed.

quadomatic said:
Couldn't the last FBA release for the GP2X be ported pretty easily to the Wiz? I imagine it would run much better than it did on the GP2X simply because of the increased clock speed.
FBA already has been ported to Wiz but it doesn't have all of Slaanesh's fancy enhancements or extra games.

craigix said:
I'm going to do a video update (wiz and dingoo), looking forward to featuring this :)

No problems.

quadomatic said:
Have you maybe tested Marvel vs Capcom (or other CPS2 fighting games) and King of Fighters games, metal slug, and garou?
I'll test some large-ROM games tonight.

pongplaya said:
these are great news :) thx so much slaneesh :)

will wrestlefest be available in V 1.0 ???????????????
Indeed it is!

I finally got round to sorting out Dingux this weekend, so this is exciting news for me! Thanks for all the work you're putting into Dingoo development.

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts will be interesting with FinalBurn, as it currently doesn't work with the standard CPS1 emulator. It has severe graphics glitches (making it unplayable), but teases you with great speed!

For people who were in the same position as me and would like to get Dingux up and running asap, this guide is excellent and provides links to the latest correct files. There's no reason not to do it!

Sticky link?
http://dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/2009/07/idiots-guide-to-installing-dingux-using.html

ste_167 said:
I finally got round to sorting out Dingux this weekend, so this is exciting news for me! Thanks for all the work you're putting into Dingoo development.

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts will be interesting with FinalBurn, as it currently doesn't work with the standard CPS1 emulator. It has severe graphics glitches (making it unplayable), but teases you with great speed!
You'll be happy to know that GnG runs glitch-free and silky smooth. :)

Okay there is a bit of bad news. Large ROM games that rely on the cache will need a bit of work. The current setup is very much optimized to work with 64MB of RAM, not 32MB. It's all pretty much hard coded per game driver.

This means that large ROM games that rely on the cache currently don't work.

So I could release this "as-is" or my preference is to get CPS2 cache going first (basically for DDSOM support) and then make an initial release. Subsequent releases will fix more games - Neo Geo will most likely be next.

Any opinions?

Actually it may not be as bad as I first thought. I've got some CPS2 action happening already. DDSOM started up for me a few moments ago. A few glitches but it seems okay.
I've done some FPS checks:

All things equal, CPS1 actually requires more grunt than CPS2 - due to the complex YM-2151 FM sound chip. CPS2 just used pre-rendered QSOUND samples which means there's much less work to do.

At the default Dingoo 336Mhz at with 16000hz sound using 16-bit graphics:
A CPS1 game with YM-2151 (ie. Knights of the Round) runs fullspeed though frameskipping at about 30fps.
A CPS1 game with QSOUND (ie. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs) runs fullspeed at about 40fps.

I bet MAME4ALL runs these quite a bit slower.

EDIT: CPS2 cache is done. That wasn't that bad after all. It's about the same speed as CPS1 and a bit slower when it's loading from the cache files.
One BIG problem is that Booboo's plan to provide a workaround for the SD corruption bug will really cripple FBA if load speeds are 25% of what they currently are.
Also, those who bought better/faster SD cards (ie. CLASS 6) will get some payback now as you'll get even less pause when things are loading.

slaanesh said:
Okay there is a bit of bad news. Large ROM games that rely on the cache will need a bit of work. The current setup is very much optimized to work with 64MB of RAM, not 32MB. It's all pretty much hard coded per game driver.

This means that large ROM games that rely on the cache currently don't work.

So I could release this "as-is" or my preference is to get CPS2 cache going first (basically for DDSOM support) and then make an initial release. Subsequent releases will fix more games - Neo Geo will most likely be next.

Any opinions?

pls release it :) :) i dont mind as long as wrestlefest works :)
sent you a small donation btw :)

Back