Finalizing the PCBs

If we intend to kinda idiot-proof it, it should be able to run on max clock and usage for like 12 hours. Like some stupid guy (Me you said ? Well I'd never !) rendering 3D all night. Yes, he does sleep much. :D

If you want it cool, you get/make some feather immitates of well heat conductive metall, stick them tips into the Pyra, seal the Pyra and fill it up with quicksilver - electrically non-conductive quicksilver of course.

If you want it cool, you get/make some feather immitates of well heat conductive metall, stick them tips into the Pyra, seal the Pyra and fill it up with quicksilver - electrically non-conductive quicksilver of course.
Nah, do gallium.

I hear gallium is amazing with heat when combined with an aluminum heatsink, especially if you scuff up the aluminum a bit first.

Something about increasing the surface area... Probably better cooling. :)

I have a drill ready to go. I should make a list of all the stuff I want to try with my clear case. Is it time for me to start gathering supplies, like paint and DS hinge?

Well, at GamesCom, we ran the system for about 30 minutes with 100% CPU load at Dual-Core 1.0GHz, and it never overheated. It reached maximum temperature after about 10 minutes.
What was that max temperature ?

You should consider a redesign of the case unless you want to drop the modular design concept and the OMAP5's 1.5GHz.
Frankly, the solution you shown on the video isn't convincing.

---EDIT:
There's not a lot of options, this part needs to be thermal conductive. Fingers should not be able to touch it nor be too close.
pyra-back.jpg

Last edited:
Urgency...? That solution has been tried in August at the Gamescom, and planned for a lot longer (I had to source parts, etc.) :)

Now we're just improving an already working solition :)
Possible, can't remember. I'm just surprised that there will be such a big copper heat spreader within the case. Goodthing for sure. I once designed a longer, thinner heatspreader that sits under the hinge area in the middle and is exposed to the outside.

Let me start with this: Having a CPU that can throttle is a GOOD thing.
Sure, except you need constant max speed without thermal throtteling. Mobile SoC's can't keep up for long when under load, but I want PC x86-like stamina when it comes to CPU speed! :D For idle/average usage, CPU throtteling is for sure very good, especialy on mobile devices to save battery power.

Yes it's likely. The copper block should be exposed to the outside.
Yes, would be more efficient I guess. The pins of that heat spreader could fit into holes in the case for example.

Our old concept, Askarus had the idiea first afaik:

Attachments

• Coppercooler.jpg
    Coppercooler.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I still like that idea. I think it would need to be added by the user at this point. I am fine with that if we can source or adapt the needed parts.

I still like that idea. I think it would need to be added by the user at this point. I am fine with that if we can source or adapt the needed parts.
Yeah, I think there could be quite a few post-production mods could be documented/discussed for those that are interested. i.e. few might be interested in fan mods to get a little boost in performance, but without irking those of us that would rather use silent/solid-state solutions.

To me, this is the killer feature of Pyra, as opposed to "mainstream alternatives" (with proprietary / closed-source, glued-together / non-serviceable parts).

It's exciting to think about what software/hardware modifications people will make.

That or vents are the only practical mods I am really considering right now. I want to check out the keyboard and gaming controls myself. I shouldn't have anything to complain about there (unlike the Pandora keyboard, which I still love because at least it has one). I might still think about how they could be improved. Everything else I want to do right now is just to pretty it up (imo), and possibly swap out the hinge to make it more secure at the angle I will probably use most often...so I guess that might be practical. Still hoping for a red or grey case.

I can't remember if anyone else asked this: would fiberglass in the case plastic significantly impact the ability to dissipate heat?

Maybe we should just take out a speaker and put in a fan. Need to find a place to put the switch for the fan.

.......and here we are after all of these years - arguing over details that should've been ironed out YEARS ago. I bought into this fiasco/preorder and complained and got banned a year or so ago. NOTHING has changed. I've been checking my original email account every month.....just in the hope that my order is ready....still the same ol'. No wonder I got banned. I pointed out the OBVIOUS. THE TRUTH.

Ban me again if you have to.

-Franko

Pretty excited about the progress. I personally don't get the concerns about the thermal throttling, when Ed confirmed it is not an issue.
It works very well for a raspberry pi 3 to add a passive tiny heat sink in a closed case.

.......and here we are after all of these years - arguing over details that should've been ironed out YEARS ago.

So, how can you properly take care of the heating when you have no idea...

1. ... how much heat the SoC produces in real usage
2. ... how much space you have in the case to put in heatsinks, etc.

I've had multiple ideas how to challenge the heat if need be for a long time already. But before we had a near final case and some devs making use of the CPU, 1. and 2. was still unknown.
That happened early August and by end of August we had a working solution already.
So what's the problem?

I bought into this fiasco/preorder and complained and got banned a year or so ago. NOTHING has changed. I've been checking my original email account every month.....just in the hope that my order is ready....still the same ol'. No wonder I got banned. I pointed out the OBVIOUS. THE TRUTH.

Ban me again if you have to.

I'm pretty sure you haven't been banned because you posted anything critical, as we're always up for discussions.
If we ban someone, then it's more if someone is constantly bashing, ignoring any answers given and not open for discussion.

Constructive criticism is fine and very welcome, blind bashing will lead to a warning and a ban in the end, as there are other users here who want to properly discuss things and don't want to read constant bashing from someone.

That said, if you have such an issue with that, what keeps you from cancelling your order and getting a refund?
While we're thankful for everyone supporting us and waiting that long (and even warned multiple times on the products page that the money might even be lost if something goes wrong), we don't want to be the reason for someone to be enraged, so a cancellation is no problem.

So, how can you properly take care of the heating when you have no idea...

1. ... how much heat the SoC produces in real usage
2. ... how much space you have in the case to put in heatsinks, etc.

I've had multiple ideas how to challenge the heat if need be for a long time already. But before we had a near final case and some devs making use of the CPU, 1. and 2. was still unknown.
That happened early August and by end of August we had a working solution already.
So what's the problem?

I'm pretty sure you haven't been banned because you posted anything critical, as we're always up for discussions.
If we ban someone, then it's more if someone is constantly bashing, ignoring any answers given and not open for discussion.

Constructive criticism is fine and very welcome, blind bashing will lead to a warning and a ban in the end, as there are other users here who want to properly discuss things and don't want to read constant bashing from someone.

That said, if you have such an issue with that, what keeps you from cancelling your order and getting a refund?
While we're thankful for everyone supporting us and waiting that long (and even warned multiple times on the products page that the money might even be lost if something goes wrong), we don't want to be the reason for someone to be enraged, so a cancellation is no problem.

I'm good with a refund at this point. I've watched this trainwreck for a few years.

Pretty excited about the progress. I personally don't get the concerns about the thermal throttling, when Ed confirmed it is not an issue.
It works very well for a raspberry pi 3 to add a passive tiny heat sink in a closed case.

Well, I'm no magician and we haven't even used the SGX or similar.
But it's the best we can do unless we want to add a fan, and we're not doing that.

We can't change the heat the OMAP5 produces, and future upgrades would run faster with less heat.
[doublepost=1512567726,1512567679][/doublepost]
I'm good with a refund at this point. I've watched this trainwreck for a few years.

Then you should go to the shop website, use the contact form and ask for a refund.
No idea why you burdened yourself so long with it.

Franko said:
Then you should go to the shop website, use the contact form and ask for a refund.
No idea why you burdened yourself so long with it.

EvilDragon, 1 minute ago Report
#117 Like + Quote Reply
sebt3 likes this.

--------------------

You didn't think that I would burden myself so long with it. I was curious after so long of a time to see what happened to my initial $350??? What happened.....and here we all are - arguing over the completion of a product and I'm a bad guy again - same ol' story.
[doublepost=1512568256,1512568092][/doublepost]Considering the exchange rate and how you do business... maybe I should wait another 20 years until you come out with the Pyra 2

Trashy - You and all of the other Mods were great. There is only one mean Aussie Mod here and he's no concern to me.

That being said, I'm a FAN of handheld electronics. To your inquiry - I've ordered stuff before I knew that I wouldn't be welcome. I've also ordered a GPD-WIN and a PYRA after I was banned. 'Cause I like the product(s). Maybe we'll see the latter someday.

Back