Finding software opportunities and common ground

To the two alternative browsers suggested:

Tor web browser is based on Firefox. Keep it simple and ship with Firefox.
or
Vivaldi browser is based on Chromium. Keep it simple and ship with Chromium.

Nothing is going to stop you from uninstalling either and installing the obscure browser of your choice. I get it, though. You are trying to protect us all from the sniffing and snooping that the top browsers have become so famous for. Kudos to you for that. But, either of the relatively obscure options you have presented will result in questions of, "What TF is this?" and "Where TF is the web browser?".

Since neither of these proposed browsers are in the Debian repository and would have to be side-loaded and separately maintained, my recommendation is to create them as .dbp packages?

Firefox is a bit clunky on the Pyra at the moment, Chromium works but I hear Vivaldi is faster (According to ED)

I see your point though.

At least now I'm reasonably confident Vivaldi will work on the Pyra. I was going to ask eventually but now I don't have to.

For the default image, I'd stick to stuff people generally recognize. I don't really care if none of the stuff I want to use are included, since I'll just modify stuff to my liking. Just make sure things are straightforward to install and remove and I'll be happy. Simple by default, customizable by preference, replacable by design.

What is your gauging of that, and for what people? It is a contrary measure to quality.
Chrome, Dropbox, Acrobat Reader, MS Office, iTunes, Skype, and WhatsApp and the like all have better counterparts.
Nobody up to 2500 should be more comfortable with these. Recognition is one measure, but generally speaking utility and community (also contrary) is what we need.

If OTOH finding something that has broad recognition that is good enough, like VLC, it still has too many general users up to 2500 to utilize its reach. (I am a contributor).

What apps came pre-bundled with the Pandora?

I guess similar apps to that for the Pyra, as I assume the target audience is largely the same.

Next to nothing because there was very limited space available. Right now the Pyra comes with solid, but a bit underwhelming stuff. Its just your 100% general expectations of a Linux desktop. It isn't exiting, there is no community, no connections are made, etc. We are exploring alternatives that make sense.
Pale Moon is different and similar enough compared to FF that exploring it makes sense, and the differences are _precicely_ appreciated for the type of people that we have and want more of up to 2500.

Fairly bare-boned like that, and a welcome script (zenity or something, so it has buttons and stuff) that asks if you want to install other "productivity" apps (like libreoffice, gimp, etc) or emulation apps, as a starting point feels reasonable to me...

Firefox works well for me.
Except that I don't like it being the ESL version.
Why should I want to use an outdated browser?

You mean firefox-esr ?
Debian by default bundles extended support version but it's not that old (v68).

Chromium as downloaded from Synaptic works quite well on the Pyra prototype.

Frankly, the only drawback to it that is that it isn't Chrome. Why? Because Chrome on Linux means being able to watch Netflix and Hulu.

We all seem to be in agreement that the Pyra must ship with a web browser. Check.

Any software included in the Pyra image that is not maintained via Synaptic i.e. apt is yet one more thing that limited resources on the Pyra team would wind up getting saddled with maintaining as current releases into the Pyra repository. This means that any of these not-in-debian-repository programs would add overhead.

Yes, they still have Pyra specific stuff to develop and maintain - which is where I would rather have their energies spent.

So, in my opinion, any of this software that is not Pyra specific (drivers, etc) that is also not in the Debian repository, should be done as .dbp packages.

Why? Because Chrome on Linux means being able to watch Netflix and Hulu.
That's not an issue, but us using armhf might be one. Anyway, try the following:

Step 1: Grab a ChromeOS image and extract the Widevine plugin for Chromium
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit

Someone even made a shell script for that. This might even work for Firefox.

Last edited:
You mean firefox-esr ?
Debian by default bundles extended support version but it's not that old (v68).

Now. But it will be like that for 2 years from now on.
I had the Pyra as there was Debian Stretch and they were using an ancient FireFox. Older than the Quantum releases.
We won't profit from any performance updates in the future when using the ESR release.

Chromium as downloaded from Synaptic works quite well on the Pyra prototype.

I don't want to use that one.
It's sending data to Google
Same for Vivaldi.
It works well on the Pyra. I used it while Stretch had the old FireFox-ESR release.
I won't if I don't have to.
I don't like Google technology and don't want to have on my Pyra.

I don't want to use that one.
It's sending data to Google
Not that I had any interest in using Chromium, but I thought Chromium is to Chrome what AOSP is to Android, i.e. pre-contamination software?

Back