Beta Firefox 3.6.6

hdonk said:
God Ginrai said:
hdonk said:
God Ginrai said:
Namoroka is just another name they use for the beta/alpha version of FireFox. (Just like Minefield back with Firefox 2.0)

-God Ginrai
Yes, except this was built from the 'release' source code, so I don't know why it's built tagged like that. Also 3.6.6 is a release version, not a RC version...

Edit:
I've just found the options to build an 'official' release. I'll kick it off later & repackage.

When you get a chance, would you be able to look into making a version of the PND that doesn't use the NAND at all? (No symlinks like the current ones use) I want to use Firefox and Fennec, but want all my data to be on the card so that when I remove it, I don't have any related data on my NAND.

-God Ginrai
I'd say that's a worthy goal for firefox. I'll add it to the ever growing pile :)

Thanks a lot. ^_^

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
Thanks a lot. ^_^

-God Ginrai
Just had a quick browse through the code, and it looks like it uses the HOME environment variable to determine where the config files, etc are stored. I'll look at changing the startup script so it changes HOME to the 'correct' path... It should be able to test this by setting HOME up before pnd_run ning the pnd file.

Very nice. I have it running with the following Firefox Add-ons:

Adblock Plus 1.2 (Block ads)
DownloadHelper 4.7.3 (Easily download videos from Youtube and others - Works very well!)
Last tab close button 0.3.2 (Clear last tab)
NoScript 1.9.9.98 (Block extraneous Javascript)

Looking forward to future releases. Thanks.

dgame said:
Very nice. I have it running with the following Firefox Add-ons:

Adblock Plus 1.2 (Block ads)
DownloadHelper 4.7.3 (Easily download videos from Youtube and others - Works very well!)
Last tab close button 0.3.2 (Clear last tab)
NoScript 1.9.9.98 (Block extraneous Javascript)

Looking forward to future releases. Thanks.

Nice. I plan on ABP and probably Noscript. I'm also planning on adding Vimperator and working on setting up a set of keybindings for Vimperator that will be Pandora-specific. ;)

-God Ginrai

For those of you following this saga, I have finally got 3.6.6 with the official branding & optimisations built!
I'll package it up shortly, and add the new location for the settings as mentioned earlier.

hdonk said:
For those of you following this saga, I have finally got 3.6.6 with the official branding & optimisations built!
I'll package it up shortly, and add the new location for the settings as mentioned earlier.

It's unlegal to ship the official firefox branding without their consent which mozilla fondation don't give out (see the debian iceweasel debacle)
Cool for the optimisations :)

any change of 4.0 beta with webM support ?

sebt3 said:
hdonk said:

It's unlegal to ship the official firefox branding without their consent which mozilla fondation don't give out (see the debian iceweasel debacle)
Cool for the optimisations :)

any change of 4.0 beta with webM support ?
Actually that's only true if you modify the source code. Which I haven't.

If you choose to distribute Mozilla binaries yourself, you should make the latest stable version available (of course, you probably want to do so as well). If you compile Mozilla unmodified source code (including code and config files in the installer) and do not charge for it, you do not need additional permission from Mozilla to use the relevant Mozilla Mark(s) for your compiled version. So that users get the latest code and security releases, we encourage you to always distribute the most current official release. The notification requirements of the Mozilla Public License have been met for our binaries, so although it's a good idea to do so, you are not required to ship the source code along with the binaries.

I'll try 4.0 beta soonish, but it's deffo not a priority.

I can't vouch for what's going on in the background but it all seems to work fine.

hdonk, you must be knackered with everything you have been doing recently!

Thanks again for all the work you have been putting into your projects.

pootle said:
I can't vouch for what's going on in the background but it all seems to work fine.

hdonk, you must be knackered with everything you have been doing recently!

Thanks again for all the work you have been putting into your projects.
No worries.

Latest build now uploading to appstore.

hdonk said:

The appstore says it is suspended. I downloaded it from the link above on my Pandora using the previous version. I am posting this using the new version.

First post from my Pandora! Cooooool........

Thanks again!

hdonk said:
The new version is currently at:
Firefox 366 with moved home directory, optimisations and official branding.
Can someone please try it and report back before I put it on the app store.

I tried it, and it asked me for a password, I guessed it was to change the name of .mozilla in my home directory. However, I do not have a .mozilla in my home directory, so I clicked cancel. Now the application will not run. -_- Can you make a version that doesn't assume that you were previously using NAND?

EDIT: I deleted the .gksu.lock, and sudo su'ed a terminal, then ran the pnd from the terminal. It worked, but I exited it to test if that fixed it, and it didn't run. I deleted the .gksu.lock and ran it again, this time, it asked to make a profile. However, the place it wanted to make a profile it was not allowed to write. It didn't write the .mozilla directory to appdata on the SD, it wrote it to appdata on NAND. (take a look at /pandora/appdata/.mozilla) How are you setting HOME?

-God Ginrai

dgame said:
hdonk said:

The appstore says it is suspended. I downloaded it from the link above on my Pandora using the previous version. I am posting this using the new version.

First post from my Pandora! Cooooool........

Thanks again!
The upload keeps failing so I've temporarily suspended it until that's fixed.

God Ginrai said:
hdonk said:

I tried it, and it asked me for a password, I guessed it was to change the name of .mozilla in my home directory. However, I do not have a .mozilla in my home directory, so I clicked cancel. Now the application will not run. -_- Can you make a version that doesn't assume that you were previously using NAND?

EDIT: I deleted the .gksu.lock, and sudo su'ed a terminal, then ran the pnd from the terminal. It worked, but I exited it to test if that fixed it, and it didn't run. I deleted the .gksu.lock and ran it again, this time, it asked to make a profile. However, the place it wanted to make a profile it was not allowed to write. It didn't write the .mozilla directory to appdata on the SD, it wrote it to appdata on NAND. (take a look at /pandora/appdata/.mozilla) How are you setting HOME?

-God Ginrai
As they say, assumption is the mother of all widdle pwobwems. The startup script does 2 things, depending on what directories are there. If there is a .mozilla directory in your home area is copies it to appdata. If there isn't a .mozilla directory in appdata/firefox or your home dir it has to create it. To do those it asks for the admin password. By refusing it, you've screwed up the state. If you sudo rm -rf /pandora/appdata/firefox/.mozilla and rerun and give the password things should be ok. The code does NOT assume you've used NAND before, but admittedly it should probably bomb out if you cancel the password dialog. I keep forgetting to protect against people who think they know better than the code!! 8]

Could you try the Video DownloadHelper Add-on with this version?

It doesn't seem to work like it did in the Namoroka version.

I select the Youtube video and it does not prompt me to save the file.

I also can't set the default download location in Tools\Options\Main Edit\Preferences\General.

I am in the middle of a re-flash so I cant test it right now.

I want to know if it works or if it just my setup.

Install this:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006/

and try to download a Youtube video.

I only need to know if it prompts you to save after you've selected the video.

I have the latest version downloaded above and before i started it, I deleted the firefox folder from pandora/appdata on the sd and from /pandora/appdata on the nand.
Whe I run this, it seems to create a new firefox folder in both locations: on the nand an d on the sd.

Is this intended?

hdonk said:
God Ginrai said:
hdonk said:

-God Ginrai
As they say, assumption is the mother of all widdle pwobwems. The startup script does 2 things, depending on what directories are there. If there is a .mozilla directory in your home area is copies it to appdata. If there isn't a .mozilla directory in appdata/firefox or your home dir it has to create it. To do those it asks for the admin password. By refusing it, you've screwed up the state. If you sudo rm -rf /pandora/appdata/firefox/.mozilla and rerun and give the password things should be ok. The code does NOT assume you've used NAND before, but admittedly it should probably bomb out if you cancel the password dialog. I keep forgetting to protect against people who think they know better than the code!! 8]

No, you don't understand. It is not making the .mozilla folder in appdata on my card. I just tried what you said again, and it put it in /pandora/appdata/firefox/.mozilla. I am not showing you a relative path. This is from the root directory ( / ). If you look in the SD's appdata, the only thing that is there is a lib folder. You are still writing to NAND. Once again, I ask you, what are you setting HOME to?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
No, you don't understand. It is not making the .mozilla folder in appdata on my card. I just tried what you said again, and it put it in /pandora/appdata/firefox/.mozilla. I am not showing you a relative path. This is from the root directory ( / ). If you look in the SD's appdata, the only thing that is there is a lib folder. You are still writing to NAND. Once again, I ask you, what are you setting HOME to?

-God Ginrai
I'm setting HOME to /pandora/appdata/firefox. It was my understanding this was mapped to a directory on the media that the PND is being run from - I'll admit to not possibly having undestood that correctly!

dgame said:
Could you try the Video DownloadHelper Add-on with this version?

It doesn't seem to work like it did in the Namoroka version.

I select the Youtube video and it does not prompt me to save the file.

I also can't set the default download location in Tools\Options\Main.

I am in the middle of a re-flash so I cant test it right now.

I want to know if it works or if it just my setup.

Install this:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006/

and try to download a Youtube video.

I only need to know if it prompts you to save after you've selected the video.

Thanks!!!
It's possible the plugin does not work with the home directory having been moved. I'll investigate.

hdonk said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
I'm setting HOME to /pandora/appdata/firefox. It was my understanding this was mapped to a directory on the media that the PND is being run from - I'll admit to not possibly having undestood that correctly!

And there lies the problem. That area is not mapped to the appdata directory. I believe the way that you do it would be a command to get current working directory. This should work: http://linux.die.net/man/3/getcwd Just try setting HOME to that.

EDIT: Oh, and sorry if I seemed angry in that post earlier, I was just trying to use emphasis to make sure you understood me correctly.

-God Ginrai

Back