First impressions, ideas for improvements, etc.

ible

professional vim user
somewhat low priority, but things i'm thinking:

left click (via right-nub left) is really handy, but i think it may be a better default for the file manager to use a single left click to open files/folders. double clicking to open stuff works most of the time, but can feel frustrating when it doesn't work.

it would be nice to ship with some internet browser, also. i don't actually have an opinion on what, but just something to show when you open up "Internet" in the start menu so you see something besides "Modem Manager GUI" :D

we may also want to ship with setting a max in cpufreq that's less than 1.5GHz so that people don't get too confused that they can't use their pyra and charge. on my first battery i had the pyra charging (slowly), just done `apt update` `apt upgrade` `apt install mplayer`, and then another `apt update` and the pyra died mid update (showing red blinkenlights), which i think means the battery was too hot. right now i'm locked at 500MHz max speed because i'm afraid of taxing it too much while charging.

[edit]
the other thing is pressing shift (and/or fn) to change the brightness of the screen (key backlight) with your right hand -- it's easy to accidentally fat-finger the power button with your left thumb going across.

it would have been nice to have the brightness button on the other side (left side) instead of right, since the keyboard-facing modifiers are on the right.

Last edited:
As far as I understand it (just by reading posts on this forum so far) an overheating battery shouldn't kill power to the unit, it should just resist any charging input until temperatures become more normal. If I had to guess I'd propose that red blinkenlights means it's out of juice, having been unable to charge and running at full pelt.

I'll just mention that as far as I've seen, funkeymonkey is pretty flexible when it comes to configuring the nubs. I'm not sure where that configuration lives though, I've only observed the configuration file in its git repo.

I'm not sure anyone will agree on what a good graphical modern standards compliant browser looks like. I like firefox but I'm aware others swear off using firefox these days. I guess it doesn't really affect me though, since I know how to install a browser without even having to use a browser on linux.

people who are picky enough about browsers on linux can also find the terminal and install one they like :D. hopefully my first battery isn't broken, i'll try charging it tomorrow, but maybe that's the source of my difficulties...

Reactions: rSl
the other thing is pressing shift (and/or fn) to change the brightness of the screen (key backlight) with your right hand -- it's easy to accidentally fat-finger the power button with your left thumb reaching across.

it would have been nice to have the brightness button on the other side (left side) instead of right, since the keyboard-facing modifiers are on the right.

this won't be as big of an issue once i get used to the shoulder-button modifiers, but it's still a little less new-user-friendly.

Back