Beta Flare

sebt3

homebrew player (P. & C.)
Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
Hey,

Yet an other game. You lag at beta-testing guys. I'm waiting for feedbacks....

Here is Flare. It's an isometric 3D game similar to Diablo. It's currently more a demo than a full game but yet it's very enjoyable already.
0005.jpg

BTW, this is technically osare (its old name) as the current svn is not in a playable state (too much crashes)
[ Blog ] - [ Dev-corner ] - [ Download ]

Edit : to play, use the d-pad to move and your stylus to shoot.

sebt3 said:
You lag at beta-testing guys. I'm waiting for feedbacks....

Sorry, I'm waiting for my replacement Pandora to get here. I'll test some of your stuff then. :)

The game looks nice, tho'. Looking forward to trying it.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
It may only be a short demo so far, but I loved playing this on my desktop! I don't know why I never thought of requesting it on Pandora. I look forward to playing this and future versions portably, once I get my Pandora.

Hi,

Thanks sebt3 for this new game, I'll test it ASAP :)

In a similar style, do you think Summoning Wars would run on the Pandora ?

From the offcial site:

Note that Summoning Wars 0.5.3 requires Ogre version>=1.7.0 and CEGUI Version>=0.7.0

Bye, Magic Sam

mcobit said:
Hah, now you have a reason to port ogre ;-)
I understand this is easier said than done :)
Could the new 3D drivers in HF5 beta 2 be of any help ?

Magic Sam said:
In a similar style, do you think Summoning Wars would run on the Pandora ?
This is the reason I want to build Ogre since a long time. I do play summuning wars on my PC.
Maybe I'll re-try this in a few days

mcobit said:
*holding breath*
Start breathing again, you'll be dead long before I release anything like this.

Back on topic, have anyone played this one ?
Does this build worth the file-archive ?

Hey it's my game! Glad to see people enjoying it. It's still in alpha so I understand if you want to wait before publishing this.

As for runtime errors -- doublecheck file permissions? Depending on how you did the svn checkout/update, you might end up with non-read-access files. It doesn't hurt to set all the resource files to global read/write. Also, make sure the executable is in the right place (the executable and the *contents* of the "resources" folder should be in the same place. In other words, the executable should have the same parent folder as these folders: enemies, fonts, images, etc. etc.

If you get other error messages please send them my way.

The game throws you right into it without much ado, and it took me a few seconds to remember I had to tap monsters to shoot. (I've been playing too many D-pad games.) It's really promising though. Zombies shamble towards you, there's a decently huge area to run around. The gameplay itself, at 750mhz, is a bit laggy. I felt like I was fighting through Jell-O (TM). It was fast enough to have fun, but not fast enough to really want to thoroughly explore.

The artwork as a whole is a bit all-over dark, but the variety of halls and miscellaneous architecture is lovely, and everything fits together well. This might be because I roamed the first chamber, which has a lot of dark zombies, and perhaps there hasn't been time to make brightly colored accent walls or such. It's a great base to build from though.

A quick splash screen indicating instructions would be useful, but, well, it's an alpha game, and as such, I'm not surprised at the lack of any starting menu. I thought it was amusing you start the game with just about every piece of equipment under the sun.

Great find. Looking forward to progress on the game, both from the author and the port.

I want to say that this game looks really promising...i can't wait to try it on my Pandora.
Thanks Sebt3 :) You and mcobit are great.

All,

I found a performance fix for Flare that might affect performance for you guys. The bleeding-edge version has the fix:
https://code.google.com/p/flare-engine/source/checkout

I also patched one "uninitialized variable" bug that might have been causing the crash-on-startup problem you were seeing.

Hope it helps!
-Clint

Clint Bellanger said:
All,

I found a performance fix for Flare that might affect performance for you guys. The bleeding-edge version has the fix:
https://code.google....source/checkout

I also patched one "uninitialized variable" bug that might have been causing the crash-on-startup problem you were seeing.

Hope it helps!
-Clint
awesome !
I've seen on your blog that the next release is overdue, does this mean you'll release something in the nexts fews days ?
If so, I will probably prefer to wait for your release. I'm overloaded theses days :(

sebt3 said:
Clint Bellanger said:
All,

https://code.google....source/checkout

Hope it helps!
-Clint
awesome !
I've seen on your blog that the next release is overdue, does this mean you'll release something in the nexts fews days ?
If so, I will probably prefer to wait for your release. I'm overloaded theses days :(

I anticipate the next version will come out soon. At worst: near the end of the month.

And I just downloaded a few things that sebt3 ported, and then I found this thing under action called flare and I gave it a try.
And I was surprised. This really is good. Unfortunately I couldn't find the save game ;-).
I think this game is in between Dink Smallwood (whatever the original author says, it's really a nice short RPG), and Divine Divinity.

DirtyCamper said:
Unfortunately I couldn't find the save game ;-).
It save when you quit the game. At least it dos now (a small errors of packaging, sorry).

And because of it, here are a few other changes :
- lastest code from Clint Bellanger (rev 218) (there are a lot's of changes here)
* Pandora specifics :
- changed VIEW_W to 800 - the game is now wide screen
- changed the secondary control to :
. the 2 nubs are aiming
. A is main shoot (M1)
. B is secondary shoot (M2)
. Start to quit

(I should have changed these before :blush: )

@Clint : You need to add only a main menu and this is will be excelent ;)

Back