Flash!......aaah...aaaaah!

I haven't had Flash crash in a long, long time.
What I get instead is occasionally a page will load up and just eat 100% CPU power for no apparently reason. Fortunately, flash doesn't know how to be multithreaded, and I've got 3 additional cores, otherwise I would be completely bogged down every time it happened.

TylerAW said:
This may be off topic but can Pandora do any form of Flash yet? :ph34r:
:lol: it's the first post in 3 pages that's been ON topic. and no

Last edited by a moderator:
aliking said:
:lol: it's the first post in 3 pages that's been ON topic. and no

Aww that sucks. There are some neat flash games out there and just the sheer amounts and complexity is enough to trump the iphone/iTouch and people consider that a mobile console.

Would've been awesome to see Need For Madness working on the Pandora. Perhaps a port by the dev's?
It's really fun, like a cross between Carmageddon and Need for Speed except you know with bad graphics (which is a good thing means it could maybe run smoothly on Pandy).

Well I somehow knew I should have added a disclaimer on this thread...please no HTML5 vs Flash battles :D

I'm just pumped, as are a few others on here, that playing amazing Flash games and watching Youtube vids may soon be possible on the Pandora.

I'm curious to see what some of the devs think about this exciting (IMHO) possibilty? Pickle, Exophase, skeezix, cpasjuste, DJWillis, DaveC, Notaz, Squidge, & others I may have missed, what are your opinions?

Since no one has answered my previous question, I'll ask it again...

Doesn't the open source GP2X Wiz have a flash player, and if it can do it why can't the Pandora?

Yes, I'll admit it, I'm seriously biased against apple (an antifanboi maybe?) so that is why I get so passionate about these flash vs html5 "fights". Especially because HTML5 was somewhat underground, until apple endorsed it and suddenly all sorts of people started mindlessly preaching about it, the second someone says something about flash someone pops in saying "flash is dead, long live html5" and so on and so forth.

I apologise for contributing derailing the thread even more, and to those of you that actually have to work with it, and suffer it, but I guess that is the same with any massive development tool, be it Visual C, Netbeans, Maya,..

I really hope we get Flash support on the Pandora, if nothing else just to play Flash games and attract Flash devs to the Pandora. But YouTube capability will surely make others interested a the Pandora.

On a side note, just installed 10.1 on my laptop and so far it seems to have improved my YouTube playback. Before I had problems with the image freezing in fullscreen. So far (not tested more then a few vids) I've not encountered this which makes me happy.

greendots said:
Can someone try this lib on pandora? http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html#android

You need a nexus one with android 2.2 in order to download the file.

Someone? Please?

(I hope it's not like the Maemo version that needs all of Hildon to work, but I expect it will be)

davidgro said:
greendots said:
Can someone try this lib on pandora? http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html#android

You need a nexus one with android 2.2 in order to download the file.

Someone? Please?

(I hope it's not like the Maemo version that needs all of Hildon to work, but I expect it will be)

I don't have an Android device, and without Android I can't download it.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
I don't have an Android device, and without Android I can't download it.

is it possible to use Firefox User Agent Switcher plugin to make the browser appear as though it's on an Android device?

if so, then one can download the Android SDK and use the device simulator to run it... does take a bit of set-up work, but it's all free.

EDIT: you prolly wouldn't even have to faff around with user agent switcher - just download through the simulator browser. gonna see if i can try that right now.

FINAL EDIT: the simulator reaches the page fine, but it won't install the Flash plugin unless you have a genuine NexusOne. the simulator doesn't have the proprietary code that the NexusOne has (it's just a 'generic' Android device).

The Android 2.2 flash .apk is floating around the intertubes and there's a 2.1 flash lite .apk around also. XDA Developers forums is probably the best place to start. Cyanogenmod forums may also be worth a look. It needs HTC Sense stuff too, I think.

TitanUranus said:

Doesn't the open source GP2X Wiz have a flash player, and if it can do it why can't the Pandora?
Since nobody answered your question*, I'll copy and paste from Wikipedia with my own interpretation:

"The Wiz also has Flash Player 8 with Action Script 2.0 support, allowing it to play popular flash games from the Internet."

Flash 8 is pretty old now, it probably won't play any videos. And I can't say how binary compatibility is between Wiz and Pandora, so we might not be able to run their Flash plugin.

Also, I haven't played any Flash games since... eons. Flash tends to attract shovelware and adware games that are really not fun at all.

Edit*: The reason nobody answered your question is because you have no avatar, so your post was absorbed into the insane amount of whitespace and signatures inserted by the forums.

I just bought the T-mobile mytouch 3g slide to replace a failing G1. Its a HTC handset running Android 2.1 with the Sense UI on top. It has a flash app, and I tried watching some youtube videos. While it worked with, and the chipset is running at 600 MHz, it eats up the battery horrifically quickly and got hot, much more so than surfing on wifi for a lengthy time. It would be cool to have flash, but my concern is the power drain. Would hardware acceleration help that at all?

I´d be willing to try to get the 2.2 stuf if anyone is interested and would point me in the right direction on where to start.

Batteries in phones are tiny compared to the pandora. When my phone is charging of my Pandora, the battery life of the pandora drops to about 5 hours - so flash should still be usable when we get it running.

You know one thing limiting HTML 5 is the flash IDE. They're going to have to make one at least as good as that for HTML 5 to be as successful for people making games and stuff. Unfortunately this will lead to ugly computer generated JavaScript that'll probably be slow. :(

Everyone interested in Youtube should go here for now:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54831-minitube/

lulzfish said:
TitanUranus said:

Since nobody answered your question*, I'll copy and paste from Wikipedia with my own interpretation:

"The Wiz also has Flash Player 8 with Action Script 2.0 support, allowing it to play popular flash games from the Internet."

Flash 8 is pretty old now, it probably won't play any videos. And I can't say how binary compatibility is between Wiz and Pandora, so we might not be able to run their Flash plugin.
I would suspect the Wiz's flash player is based on gnash, since it's Flash 8. Even if it's not, at the least Gnash should be available to the Pandora eventually. It's compatible up to Flash 8, and partially compatible with Flash 9, but not enough to be entirely useful.

Back