Flash Player Support

Kippykip

BFG 9000
Website
kippykip.com
How would Flash Player support (If any?) work on the Pyra?
I've heard about Lightspark and Gnash which are an unofficial Open Source alternative for Flash Player. Are they any good, or has anyone used them before?

It would be nice to play some old classic flash games with a touchscreen such as Bowman 2 for example. But it may not happen since Adobe is stubborn on releasing the source.

Some games might be better with the nubs, but there's gnash for rpi and it's in aptitude, so it should work?

Only flash game I know of is owata and that game is a pain in the neck, there's more flash animations i'd like to run than games though :D

You might as well forget about it. Flash Player is proprietary (so no one other than Adobe can port it), only an old beta version was ever available for ARM, and Gnash is only compatible up to around Flash 8 (most Flash stuff requires at least Flash 9 or 10). Lightspark isn't much better. So the only possible way to do it would be to use an x86 emulator, and that would probably be rather slow.

Doesn't Chrome (and chromiume) have it built in?
Doesn't really matter for me, I am happy to see flash finally die after getting neglected by Adobe for years

I guess most flash games I can think of are old enough to probably has good odds of running against anything that does flash 8.

But apart from those few retro time-wastes, I'd say that flash is pretty much a dead tech these days. Even some of the more morally dubious video streaming sites seem to have gone HTML5 recently, so I've not felt the need to enable flash for anything for about six months now. And video streaming was my main use for flash previously.

I guess most flash games I can think of are old enough to probably has good odds of running against anything that does flash 8.

But apart from those few retro time-wastes, I'd say that flash is pretty much a dead tech these days. Even some of the more morally dubious video streaming sites seem to have gone HTML5 recently, so I've not felt the need to enable flash for anything for about six months now. And video streaming was my main use for flash previously.
I just like to run old games I grew up with, I never use flash in the browser nowadays but I do use the standalone player often on my retro computer. In a way I'm kinda glad flash is dying in the modern web but also kinda sad since all the games I used to play online on my old pentium 4 will be lost in history.
You might as well forget about it. Flash Player is proprietary (so no one other than Adobe can port it), only an old beta version was ever available for ARM, and Gnash is only compatible up to around Flash 8 (most Flash stuff requires at least Flash 9 or 10). Lightspark isn't much better. So the only possible way to do it would be to use an x86 emulator, and that would probably be rather slow.
Yeah proprietary sucks which is why I was looking for open source clones. I couldn't find very much information at all about Lightspark, but from a video I saw it can do a better job than Gnash (it can at least show the flash YouTube player fully, Flash Player 9 can't even do that without graphical glitches).
But the games I have stored on my harddrive were made for flash player 7-9, so it sounds like a hit and miss then.

The only reason for me to have flash is to get spotify web player running.

But I read that on odroid it was possible tu run the full client with exagear. I hope this can be done in pyra.

The only reason for me to have flash is to get spotify web player running.

But I read that on odroid it was possible tu run the full client with exagear. I hope this can be done in pyra.
Same, video sites aren't a problem (anymore) but spotify is. I think they once had a flash-free implementation but went away from it because they wanted flash's DRM for decoding the songs.

about spotify:
they stopped support for their native arm sdk. it still kinda works on the pandora, but they shifted towards ios and android support only.

so yes, a native spotify client is basically possible on the pandora. i started development but faced adamant issues concerning sound output. it does play songs, but stutters way too much. :(

I used to use the android spotify client on my Pandora but that doesn't work anymore either. I have a lot of troubles getting android gapps to function correctly and it's all just too crappy slow now. It's still android gingerbread 2.3 so I guess it's no surprise stuff is being phased out.
I'd love to be able to play spotify and netflix on my Pyra when I get it tho

I managed to get Gnash and lightspark on my debian test machine.
Iightspark I would say is a bit crap, but I believe it's just made for online video players and not flash games. If you try to run the majority of the flash games through it, lightspark just uses Gnash anyway.

With every single game, the music looping was a bit off, making games with short music loops have a brief bit of silence.

Stickicide 1 & 2 - collisions completely fucked, unplayable.
Stickman sam 1 - Heavy sound glitches, game runs fine.
Stickman sam 2 - Heavy sound glitches, game runs fine.

Stickman sam 3 - Heavy sound glitches, certain gameplay elements don't trigger.
Stickman sam 4 - Completely broken, too new for Gnash?
Interactive Buddy - Menus are broken, so you can't have any fun.

TheImpossibleGameLite - Seems perfect
Tinker Ball - Perfect

Gravity Master - Completely broken, too new for Gnash?
Clown Killer - Seems perfect
Clown Killer 2 - Loaded with graphical glitches, HUD being most important. But works otherwise.
Crush The Castle - Completely broken, too new for Gnash?
Free Rider 2 - Everything works except for loading (Can't use CTRL+V)... That's a problem.
Defend your Castle - Seems perfect
Bowman - Seems perfect.
Bowman 2 - Bird hunting is broken, but otherwise it's fine.

Bloxorz - Seems perfect
An average day at school - Seems perfect
All hallows eve - Seems fine, just slow especially in Fullscreen.

QWOP - Completely broken, too new for Gnash?
Defend your computer - Seems perfect
Demolition city 2 - Completely broken, too new for Gnash?
n 1.2 & 1.4 - Very minor lines in between the grey blocks. Otherwise it's perfectly fine.
n 2.0 - Completely broken, too new for Gnash?
Arcane the stone circle - Loads endlessly in the corner, but intro is fine, well somewhat... heh...
Wrath 2 - Can't close instruction dialog, making it unplayable. The loading game works fine however.

Zombie Erik - Background is very misaligned, otherwise is fine.
Ultimate Flash Sonic - Heavy sound glitches, collisions are very broken.
Tactical Assassin - Seems perfect, considering this ran on the PSP fine.
Flash Pacman - Seems perfect.

Super Mario Flash - Heavy sound glitches, box collisions are somewhat broken.
Daddy and me - Player is invisible, can't attack anything. Rage music plays when not in rage mode.
Divine intervention: Priest endlessly walks out of the door and dying sequence doesn't play properly. Making you have to restart the game walking over dead corpses kills you still also. Also no music.

Ant City - Rectangular boxes around certain objects, after blowing up the truck screen stays white.
Donkey Kong - Font is a little off but basically perfect.
Double Wires - Physics are completely broken, falls through the ground.
Duck Hunt - Ingame cursor doesn't follow the mouse, otherwise it's perfect if you click the "show mouse" option.
Golden Gate Drop - Seems perfect
Battleships General Quarters 2 - Seems perfect
Tanks - Seems perfect
3D Worm - Seems perfect
Kaboom - Seems perfect

Line Rider Beta 2 - Introduction text is very messed up, but game works perfectly fine otherwise.
Security - Website text is instead a thin blue line. Otherwise perfect.
3D Frogger - Seems perfect
Catch a shit 2 - Seems perfect

Lightspark is Armhf and the Pyra OS also.
Should work :D
Yep:
Code:
trashy@trashy-pyra:~$ sudo apt search lightspark
sudo: unable to resolve host trashy-pyra
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done

browser-plugin-lightspark/stable 0.7.2-6 armhf
  High-performance SWF player - Mozilla Plugin (experimental)

lightspark/stable 0.7.2-6 armhf
  High-performance SWF player (experimental)

lightspark-common/stable 0.7.2-6 armhf
  High-performance SWF player - common data

lightspark-dbg/stable 0.7.2-6 armhf
  High-performance SWF player (experimental) - Debug symbols

Also:
Code:
browser-plugin-gnash/jessie-backports 0.8.11~git20150419-1~bpo8+1 armhf
  GNU Shockwave Flash (SWF) player - Plugin for Mozilla and derivatives

gnash/jessie-backports 0.8.11~git20150419-1~bpo8+1 armhf
  GNU Shockwave Flash (SWF) player

gnash-common/jessie-backports 0.8.11~git20150419-1~bpo8+1 armhf
  GNU Shockwave Flash (SWF) player - Common files/libraries

Although we will most likely be using Stretch before official release.

Yep:
Code:
trashy@trashy-pyra:~$ sudo apt search lightspark
sudo: unable to resolve host trashy-pyra
Sorting...

Also:
Code:
browser-plugin-gnash/jessie-backports 0.8.11~git20150419-1~bpo8+1 armhf

Although we will most likely be using Stretch before official release.
Ah excellent, as that was the gonna be the main purpose!
It's kinda sad that not many of the "good" flash games I have work with Gnash but the primary purpose would be just for those few websites that use flash for playing video (lightspark seems to be able to do well with this so far).

I would recommend we use pepperflash ripped from Chrome OS for ARM. Same as people have done on the RPi.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=99202&start=25
Now that's got me interested!

I have a bit of an update, I recently got my hands on a Raspberry Pi 3, and flash player works out of the box on Chromium despite being Arm.
How did they manage that? All the games I've loaded on it work surperb

Back