flash video player?

paolofanin

Still Fresh
Hello

I am waiting for my pandora to arrive soon. I would like to know if the flash videos in internet sites like youtube or similar play, because I am willing to buy an android tablet for that but if pandora does it I will not .

Thanks

PAOLO

It does not yet.

The existing version of the gnash (open source Flash) plugin doesn't work, however there have been updates recently that makes it work, we just need someone to build the update, test it, and merge it into the core. It's not a trivial thing to do, but it'll happen eventually, hopefully not too long.

There's also the chance of getting the official adobe plugin working. Some good folks are working on it, but it's taking a while.

It'll probably be another few months before we have any sort of really working flash capable of playing youtube and other online video sites. It might not be until next year though, it's kind of hard to say. It will happen eventually.

then why are these on the included package list?

swfdec - 0.9.2-r1.5

swfdec-gnome - 2.26.0-r0.5

swfdec-mozilla - 0.9.2-r1.5

http://pandorawiki.o...ed_Package_List

Even if swfdec works, it'll be compatible with virtually nothing on the internet. AFAIK it only has good compatibility with earlier flash versions up to 4, with some support for features here and there up to 9. Not sure if it actually works at the moment.

then why are these on the included package list?

swfdec - 0.9.2-r1.5

swfdec-gnome - 2.26.0-r0.5

swfdec-mozilla - 0.9.2-r1.5

http://pandorawiki.o...ed_Package_List
If you go to a bunch of random websites, you'll see that flash is working by the ads that are being displayed. That's about all the flash swfdec can handle anymore, everything else has been updated to require Flash 9 for some reason. That's why I disable the flash plugin. The version of Gnash currently in the angstrom repository is quite outdated. If someone compiles a more recent version, we should have some not-perfect-but-still-good flash playback. It would definitely be compatible with youtube, and should be compatible with most other video sites.

Has anyone looked into porting Lightspark? It was featured on Slashdot a while back, and though it's still pretty early in development, it seemed like a more modern replacement for Gnash.

--Zero

Lightspark seems to be very x86 focused. I don't think it'd be an easy thing to port, but I could be wrong.

Lightspark is still years behind even being close to Gnash. Actually, I haven't seen a single flash file that actually works flawless with it and it likes to segfault - a LOT. If you ask me, it is a waste of time even trying. Besides, it still keeps changing that quickly that it is kinda 'raining' updates. Wait at least half a year and then ask again.

Hey guys,

Just curious as to whether there have been any progress made on making flash video playable on the Pandora. I noticed that some have been putting some effort into making Android OS a possibility. Which would be great as I've seen Opera mobile handle youtube like a champ ;)

Also, as a total noob, I wasn't if was feasible to create a port of Opera mobile, Skyfire, or even PSPtube for the Pandora. Please be kind as I have no idea as to what kind of effort would be required to do any of these :)

Any friendly update would be greatly appreciated since I'm waiting on pins and needles over here....

What about the flash player off the Nokia N900? Would that work? That thing was running Linux on the same chipset as Pandora and it had a perfectly working flash player. (Screen, RAM, CPU are all the same)

What about the flash player off the Nokia N900? Would that work? That thing was running Linux on the same chipset as Pandora and it had a perfectly working flash player. (Screen, RAM, CPU are all the same)

It depends on a lot of userspace libs the pandora doesn't have, and they might be tricky to get working properly on Ångström. There is a generic OMAP3 flash player in development by Adobe, but it's way too slow atm..

Someone tried that. It had a lot of dependency on Android libraries as I recall, to the point that it was almost the entire system anyway :p

I think there were improvements made, but then some interest was lost.

Rats :(

And WebOS one isn't going to work either? Same chipset and all?

Someone tried that. It had a lot of dependency on Android libraries as I recall, to the point that it was almost the entire system anyway :p

I think there were improvements made, but then some interest was lost.

You mean maemo, right?

for me some .flv are played by mplayer. It's more gambling than using a feature - because I had to try several times.

Back