For You Guys Who Want More Battery On Your Pandora

suffer1989

Still Fresh
http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/high-capacity-solar-charger-and-battery-20000mah/

Solar Powered too :D

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/solar-vest-solar-battery-charger-for-portable-electronics/

this one's better

Bad sxperience here. I bought a xpal 8000 some time ago. Should contain 8000mah at 5v. But no, it could only charge my 3gs 3 and a half time on a full charge. Should have been about 7 times at least.

Pleng said:
suffer1989 said:

Does it also have the option of charging from the mains? Else it's no more than a very expensive gimmick, I'm afraid!

At a Glance...
20,000 mAh Battery and Solar Charger
Battery itself can be recharged quickly via AC adapter, car charger, or even by solar energy
29 unique adapter tips, works with most electronic devices
Power and charge electronic devices on-the-go
Includes a free carrying bag

Emphasis mine, apparently yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of these It's a little Panasonic thing that runs on 2xAA rechargables and provides up to 90 minutes of usb charging. But you can just slide off the cover and put another couple of AA's in. I carry four more batteries in a plastic case, so thats 4.5 hours of charging in a package that'll easily fit in your jeans pocket and you can obviously carry more batteries if you like.

If you're serious about getting more battery life, get one of these bad boys:
car-battery.jpg

zhasha said:
car-battery.jpg

OR... you could buy a bunch of extra Pandora batteries for... about $20 each? ;)

zhasha said:
car-battery.jpg

That massive battery actually brings up a good point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't 12V x 40 Ah = 480 Watt-hours, and 5V x 20 Ah (aka 20,000 mAh) = 100 Watt-hours?

By that measure, shouldn't the battery pack in in that solar rig be at almost 1/4 the size of a car battery, and quite heavy? The way they sling it around in the video there, it looks very lightweight, and I seriously question whether or not it's actually large enough to hold that battery pack.

QBJECT said:
By that measure, shouldn't the battery pack in in that solar rig be at almost 1/4 the size of a car battery, and quite heavy? The way they sling it around in the video there, it looks very lightweight, and I seriously question whether or not it's actually large enough to hold that battery pack.
The car battery is lead-acid, deep cycle, and very heavy. It's well suited to being discharged very low and able to recharge back to full many times, as well as being able to supply sudden huge spikes in amperage. It can also be rapid charged by just supplying more and more energy, although much of the energy may start to be lost as heat.
The solar battery is probably lithium based, mid cycle, extremely energy dense and light. It's best suited for small applications where energy density is more important than energy spike or rapid charge. If you discharge it too far, it will crystalize and explode. If you try to draw too much at once, it will short and explode. If you try to rapid charge, it will overheat and explode, violently.
Long story short, lead-acid batteries are very, very hardy, but are also very big and heavy. Li-po/ion batteries are smaller and lighter for the same capacity as the lead-acid, but aren't nearly as durable.

OP's battery is actually 20Ah at 3.7v, not 5v, if you scroll WAY down. That's 74Wh, or 15.4% the capacity of the car battery. I think the average car battery is like 35 pounds, and considering that lithium cells tend to have something like 6x the power to weight of lead acid.. With all these numbers I've pulled out of my ass, OP's battery should be about .9 pounds.

Which actually looks about right, 8x 2500mAh 18650 lithium cells at 45g each would be .8 pounds :)

So OP's battery weighs about 1 pound, and costs about 3x what it should, if it even has the capacity it claims.

suffer1989 said:
I got it :D

It doesnt weigh much, just under 1 kg.

Holly crap, what did it do to the fabric below it? :eek: No way in hell it was like that before. :p

atomicthumbs said:
http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/solar-vest-solar-battery-charger-for-portable-electronics/

this one's better

153temo.jpg

zya8ac.jpg

nbbuw3.jpg

suffer1989 said:
Is that a console on a Sansa Fuze?
How did you do that?

EDIT: Oh it's just a text battery display, but even so that doesn't look like the default firmware.

Aninhumer said:
suffer1989 said:
Is that a console on a Sansa Fuze?
How did you do that?

EDIT: Oh it's just a text battery display, but even so that doesn't look like the default firmware.
It looks like Rockbox, maybe one of the debug screens.

Tom` said:
It looks like Rockbox, maybe one of the debug screens.
I'm sure last time I checked it wasn't available.
Must have a go with that.

Back