Frash

milkshake said:
Well youtube didnt used to be owned by Google anyway and when youtube first started it used flash because it was the best solution at the time and has been for a long time.
Only recently we have begun to see a move to h264 mp4 (including Youtube) thanks to apple products; I think thats gonna change soon because people will have to pay rolalties to use those codecs eventually they are only free at the moment, the cost of which gets added onto cost of the OS for example windows and MacOs, not sure how this would work on linux systems.

Google/Youtube is now trying to champion webm webm website link which is meant to be open source codec which should be free for everyone but I bet companies will try to claim patents on it so who knows.

Anyways thats the story of why Youtube uses flash.
More reasons from the horse's mouth as they say. http://apiblog.youtube.com/2010/06/flash-and-html5-tag.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Fzero said:
I don't know about all that myself, sounds like this ELF method could be a cleaner option though.
ELF simply means Executable and Linking Format. All (I think it's all... is there another format that I'm not aware of?) binary executables and libraries in *nix use the ELF format. It contains a section which says which processor(s) the file is intended for, the libraries it requires, the compiled code, plus any static data it might contain inside the binary.
In this case, one argument goes that we should be able to take the Android ELF which says "runs on these particular systems and requires these libraries" and hack it up a bit so that it will be accepted by our system using a different set of (possibly further hacked up) libraries. The executable and static data should be basically the same, since it's the same architecture, more or less.

WizardStan said:
Fzero said:
I don't know about all that myself, sounds like this ELF method could be a cleaner option though.
ELF simply means Executable and Linking Format. All (I think it's all... is there another format that I'm not aware of?) binary executables and libraries in *nix use the ELF format. It contains a section which says which processor(s) the file is intended for, the libraries it requires, the compiled code, plus any static data it might contain inside the binary.
In this case, one argument goes that we should be able to take the Android ELF which says "runs on these particular systems and requires these libraries" and hack it up a bit so that it will be accepted by our system using a different set of (possibly further hacked up) libraries. The executable and static data should be basically the same, since it's the same architecture, more or less.

I'm pretty sure I remember there being certain distros that used something other than ELF, but I don't remember for sure.

-God Ginrai

paulguy said:
You all realize that this is pretty much unneeded and mostly irrelevant to running flash plugin on the pandora.

This is mostly so you can load the linux (ELF) .so file in iphone OS (Mach-O), and let it interface with safari, in iphone OS.

We just need to load a linux (ELF) .so in linux (ELF) through a Mozilla plugin interface, which it may already be compliant with. At worst in that case we'd just need some libraries, otherwise, we'd just need a translation layer that, while complex, would be much simpler than frash (Though if that's the case, Frash could be used as documentation for writing the translation.).

I think the "at worst" is relevend, there was an other thread about the android binaries, and it seems to have some adroid dependancy... that frash might simplify the task a bit... or not...

This is off-topic for the thread, but this interests me:

This is mostly so you can load the linux (ELF) .so file in iphone OS (Mach-O), and let it interface with safari, in iphone OS.

Anyone know if its possible to go the other way around - use an iPhone library on Linux?

I have a small library which does some very basic i/o+processing, has two functions exported for the job .. it was built for iPhoneOS 3.x, and I would like to use it under Linux (PandoraOS).. anyone know if that is at all possible, somehow? Would be really good, as I don't have the source available.

Fzero said:
I didn't bother linking through because I don't know for sure what add-on my mate has, if it was this frash one or something else. He has the desire android phone but I just read that flash on android is only on the new froyo 2.2 version, I think my mate must have the 2.1 version only so he was never able to even view flash, untill the other day when someone released an add-on/mod [on xda dev forum]
....<snip>
My HTC Desire came with HTC's own 'YouTube Player' included, does a reasonable job of playing YouTube Videos such as Craigix's Wizzly Demo

torpor said:
This is off-topic for the thread, but this interests me:

Anyone know if its possible to go the other way around - use an iPhone library on Linux?

I have a small library which does some very basic i/o+processing, has two functions exported for the job .. it was built for iPhoneOS 3.x, and I would like to use it under Linux (PandoraOS).. anyone know if that is at all possible, somehow? Would be really good, as I don't have the source available.

I imagine it would be if you write a loader for it and any dependencies it has, like the Frash people have done. Certainly overkill for a "small library". :p

Nation.A.List said:
Fzero said:
I didn't bother linking through because I don't know for sure what add-on my mate has, if it was this frash one or something else. He has the desire android phone but I just read that flash on android is only on the new froyo 2.2 version, I think my mate must have the 2.1 version only so he was never able to even view flash, untill the other day when someone released an add-on/mod [on xda dev forum]
....<snip>
My HTC Desire came with HTC's own 'YouTube Player' included, does a reasonable job of playing YouTube Videos such as Craigix's Wizzly Demo

That does the same thing as the iPhone did for youtube, I'm sure. It probably doesn't even touch flash.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
That does the same thing as the iPhone did for youtube, I'm sure. It probably doesn't even touch flash.

-God Ginrai
It doesn't it also uses the mp4 feed :)

God Ginrai said:
I'm pretty sure I remember there being certain distros that used something other than ELF, but I don't remember for sure.

-God Ginrai
The only alternative I'm aware of is COFF, which I believe Apple and Windows uses. I don't know of any Linux distros that use COFF, but there may be.

Back