free PC games (steam)

I do like older FPSs.  Over time a lot of things changed, and what appealed to me vanished.  Many modern ones just have a completely different feel.  I like games where you can jump into it and just run around with somewhat unrealistic weapons, and you aren't sitting around for half the game listening to a story, and need to coordinate with others to be able to play.  I want to get straight into it and zap or blow up everyone (including myself, sometimes).

I know there are many people who dislike or disagree with these types of games trying to mimic certain things that resemble reality.  I am not bothered by that stuff, but I do agree that there is the potential for it to have a negative influence on some people, and understand the value of the opinions of those opposed to it.

I would like to hear from someone who has played it.  Maybe someone who claimed a key can give a mini review comparing gameplay to that of an early FPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Half-life was around the time when the changes I mentioned started to seem universal.  I like it, but many new series and games after that started to have a different feel.  Maybe they were just trying to add too much story or something.  I don't know why this would make me like those games less, since I love a good story.  I can't remember the titles, but most that I tried and didn't like were of the variety DREDD mentioned.

They still seem to be going pretty quick when they arrive, so maybe I will watch a few gameplay videos.

They still seem to be going pretty quick when they arrive, so maybe I will watch a few gameplay videos
Just remember that they are shown for the world to grab.  This means that some one could have a bot sweeping them up before others can get them, or, perhaps, people are going though forums grabing keys as they see them.  When people state that they want a key, they have to put more effort into it, which means longer periods of time between keys being taken. 

Overall, the keys quick disappearance means little in regards to positive or negative quality. 

-Glyph Reader

Am I understanding correctly that if I might like it I should grab it, instead of leaving it for others who would like it since they may not be the ones getting the keys?

I have 3 more Insurgency keys if you guys want them. What I'll do is PM you the link if you're interested. That way we'll be sure they're going to actual community members.

I have some GOG games to gift:

The Witcher 2

Torchlight

Dungeon Keeper Gold

Little Big Adventure

for those who don't know, if you visit gog.com for seven days until Nov 25 and click the little 'stamp' thing on the main page, you'll get The Witcher 2 for free.  (just one away for me.)

but are you allowed to give away gog games? since there's no DRM...

for those who don't know, if you visit gog.com for seven days until Nov 25 and click the little 'stamp' thing on the main page, you'll get The Witcher 2 for free.  (just one away for me.)
 I normally collect freebies to give away later, but I can't be bothered doing that seeing that I own the game already...

Speaking of freebies, please someone take my spare copy of Metro 2033 soon, it expires in 2 days.

Metro 2033

Some other spare games from latest Humble Bundle:

Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy

KickBeat Steam Edition

Back