Staff member
Website
pokeparadox.itch.io
WEBSITE
https://github.com/pokeparadox
YOUTUBE
pokeparadox
Hi guys,
basically I have about 45-50MB left of NAND space, and I was just wondering what we can now remove that isn't really needed.

I have followed the guide to remove Pidgin and use the PND version.
Abiword, Gnumeric I removed by doing
Code:
sudo opkg remove gnumeric --force-depends

I seem to remember that the PowerVR demos were also on NAND... how do we remove those... any other space saving tips?

Ideally I want to leave lots of space and then switch XFCE for LXDE... so any tips?

The only tip that springs to my mind at this moment is to check for caches, logs, and whatever else, that some applications like to plonk on the NAND, and clear those out (for example, I'm pretty sure Pidgin does this by default). I recalling seeing a couple of posts over time from folks for whom these things had really racked up.

PokeParadox said:
I seem to remember that the PowerVR demos were also on NAND... how do we remove those...
They were removed a few hot fixes ago, much to my dismay. I was trying to show off some pretty graphics an couldn't find them. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
rm -r /usr/bin/qt4/
there are the qt4 demos and examples. That is the main thing I remember to get space.

If you want more space than the one you get by uninstalling things you can use UPX to compress some big executables, like mplayer, or the samba binaries to get 50% more space. [topic='55761']Here are the binaries[/topic] I compiled some months ago if you want to try it. It works well.

Should the next notfix not include these compressed binaries by default. That could leave some nice extra space for other libraries and things like a JVM.

slaeshjag said:
Isn't the filesystem itself compressed?
The NAND is formatted with UBIFS which supports on-the-flight compression with zlib or LZO, IIRC ED said that it was used as well.
The old rootfs that I still have on my drive is significantly larger than 512MB, so I think it is indeed being used.

The question is: Would it be more efficient to disable the filesystem's compression for executables and compress each executable separately, or is the added overhead larger than the small gain from using the stronger compression used by UPX?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back