Frets On Fire

When you consider Stepmania vs. Guitar Hero DS (or whatever it's called) on the Pandora, the two are actually quite similar in terms of gameplay. Often times when people play Stepmania with a keyboard, they use 4 keys in the same row. A guitar hero clone would be pretty much the exact same thing (except you may just want to move your 4 or 5 buttons closer together or closer to the edge of the Pandora), except of course the strumming. In concept, both will require you to properly time your hitting of 4 or 5 keys in a row as the notes/arrows fall/rise to the appropriate zone on the screen. It seems like you could just take any old Stepmania clone and add a "Guitar Hero" plug in and get what you're after.

EH... never seen stepmania played that way... seen all on the arrow keys (thay guy was freakish good) and wasd + arrow keys (i beleive it is called the spread style) never on the same row...

I haven't been into music simulation games in years, so maybe times have changed? I do know that it is not an uncommon playing style (I used to use 1 2 9 0 --- Left Down Up Right) that works rather well (I'm not sure if he still plays, but ask Rico).

The guy you say was probably Arch0wl (or something like that). Yes, he plays on the arrow keys. I know it seems counter-intuitive to not play on arrow keys (or a button layout that does not mimic a dance pad), but trust me, it's a pretty good system and make the game very playable.

PlopperZ said:
cb88 said:
FretsonFire = good game bad implementation therefore bad idea for the pandora
Stepmania = good game better implementation better on pandora controls

stemania has some pretty far out effects too... for making it more difficult
You forget one thing:
Stepmania=Dance Dance Revolution clone
Frets on Fire=Guitar Hero clone

DDR≠Guitar Hero

You are being a little narrowminded there... Yes StepMania is primarily used for DDR simulation, but it also has interfaces to handle BeatMania amongst other things. It could be refashioned to give a GH clone.

GuitarFun would be a good port since it seems to be much better on system resources (FoF is awful even on this new laptop :/)

But I think Beat2X would be best modified to support GH style play :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think GuitarFun would be a good port option. It plays FoF songs without modification and seems to easily allow it's controls to be changed. Since it's been ported to the Wii, it has been modified to work with USB keyboards, the Les Paul, Wiimotes w/ and w/out nunchuck, etc., so it seems as though it could easily be made to work with the Pandora's controls.

jakshep2 said:
and you can use the xbox 360 X - Plorer guitar for it, aswell...
Maybe someone should produce a little bar, with 5 buttons on the top, that can be plugged at the back of the pandora. Then it could be used as a perfect portable guitar-controller without looking ridiculous. :) The buttons could also be used as media-buttons while playing mp3...

The bar may contain additional goodies like an usb-hub, gps, umts or addional sd-slots. :)

Dreaming.... B)

conso said:
jakshep2 said:
Maybe someone should produce a little bar, with 5 buttons on the top, that can be plugged at the back of the pandora. Then it could be used as a perfect portable guitar-controller without looking ridiculous. :) The buttons could also be used as media-buttons while playing mp3...

The bar may contain additional goodies like an usb-hub, gps, umts or addional sd-slots. :)

Dreaming.... B)

If you're talking about a something similar to the GH:OT attachment, you could probably do the same thing with the bottom buttons of the keyboard.

PlopperZ said:
conso said:
jakshep2 said:

Dreaming.... B)

If you're talking about a something similar to the GH:OT attachment, you could probably do the same thing with the bottom buttons of the keyboard.

Cool, didn't know something like this existed :)
My idea would be similar, but not the same. I thought it should be placed at the back of the pandora and give the pandora some extra-functionality. The buttons should be placed on top to be a little more "natural".
If the Pandora display can be bend 180° bottom buttons should work, but I guess with a well designed gadget, it would be 2x more fun :)

i can hack an usb keyboard and make it small, and use it as a guitar, can't i?
and i think controls will not be the problems.

:)

Zoppe said:
i can hack an usb keyboard and make it small, and use it as a guitar, can't i?
and i think controls will not be the problems.

:)
good luck removing the connections to the keys, you would probably just be better off buying a x-plorer off of ebay.

conso said:

Dreaming.... B)
I've been thinking about that myself. A small version of the GH Guitar that's JUST small enough to fit into your pocket, but has everything on the real GH Guitar, 5 Frets, strummer, Whammy, Start, etc.

Mini Portable Guitar Hero USB Guitar for the Pandora (Mouthful), I'd use it for FoF. :D

Ever tried GH3 with the Keyboard? It worked out pretty well.

I was just thinking, if this was ported, we would need an option to flip the screen upside down, so that we can use the bottom keys on the keyboard as the frets (Frets on fire is played with the keyboard upside down)

Mattz said:
I was just thinking, if this was ported, we would need an option to flip the screen upside down, so that we can use the bottom keys on the keyboard as the frets (Frets on fire is played with the keyboard upside down)
That, or a freakishly awesome small Guitar

Back