Frontend For All Emus?

dcpmark posted on Mar 16 2007 at 09:18 PM said:
JyCet posted on Mar 16 2007 at 09:54 AM said:
Well done it's a good bounty only for a little universal frontend ! :)

Thanks! Hopefully someone will step forward to collect it, and others who want the frontend will add to the $100.

The main problem is IMO not a missing frontend but the emulator itself. A lot of emulators don't have command line options and so it will not be able to start the games with gmenu2x or another frontend. I don't understand why some emulators (like vice) lost commandline options after porting, but maybe there's a good reason for it.

Gmenu2x is great, it's maybe not exactly what you want, but very very close. Now we need better commandline support.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I've already started something like this, though I'm not all that close to finishing it. Heh. I have far too many little projects that I start but don't ever finish :p

Mudi posted on Mar 17 2007 at 12:00 PM said:
FWIW at I've already started something like this...

I think we know what it could be worth: at least $100..... :)

B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
A lot of emulators don't have command line options and so it will not be able to start the games with gmenu2x or another frontend.

Do you know if MAME, PicoDrive, GnGeo2X or PocketSnes have command line options? These are the main 4 ones that interest me.....maybe Gpsp2X as well.

gngeo, mame have command lines but pocketsnes no and i think picodrive is the same.
Maybe if you ask to Notaz to add command line for the next version of his emulators ;)

Yod4z posted on Mar 18 2007 at 11:11 AM said:
gngeo, mame have command lines but pocketsnes no and i think picodrive is the same.
Maybe if you ask to Notaz to add command line for the next version of his emulators ;)

Picodrive has command line support as well. Already asked Reezy to add command line support in the next version of PocketSnes.

B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
Yod4z posted on Mar 18 2007 at 11:11 AM said:

Picodrive has command line support as well. Already asked Reezy to add command line support in the next version of PocketSnes.

Well, that's three of the four! I will amend the bounty to make it applicable for a frontend that launches games from the 3 emus with command line support (MAME, Picodrive, and GnGeo2x). As more devs add command line support maybe they can be easily added to the frontend.

Would you envisage the frontend would scan multiple directories (say) under /roms and create an ordered list of them (with maybe a column for pertinent emulator).
Would be nice to have an inifile of some sort to configure the emulator commandlines??

kevcal posted on Mar 19 2007 at 04:55 AM said:
Would you envisage the frontend would scan multiple directories (say) under /roms and create an ordered list of them (with maybe a column for pertinent emulator).
Would be nice to have an inifile of some sort to configure the emulator commandlines??

Yes, I would hope that the frontend would have various sort options, i.e, alphabetically, by platform, etc, and of course have the option to display only working, found roms like Rage 2X does. I would also hope that the frontend can set configs for each game regardless of which emu it belongs to.

All you want are possible to code and it's not very difficult (I already scan 2 differents folder with rage2x) but I dont have personnaly the time for that :)

I never used Gmenu2x but is it not already possible to do want you want ?

JyCet posted on Mar 19 2007 at 12:17 PM said:
All you want are possible to code and it's not very difficult (I already scan 2 differents folder with rage2x) but I dont have personnaly the time for that :)

I never used Gmenu2x but is it not already possible to do want you want ?

Not to my knowledge. It is my understanding that GMenu2X works for games but not individual roms within emulators. You can create a link with Gmenu2x to a specific rom, but selecting that rom will not launch the emulator to play the rom.

dcpmark posted on Mar 20 2007 at 04:30 PM said:
Not to my knowledge. It is my understanding that GMenu2X works for games but not individual roms within emulators. You can create a link with Gmenu2x to a specific rom, but selecting that rom will not launch the emulator to play the rom.

I can't believe there are still people that have never used gmenu2x. It's the best frontend available, and makes using the gp2x a much better experience.
You can select a rom with gmenu2x and directly play it. First you select an emulator, after that you see the roms that are available in a predefined directory (fa /sd/roms/picodrive/)
All these roms can be directly started (if the emu has command line support). It's even possible to show a nice screenshot of the game.

And it's not difficult to install.

B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
I can't believe there are still people that have never used gmenu2x.

I do have it installed, and I use it to start my various emulators (or Rage2X). From there, though, I have been using the rom selector system associated with each emulator, which can suck.

B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
You can select a rom with gmenu2x and directly play it. First you select an emulator, after that you see the roms that are available in a predefined directory (fa /sd/roms/picodrive/)
All these roms can be directly started (if the emu has command line support). It's even possible to show a nice screenshot of the game.

I was unaware that Gmenu2X had the ability to start a game this way......I'll have to play around with it more, as it would be better than some of the rom selectors. However, it seems like you still have to start an emu before you can see what roms are available for that emu only. I am asking for a frontend that list roms from various emus, and is capable of launching any game from any emu on that list.

Now I see what you mean about Gmenu2x being able to launch games from a list of roms after you've selected the emulator. However, it only lists the rom names (instead of the game names like Rage2X), and as I mentioned above, only works for one emulator at a time. Not what I'm looking for.

Back