Game Maker... More

Will it be open source? Or at least could you "include" some compiled thigy that you've made in C? (for things that the engine can't do fast enough)

:huh:

The instruction at "0x00d135dd" refrenced memory at "0x62048308". The memory could not be "read"

Click OK to terminate the program

(then same thing with different addresses comes up again, then it terminates)

EDIT In stderr theres:

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

And zotlog is too big to post here...

Is sound already supported?
I'm planning on porting good ol' Bubble Bobble with nice sound and graphics :)

rcx21000 posted on Mar 23 2004 at 03:27 AM said:
Will it be open source? Or at least could you "include" some compiled thigy that you've made in C? (for things that the engine can't do fast enough)
It may be open source after awhile, but not up front anyway, as I need to make a few bucks hopefully to over some costs (though I never charge for stuff on gp32 of course). I might build a simple BASIC dialect to put in pseudocode for things it cna't do, in a platform independant manner.. we'll see. You can sak though.. its a work in progress. since I was building it with my work in mind, its oriented towards the things OI wanted to do.. if yo need new triggers or actions (and everyone does, it only has so many right now), just let me know in the zot-maker list..

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
rcx21000 posted on Mar 23 2004 at 03:48 AM said:

The instruction at "0x00d135dd" refrenced memory at "0x62048308". The memory could not be "read"

EDIT In stderr theres:

Some folks have been getting this.. not sure what the criterion is. Let me know your Windows version, video card type, and what bit depth you're running in.. ie: 16bpp, 24bpp, or 32bit video..

I think I may have a clue about it, so I'm debugging it now.. (never had a problem myself, but I run at 32bpp on all my machines :)

jeff

EvilDragon posted on Mar 23 2004 at 08:42 AM said:
Audio is not yet supported, sorry.. later on.

jeff

rcx21000 posted on Mar 23 2004 at 03:48 AM said:

EDIT In stderr theres:

Check 18.2 just posted.. I suspect that may fix you up.

jeff

skeezix posted on Mar 23 2004 at 02:57 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on Mar 23 2004 at 08:42 AM said:
Audio is not yet supported, sorry.. later on.

jeff
No prob :)
I'll try doing the game first.
Implementing sound later on should be easy :D

Last edited:
skeezix posted on Mar 23 2004 at 03:39 AM said:
It isn't really designed to be a fighter, but its remotely possible.. it'd likely be slow since those need lots of hardware assistance.. (ie: IF each sprite is 20% of the screen, then a couple sprites takes up 40% of screen, so you end up rendering probaly 50% of the screen twice.. the underneath, plus the sprites... so you lose 50% of your framerate unless you're careful.)

You're welcome to take a stab at it, and bug me for mods to make it work.. but its not designed to be a fighter.

Why not use Beats of Rage for that? :)
It was just a theory, I didn't actually plan on doing it, though it might not be bad to try doing a game on an isometric plane. At the same time I wonder, how much lag would it suffer if you attempted a Mega Man/Metal Slug clone with outrageously huge enemies? The playable characters alone would be larger than 16x16. Also, I was looking at your guide and seeing how you can make objects you can pass through and others you can't, is there a way that you can make them passable from just one side? (ex. a platform you can jump through from underneath)

And I'd suggest the ability to have more inputs than just 2. The GP32 has A+B+L+R+Start+Select=6.

oooh this seems like a really cool project. maybe we can get a lil ZOt GP32 contest started here. If not a contest, maybe just to see ppls ideas come together.

if anybody needs some character designs id totally be glad to help, im hoping to help make zelda type game

i think that would be cool we can gather up a team right here. B)

zamuel posted on Mar 23 2004 at 01:08 PM said:
skeezix posted on Mar 23 2004 at 03:39 AM said:
It isn't really designed to be a fighter, but its remotely possible.. it'd likely be slow since those need lots of hardware assistance.. (ie: IF each sprite is 20% of the screen, then a couple sprites takes up 40% of screen, so you end up rendering probaly 50% of the screen twice.. the underneath, plus the sprites... so you lose 50% of your framerate unless you're careful.)

You're welcome to take a stab at it, and bug me for mods to make it work.. but its not designed to be a fighter.

Why not use Beats of Rage for that? :)
It was just a theory, I didn't actually plan on doing it, though it might not be bad to try doing a game on an isometric plane. At the same time I wonder, how much lag would it suffer if you attempted a Mega Man/Metal Slug clone with outrageously huge enemies? The playable characters alone would be larger than 16x16. Also, I was looking at your guide and seeing how you can make objects you can pass through and others you can't, is there a way that you can make them passable from just one side? (ex. a platform you can jump through from underneath)

And I'd suggest the ability to have more inputs than just 2. The GP32 has A+B+L+R+Start+Select=6.
To be precise.. Zot sprites are of arbitrary size, and the tiles are 16x16.. but it can "auto-tile" .. split up larger images into 16x16 internally to fit to the map. The reason 16x16 is used is that its a good managable size.. on all platforms 16x16 is small enough that you can use it for sneaky little hallways etc, and large enough to not be annoying to work with. ie: I tried also with 32x32 pixels, but the tiles were just way too big on GP32 etc. (ie: 320x240 screen; 32px is therefore 1/10th of screen, so 10 tiles across.. not a lot of visibility!)

So you can specify a tile image of (say) 64x128 if you wanted to, and Zot can split it up and show it; I suggest that for doing big pieces of artwork.. like complex backgrounds, or things like beds or trees or the like.. just render it. Don't bother carving it up.. too much work.

Sprites are *suaulyl* larger than 16x16, since you want them to big big and slick looking.

The impact on performance is that you wish to avoid reading each pixel many times, avoid writing multiple times. ie: Think alpha blending.. for each pixel it has to draw a background pixel, then render a sprite by picking up the background pixel and blending it with the sprite source pixel, and this is done on each of R, G, and B. So you're doing 10 times as many operations for a blended pixel than a straight tile pixel. A normal sprite with no blending is still 2 writes.. a wriute pixel of the background, plus a write pixel of the sprite. Not too bad. But as you can see. you wish to avoid filling the scren with 50% multiple writes.. kills performance.

That said, Zot isn't a slouch; On GP32 at 130MHz (everyone can do 132MHz.. its 160 that only some can do) it can do somethign like 40fps most of the time if I recall right; start doing big fat sprites, and you drop to 30fps. But then, 30fps is fine most of the time :)

Something like a metal slug game would be cool if anyone has the art skills :)

As to more inputs, we'll see later; ie: Every platform can do directions plus 2 buttons, so I'm working on that. But I'll be extending it for each platform.. ie: Zodiac can do rumble, etc, so why not allow for more buttons on GP32. But using them woudl stop the portabilty of your game.

jeff

bigSEXYc posted on Mar 23 2004 at 01:22 PM said:
oooh this seems like a really cool project. maybe we can get a lil ZOt GP32 contest started here. If not a contest, maybe just to see ppls ideas come together.

if anybody needs some character designs id totally be glad to help, im hoping to help make zelda type game

i think that would be cool we can gather up a team right here. B)
I'll likely do a contest once we've got a couple of games put together, just to prove the engine actually is useful ;)

(ie: Its still young.. it does a *lot* of stuff, but before any game can be "complete" it needs some more stuff added; what that stuff is, peopel need to tell me.. ie: I have various things in my head I'm moving towards, but I need peopel to tell me what they need so I can mull it over and build somethign in in a reusable fashion.. so it can already do platform run and jump stuff, for instance, but I'm sure I need to add more AI modules so monsters can work accordingly, etc. I just need peopel to tell me what they need. (what they *need*, not what they're guessing about.. no time to implement everyones dreams.. only time to make what is needed ;)

jeff

I posted this to ZG, but thought you may be curious as well..

In case anyone is curious..

Photo from my Treo phone of Zot on Zodiac:
http://www.codejedi.com/zot/screenshots/ZotZodiac.jpg

Photo from Treo of Zot on T|T3 while having a shake attack or something :)
http://www.codejedi.com/zot/screenshots/ZotT3phone.jpg

Screenshot across VNC of the Mac OSX version:
http://www.codejedi.com/zot/screenshots/zotmac.jpg

Screenshot of Windows Zot 014 (a few weeks back):
http://www.codejedi.com/zot/screenshots/zotwin1.gif

Need to make a snapshot of GP32 version one of these days :)

jeff

Sorry for low quality photos.. thats the only digital camera I have :)

Back