Gameboy, Gameboy Color Emulation

DaveC

Internal Development
I was wondering if there was a newer version of a GB/GBC emu somewhere out there?

If not then Gnuboy is the only option. It is very good as far as emulation but it seems a bit unfinished in the interface area. Does anyone know how to get it to run zipped ROMs? I seem to have alot of problems getting this emu working with zips. I heard they did work but when I try to load the version (.7 test) it dumps out to the Gpmenu as soon as I press start. There is no "readme" with that version so I don't know what it needs to work.

Also a way to put ROMs in any directory would be nice. Right now in this emu all ROMs must be lumped all into one big pile. It would be nice if GB ROMs could be kept separate from GBC ROMs. Is there a way to do it maybe with scripts or something?

get in line dude!!
i've wanted super gameboy(?) emulation (for color in GB games) for awhile now! :p
do you have the newest version? If you don't you might wanna try that first.. good luck! :p

The version I have runs zip files. I don't think it was ever officially released, and the gpe is just called "output." Maybe that's the .7 test version you're talking about?

Maybe try putting the latest official version in the same folder with the test version. Maybe it's missing necessary files, which is why it doesn't execute right.

shinneri posted on Feb 6 2007 at 05:24 AM said:
The version I have runs zip files. I don't think it was ever officially released, and the gpe is just called "output." Maybe that's the .7 test version you're talking about?

Maybe try putting the latest official version in the same folder with the test version. Maybe it's missing necessary files, which is why it doesn't execute right.

I tried that. No worky. The one with the flickery menu works but not with zips. I heard the zip support is "preliminary" on .7 or "output" version from some topics about it.

This emu is probably picky and has hard coded paths (argh) and I don't know what they are as there is no readme.

Isn't this open source, or supposed to be? The emulation was good from what I remember but it needs a bit of work on interface issues. If it had an improved menu, non hard coded ROM browsing capability, and full zip support it would be about perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
k-teto have said that he will send the source code for all that want it but don't distribuate it actualy because it don't have comments and it is realy not clear to understand ^^

maybe some day if k-teto will be motivated we will see an new version or maybe the good one from rlyeh for GP32 will come out fo GP2x ;)

I would love to see a new version of Gnuboy. It's so close to being perfect it seems a shame that it's been left.
It could still do with being a little faster though most games do work great and with a bit of overclocking virtually everything runs perfectly.
I think if the interface was improved a bit to enable browsing through folders, the ability to add you own colour schemes to original gb titles and a way of choosing marquees through the menus I would be over the moon.

Plus full zip support. It is not fully implemented. That is kind of important too if you have a large ROM collection. It takes up more than double the space without it.

What do you have to do to get the latest one to work? No readme so I don't know where it wants everything to be. It is obviously fussy about that as it won't run at all for me.

Yod4z, If you could coax the source from him that would be great. I an sure some coder could fix it up.

DaveC posted on Feb 6 2007 at 03:15 PM said:
Plus full zip support. It is not fully implemented. That is kind of important too if you have a large ROM collection. It takes up more than double the space without it.
You could just put games on that you actually want to play, not every single one you can get your hands on?

I am on 4GB and there is still not enough space. So zip support is one of the best ways to optimize the storage space. I do not believe that there will ever be 8GB support, what do you think.

Firstly I think you have too much stuff :D
I'm reasonably confident there will be SDHC support in the future.

Orkie posted on Feb 6 2007 at 04:21 PM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 6 2007 at 03:15 PM said:
You could just put games on that you actually want to play, not every single one you can get your hands on?

Maybe I don't want to have to constantly shuffle stuff back and forth? Maybe I don't know what I want to play and just want to try things out?

Whatever, your "arguement" doesn't hold for everyone (we all don't do things like you) and is not really a good reason for not implementing zip support.

agreed. The current Zip support works fine for me actually, and also I only have 1GB cards, so I DO only have the ROMs I want to play currently, but zip support is definately a near-standard requirement. :)

I agree zip support should be a standard for emulators. Like Dave, I like to keep large sets of roms for most emulators as I like to explore/experiment and try out numerous titles.

With a issue of Retrogamer under one arm, discovering unknown gems from the past is pure joy;and I never know where I will be when I read about one, or hear about a good game from a friend. Having the rom at my disposal anywhere without constant swapping to my sd is preferable for this function. And zip support dos optimize space.

Browsing through the file structure would be great for organizing games.

My frustration was that with hardcoded paths, my GB and GBC roms were all mixed in together and made looking for specific games bothersome.

I thought about having 2 identical emulators one for gbc and one for original gb. In the end I used the hardcoded paths to fix the problem for me.

I placed all my gbc roms in the mmt/roms path, and all the gb roms in the path set for the folder. Now I can choose between sets by simply changing the path in the menu. Its clunky but serviceable.

DaveC posted on Feb 6 2007 at 05:47 AM said:
I was wondering if there was a newer version of a GB/GBC emu somewhere out there?

No, everybody able to help with deving emus has heeded your words and now they're all working on Super NES emulators, so blame your own self if nobody's working on GameBoy emus no more ;-)

A_SN posted on Feb 6 2007 at 04:04 PM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 6 2007 at 05:47 AM said:

No, everybody able to help with deving emus has heeded your words and now they're all working on Super NES emulators, so blame your own self if nobody's working on GameBoy emus no more ;-)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Actually, I would like a gameboy emulator that supports marquees which doesn't freeze up every minute or so when browsing a long list of games... And supports pgup/pgdn when scrolling through said long list.

D.

chaos engineer posted on Feb 6 2007 at 08:53 AM said:
I am on 4GB and there is still not enough space. So zip support is one of the best ways to optimize the storage space. I do not believe that there will ever be 8GB support, what do you think.
:huh: how many roms do you have!? i havr a bunch but they easily fit on my 4gb (60x) card! :eek: you must have like europe fullset us fullset japan fullset asia full set russia(?, i dont know wtf im talkin bout :lol: )fullset

purple_goat posted on Feb 6 2007 at 10:58 PM said:
chaos engineer posted on Feb 6 2007 at 08:53 AM said:
:huh: how many roms do you have!? i havr a bunch but they easily fit on my 4gb (60x) card! :eek: you must have like europe fullset us fullset japan fullset asia full set russia(?, i dont know wtf im talkin bout :lol: )fullset

I would bet he has other ROMsets too not just GB/GBC. That is my problem too as I have romset selections from all 16 bit systems (no CD stuff). None are totally complete but i have alot of systems covered.

I too would love to see an update to this, or a new Gameboy emulator. GnuBoy is just so counter intuitive to use, the menus are really confusing, making it much harder to do anything you want to do than it ought to be. I'm constantly guessing which buttons to press if I haven't used it for a while and even sometimes end up quitting by mistake!

Perhaps if GBA ever gets more finished, a mega Gameboy emulator could incorporate GB stuff, kind of like DrMD incuded SMS & GG. PocketSNES could add NES too...

Moon on a Stick...

®

Back