Gameboy, Gameboy Color Emulation

There has to be some other emu that could be "easily" ported other than Gnuboy for another system I would think. There are GB emus for every system that can run an emu. I would bet that some have source out there too. I guess it is a matter that no one is really to interested in porting GB. Maybe someday the source to this gnuboy emu will be released. Actually don't GNU programs *have* to be to released with source?

DaveC posted on Feb 8 2007 at 02:33 AM said:
Actually don't GNU programs *have* to be to released with source?
No, but you are entitled to it if you ask. But like you said, I don't think anybody is really that interested because it works fine. You could always try my package manager, it will automatically install a working version of the beta for you ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie posted on Feb 8 2007 at 04:44 PM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 8 2007 at 02:33 AM said:
Actually don't GNU programs *have* to be to released with source?
No, but you are entitled to it if you ask. But like you said, I don't think anybody is really that interested because it works fine. You could always try my package manager, it will automatically install a working version of the beta for you ;)

I don't actually know why no one is interested. It really doesn't work too well as the menu is very un-intuitive, and zips are flaky. I would think those would be some of the relatively easy things to fix too.

DaveC posted on Feb 9 2007 at 03:24 AM said:
I don't actually know why no one is interested. It really doesn't work too well as the menu is very un-intuitive, and zips are flaky. I would think those would be some of the relatively easy things to fix too.
Very few people have complained about problems with zip support in the latest beta, and the menu may be a pain to use, but it does its job. If you're really that bothered - ask for the source and get learning to program (there are loads of good books you could get for under $40) instead of hanging around here whining about nobody doing whatever you want ;).

Well, I can think of one semi-legitimate reason that GBA emulation is lagging. I have an NDS w/ a Supercard. It handles GB/GBA perfectly, including save states, and it's "closer" to the experience of an actual GBA; this is because it IS a GBA, but with NDS support added ;)

For all other emulation I use GP2X. And could we *please* get MSX emulation to a more respectable state?

vaustein posted on Feb 9 2007 at 05:42 PM said:
Well, I can think of one semi-legitimate reason that GBA emulation is lagging. I have an NDS w/ a Supercard. It handles GB/GBA perfectly, including save states, and it's "closer" to the experience of an actual GBA; this is because it IS a GBA, but with NDS support added ;)

For all other emulation I use GP2X. And could we *please* get MSX emulation to a more respectable state?

1. gnuboy is a gameboy/gameboy color emulator not a gba emulator.

2. When playing ordinary gameboy/gameboy color games through supercard they are emulated and not running exactly the same as on the original hardware (gba is however)

3. GBA emulation isn't lagging on the gp2x because NDS can play gba games for real. Thats like saying PSX emulation is lagging because you could play the game on a real PSX.

edit: And I believe fullspeed GBA emulation on the GP2X isn't too far away.

vaustein posted on Feb 9 2007 at 05:42 PM said:

Yeah I used to think that about GBA, why bother just get a GBA and flashcart.

But since the GP2X is my main emu system it would be nice to have some favorite GBA stuff on it too. It is just more convienient than lugging around two handhelds with two chargers etc. Plus it is just cool to have it on the GP2X :p

Orkie posted on Feb 9 2007 at 04:41 PM said:
Very few people have complained about problems with zip support in the latest beta, and the menu may be a pain to use, but it does its job. If you're really that bothered - ask for the source and get learning to program (there are loads of good books you could get for under $40) instead of hanging around here whining about nobody doing whatever you want ;).

Well I can't get it to work at all. As far as the age old " if you want a feature, learn to code, do it yourself and shut-up" argument that is not always possible. I could spend 50 years trying and I couldn't do it. Coding is not for everyone. It is like saying "get some paint and learn to paint as good as Picasso". I would like to code but there is no way. I am not "whining" I am just putting a suggestion out.

DaveC posted on Feb 9 2007 at 07:50 PM said:
Orkie posted on Feb 9 2007 at 04:41 PM said:

Well I can't get it to work at all. As far as the age old " if you want a feature, learn to code, do it yourself and shut-up" argument that is not always possible. I could spend 50 years trying and I couldn't do it. Coding is not for everyone. It is like saying "get some paint and learn to paint as good as Picasso". I would like to code but there is no way. I am not "whining" I am just putting a suggestion out.

Sorry Orkie but I gotta agree with DaveC here. You can't say "I did a half-assed job well if you don't like it learn my job and fix my work". It's as if you went to a restaurant and that the food had a bad taste and that you were told "Learn how to cook and do better than that", same with a whole bunch of jobs.

Unfortunately people in the FOSS world and the Wiki editing think it's legitimate to say that because they're not paid, and they got a point, but no matter what, even when you know how to program, it's a major pain in the ass just to figure someone else's code out.

Then it's all about whether you want to improve what you do or just don't care and let it be the way it is.

I agree with Orkie. He is very right. DaveC, you suck! I am so glad to hear that Orkie is coming to my country at the end of this month! Woo hoo!

DaveC posted on Feb 9 2007 at 06:50 PM said:
I didn't tell you to "do it yourself or shut up", I told you do "do it yourself or stop whining" and whining is exactly what you do - all the time. If you want, I can rephrase 'whining' to 'expressing your opinions very forcefully, sometimes rudely and generally expecting others to do exactly what you want just because you want it'. Giving suggestions is fine, complaining about something which works just because you couldn't set it up is whining.

The only way you'll get somebody to work on something is if they're interested in it anyway. Very rarely do people see a suggestion and think "I think I'll make this program because somebody asked for it". It is hard to get motivation from that and such projects often die before getting close to being usable.

Orkie posted on Feb 9 2007 at 10:37 PM said:
Giving suggestions is fine, complaining about something which works just because you couldn't set it up is whining.

Well if this thing did work on my unit I would probably do less "whining" but since it doesn't it would be nice to have a GB/GBC emu that does work.

I downloaded the new version and it just has a file called "output" in the archive :rolleyes:

If this program is so finicky and all of the directories etc are hardcoded to be in a certain spot to work a simple "readme" with paths would have been nice. How do I know what was in the coder's mind and where he wants stuff? I put this file in the same exact place where the older one was thinking if the old one worked, and this is just an update, this will too. WRONG, he must have changed the paths and didn't tell you what they are supposed to be changed to. There are certainly alot of possible combinations of directories and names.

So my "suggestion" for someone that is interested in this and can code, would be to allow rom browsing, be flexible with directories, and improve the menu.

A_SN posted on Feb 9 2007 at 10:36 PM said:
I agree with Orkie. He is very right. DaveC, you suck!

Real classy there dude.

DaveC posted on Feb 10 2007 at 04:04 AM said:
A_SN posted on Feb 9 2007 at 10:36 PM said:
I agree with Orkie. He is very right. DaveC, you suck!

Real classy there dude.

You just don't get the joke. Read my whole post again, or at least the whole line you partially quoted, and you might understand that my edit is the result of Orkie's threat (but it sucks to explain it) ;)

DaveC posted on Feb 10 2007 at 03:04 AM said:
Well if this thing did work on my unit I would probably do less "whining" but since it doesn't it would be nice to have a GB/GBC emu that does work.

I downloaded the new version and it just has a file called "output" in the archive :rolleyes:

If this program is so finicky and all of the directories etc are hardcoded to be in a certain spot to work a simple "readme" with paths would have been nice. How do I know what was in the coder's mind and where he wants stuff? I put this file in the same exact place where the older one was thinking if the old one worked, and this is just an update, this will too. WRONG, he must have changed the paths and didn't tell you what they are supposed to be changed to. There are certainly alot of possible combinations of directories and names.

Dude, what are you talking about? I just tried the update then. It works perfectly.

Just install it in the same pace (rename it to Gnuboy.gpe if you like) and delete the Gnuboy.cfg file. Then go to the menu options and you can select the rom path (either .\roms in or the standard sd\mnt\roms\gameboy). Voila.

Zip support has worked in every game I've tried so far. The big roms take a few seconds to load though, so don't think its crashed just wait a bit.

All the instructions scroll along the bottom of the screen by the way. Great if it scrolled a bit faster, but at least it's there.

GunPei2X posted on Feb 10 2007 at 07:41 AM said:
Dude, what are you talking about? I just tried the update then. It works perfectly.

Just install it in the same pace (rename it to Gnuboy.gpe if you like) and delete the Gnuboy.cfg file. Then go to the menu options and you can select the rom path (either .\roms in or the standard sd\mnt\roms\gameboy). Voila.

Zip support has worked in every game I've tried so far. The big roms take a few seconds to load though, so don't think its crashed just wait a bit.

All the instructions scroll along the bottom of the screen by the way. Great if it scrolled a bit faster, but at least it's there.

Ok, I realise that I'm being a tad lazy here, but can someone link me to the currently most up-to-date GB emulator for the 2x? I'm using GnuBoy atm, and want to make sure that the problems I'm having (freezing while browsing a long list of ROMs) are not fixed before I request source and have at it. That directory browser really needs sorting - you can't have subdirectories which is a pain as my ROMs are organised in alphabetic folders :)

I'm not terribly interested in fixing zip support, but if the solution seems obvious, I'll do it.

D.

GunPei2X posted on Feb 10 2007 at 07:41 AM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 10 2007 at 03:04 AM said:

I tried that it refuses to work. As soon as it comes up and says "press start" I press start and it instantly dumps out to the GP2X menu again. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with this shit, it is so frustrating.

The only one I can get to work is the old one without zip support and the flickery screen, it just doesn't make sense.

DaveC posted on Feb 10 2007 at 06:49 PM said:
I tried that it refuses to work. As soon as it comes up and says "press start" I press start and it instantly dumps out to the GP2X menu again. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with this shit, it is so frustrating.

Try downloading the link I put above for Dunny. Delete your current gnuboy directory completely first.

GunPei2X posted on Feb 10 2007 at 12:51 PM said:
Dunny, try this: http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/372255/Gnuboy.zip

It says 0.6 on the menu but it's actually the 0.7 beta (from gp32spain) with zip support. (roms dir set to sd:\roms\gameboy)

Thanks for that!

I've tested it, and it's still freezing on the long list of ROMs (I get as far as the "J" section, then can go no further and have to power off). Looks like I'm gonna have to request the source and look for the bug.

Could also do with L/R button "Page scrolling" as the MAME frontend does - would make running through the list a lot quicker. Either that or allow the user to use subfolders...

D.

Dunny posted on Feb 10 2007 at 11:10 PM said:
GunPei2X posted on Feb 10 2007 at 12:51 PM said:
Dunny, try this: http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/372255/Gnuboy.zip

It says 0.6 on the menu but it's actually the 0.7 beta (from gp32spain) with zip support. (roms dir set to sd:\roms\gameboy)

Thanks for that!

I've tested it, and it's still freezing on the long list of ROMs (I get as far as the "J" section, then can go no further and have to power off). Looks like I'm gonna have to request the source and look for the bug.

Could also do with L/R button "Page scrolling" as the MAME frontend does - would make running through the list a lot quicker. Either that or allow the user to use subfolders...

D.

Sounds great, good luck with it. I would say allow the user to use sub-folders. That way you could separate the GB and the GBC ROMS if you want to. You could also separate ROMs by group so that you could put them in a directory such as ABCD, EFGH, etc. This would help so you don't have to scroll so long to get to what you want.

Since this one allows two directories to be selected I put the GB roms in one of those, and GBC in the other to keep them separate. A kind of kludge, but it works :)

EDIT: I know why it doesn't work I think. I had an empty folder in the rom dir where I was originally going to separate GB and GBC. I guess it confused the emu and bombed it out. This may help if you are going to fix bugs. You may want to just have it ignore anything that it doesn't need, or can't "understand".

Back