Gamepark.com Is Dead

from that same site - what's the veracity of this info?

[Pockett.net] - the GP2X, this Korean game console, would have run out with less than 10.000 specimens at the end of the year 2006. Disappointing.

30.000 to 50.000 consoles sold, according to sources', more or less official. It is not at all the same sound of bell which has just reached us today, in connection with the GP2X: this multi-media game console Korean, which makes succession with from now on celebrates GP32, would have been sold only with 10.000 specimens until December 2006.

A figure very in lower part of the sales of the GP32 which would have run out, it, with approximately, 25.000 specimens. What is really astonishing, if the fact is considered that the GP2X proposes much less commercial plays than the GP32 (here are some examples), no distribution in shop (contrary with what was the case for the GP32 for example in Korea or Spain) and that it does not have any more the support of fire Lik-Blood, a former giant of the sale in line which since had to close its doors because of a lawsuit brought by Sony.

Our sources, two former employees of Game Park Holdings who preferred to leave the ship before it does not sink definitively, draw up a sad assessment of this adventure, tinted internal incompetences and conflicts. They wish to remain for the moment anonymities and not to comment on more the topicality of the company.

For recall, here another testimony published a few times ago on Pockett Videogames. Chronicle of an announced bankruptcy?

(lik-sang becomes lik-blood. haha. lik-sangre!)

that article links to a very interesing interview:

[Pockett.net] - Fx-Man, a young impassioned French of portable consoles, had sent a test of play for Neo Geo Pocket to Pocket Magazine, which will publish it. A few years later, it appeased its passion while working for the Korean manufacturers of consoles GP32 and GP2X. It tells us the back of the decoration.

Can you present yourself in a few words?
I am Fx-Man, 29 years, fans of plays vidéos since Atari 2600 and collector of portable consoles since nearly 5 years. I had a name on the Web, a few years ago, by creating the first site amateur on the GP32. Since, I gave up and to my site semi blog devotes me.

How long did you work with Gamepark? What did you make for them?
I know, them to have met, Gamepark and Gamepark Holdings since 2002 (during the ECTS). It is at that time that I started to make small things for Gamepark: presence on living rooms (the Koreans do not speak English, which is not practical), search for developers… But it is as from March 2006 that very accelerated. Gamepark Holdings invited me in Seoul to require councils of me on the procedure to Europe. And as of the next month, I worked officially for them, while being paid (what was not the case of the time of Gamepark). In all, that will have lasted two months.

Why that didn't it go according to you?
Gamepark and Gamepark Holdings, and apparently the Koreans in general, tend to estimate that the world must come to them, and not the reverse. For example, they do not start again or seldom their contacts abroad. They take their time. They want to do everything with their manner, and not with that of the countries customers. It is with this type of behavior that Gamepark missed a contract with Atari for the exit by the GP32 in the USA. An obvious example: one of the persons in charge for Gamepark Holdings, of the time when it worked in another limps (Samsung not to quote it), had left to treat some commercial contracts in Tunisia, there is ten year. They arrived in full period of the Ramadan. Cavity, difficult to negotiate in day with people who do not eat. Difficult also when the festival starts. They thus decided to set out again, without anything to make, estimating that there was no future in the Maghreb countries. Perhaps that if they had waited one month, all would have occurred very well. They never tried to include/understand the habits of the country.

Do you have other anecdotes to tell?
They asked me to establish contacts with the press of various European countries. Once it was done, they decided that finally, only the United Kingdom and Spain were interesting… I nevertheless offered my GP2X MK2 to PC Plays to obtain a good article on the console.

Side of the contacts with the developers, I did not tire myself too much, considering it was probable that there would be no return. I nevertheless offered to a developer a console.

The installation of a forum of discussion had started well. But, at the end of one month, the owner decided not to answer more the list of suggestions and problems which I sent. Indeed, it was afraid which one realizes that the machine had many problems… You all noted it, the forum Gamepark Holdings died.

We organized a contest of development, unceasingly delayed. Many complained about rules. Fortunately, you did not know the initial ones! The final payment was mainly written by me (I even took again certain points of the ADIC), except the part on the licences and the copyright. I wanted that the page of the contest is in several languages (I proposed for French). At the beginning, they were very justified, then… any more. I considered it important to make a press release. It never arrived. At the beginning of August, 6 hours before the takeoff of my plane for the holidays, they said to me that finally, the press release, it was a good idea and they asked me to write it in English French/and to send it to all the press! Useless to say that I did not do anything.

I also tried to convince them to organize itself in-house. Did you know that they are only one score, that they are hated and do not speak between them? There is in the company of the very qualified people. Unfortunately, there are thenull ones which blocks all.

Among the various ideas suggested, my greater success was the presence in Game Convention in Germany (it took me time to convince them to make displacement). I even found the organization to them Korean which helped them! But, there still, large failure: they were limited to the professional section (thus without visibility near general public) and, once more, they did not want to make of press release! Thus nobody spoke about them (note: present on the spot, the drafting of Pocket Videogames did not find the stand of Gamepark Holdings. It was not indicated.)

Lastly, I was to meet them in Paris, after the German living room. As I left on holiday during a month, I had asked them to choose a date and a place of appointment before my departure. Well cavity, they wrote to me during my absence, passed to Paris and… did not see me.

According to you, which are the reasons to buy or not to buy a GP2X today?
The principal reason is the great quantity of amateurs productions available for this machine. When one looks at the with dimensions one of the emulation, one can make turn almost perfectly of many machines like Neo-Geo, the PC Engine, Super Nintendo, Megadrive… Also, the system is planned for, useless traficoter its console or to use external accessories as on PSP or DS. The format of cartouches used is SD-Card, not very expensive and usable in the majority of the numerical cameras. On the other hand, a person who is not interested in the emulation, is not developer in the heart or which does not like that the modern plays will have to go its way.

Are you informed of the projects of the company?
There is much: to make a new model with the GPS integrated, able to make 3D, to integrate the GP2X in various machines like televisions or readers DVD…

Do you believe that there is place for a small manufacturer with with dimensions of the DS of Nintendo and PSP of Sony?
It is possible, and Gizmondo could have had this place: there were the money and the support of the bankers, distributors, developers. Unfortunately, the persons in charge preferred to treat to beautiful cars, beautiful girls and beautiful huts.

Thank you in Fx-Man for this maintenance!

WarmFluffyUK posted on Mar 8 2007 at 04:28 PM said:
Cervante posted on Mar 7 2007 at 07:42 PM said:
http://www.gamepark.com

please check the link, I keep getting a page cannot be displayed message
Is it just me, or is the domain back but now selling footwear?

Maybe, just maybe thats the NEW XGP!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's mean to say but...I am very happy now. I used to think that once the XGP came out, everyone in the gp32x community would toss their 2X to start deving for the XGP. Guess not! :wub: W00t!

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 8 2007 at 11:42 AM said:
If Gamepark should die before I wake up
I'll put a big fucking rock inside of my gym sock
Roll to store, smash the 2x
Roll to every store, smash the 2x

Roll to store, smash the 2x*

Gamepark is dead this mornin'
And she's dead, she's dead

*Note: I harbor absolutely no bad feelings for my gp2x :D
Wow, I think you should leave the lyrics to Nas. Anyway, nice try..? :huh:

OMars posted on Mar 8 2007 at 10:42 PM said:

heyheyhey, rock and sock rhyme. That's all my leet rap skills right there

meh, too bad no xgp...I was looking foward to that :(

Ravnos posted on Mar 8 2007 at 10:35 PM said:
Nope, not just you.
I wonder if the footwear can play MAME? Probably gives Space invaders an extra kick... :rolleyes:

Edit: Or are they special Dancing Stage Fever devices :lol:

purple_goat posted on Mar 9 2007 at 07:45 AM said:
now we have to leave more powerful devices to gph...
gp3x now estimated to come out 2591 :(

No, you're wrong there goat; that's just the date for the commercial bob... :lol:

well mabey with gamepark gone some of the employees will go to GPH? if so then mabey things will get done more quicker?.....

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 8 2007 at 09:51 PM said:
OMars posted on Mar 8 2007 at 10:42 PM said:

heyheyhey, rock and sock rhyme. That's all my leet rap skills right there

meh, too bad no xgp...I was looking foward to that :(
Sorry for the late reply... I was also looking forward to'em. They looked pretty cool, and I was one of those people who didn't believe in the whole "The XGP will ruin the GP2X's future" argument. People bought PSP's after it came out, but that didn't really affect DS sales. ;)

Am i the only one thinking gp32x.de should change the site title :blink: seems like the xgp development section has been removed ;)

Zenny posted on Mar 9 2007 at 03:18 PM said:
Am i the only one thinking gp32x.de should change the site title :blink: seems like the xgp development section has been removed ;)
I'm thinking that the site title had nothing to do with the XGP. It was named this durring the GP32 days before there was any GP2X or hopes of a XGP.

Very sad ending for a few of the people that gave us the GP32.

darkman posted on Mar 13 2007 at 05:38 AM said:
Zenny posted on Mar 9 2007 at 03:18 PM said:
I'm thinking that the site title had nothing to do with the XGP. It was named this durring the GP32 days before there was any GP2X or hopes of a XGP.
No no, I think he was referring to the gp32x.de Board [GP32 GP2X XGP] part :) Who knows though, perhaps they managed to pass the XGP-kids model to that next company they said they would? (the one that would re-brand and manufacture it)

- Alex

it would seem from the article that ambulance posted, that there is not much difference between GP and GPH. and those anecdotes about koreans being bad communicators scares me...especially since it seems to be 100% true.

Back