Games For Dosbox - What Games Do You Want?

DReffects posted on Mar 31 2006 at 04:29 PM said:
i am back. sorry for the delay. i had my left hand covered in bandages the last few weeks and was unable to handle the gp2x. now i am kinda fine and have uploaded dynablaster as well as the improoved build of DOSBox :)

grab it here:
http://downloads.scifinews.de/cat_1138.html

i am looking forward to your response :)
Glad to hear that your hand has recovered! Could you let me know where I can get the source for this, please? It'd be interesting to take a look at it.

Thanks for this release :)

Last edited by a moderator:
DReffects posted on Mar 31 2006 at 04:29 PM said:
i am back. sorry for the delay. i had my left hand covered in bandages the last few weeks and was unable to handle the gp2x. now i am kinda fine and have uploaded dynablaster as well as the improoved build of DOSBox :)

grab it here:
http://downloads.scifinews.de/cat_1138.html

i am looking forward to your response :)
With the risk of making myself look stupid....I can't get it to work :/
I downloaded both dosbox and dynablaster. Unzipped and placed things like described in the readme.
But when I run start.gpe I only get a black screen :unsure:

geise69 posted on Mar 29 2006 at 08:07 PM said:
Hmmm...I wouldn't mind seeing Llamatron on Dosbox. I know it's available on amiga and atari st but I can't seem to find it for atari st or amiga at the moment.

that's because the original was called robotron: 2084, llamatron 2112 is a clone :)

personally i like it better, but so far i've had an easier time getting robotron working (with mame).

What a good game I'm playing at the moment on my GP2x! (Actual photo. My green LED is broken.)

Yeah. Awesome. Shame about the lack of keyboard, though, those conversations are impossible to do without one.

I wouldn't mind playing other classic DOS games, too, like Catacomb Abyss and sequals (nice fantasy based shooters. Not enough of them nowadays), and Amulets and Armour. Ever played that? It's a first person RPG. Wonderful stuff. And also, I'd like to be able to play Realms of Arkania, Bloodstone (BS doesn't have much animation in it, and runs at 320x200. Mmm - Add a keyboard on the bottom of the 2x and you've sold me). DOS games are my past, maan. My past.

Khatoblepas posted on Apr 1 2006 at 12:05 AM said:
What a good game I'm playing at the moment on my GP2x! (Actual photo. My green LED is broken.)

Yeah. Awesome. Shame about the lack of keyboard, though, those conversations are impossible to do without one.

I wouldn't mind playing other classic DOS games, too, like Catacomb Abyss and sequals (nice fantasy based shooters. Not enough of them nowadays), and Amulets and Armour. Ever played that? It's a first person RPG. Wonderful stuff. And also, I'd like to be able to play Realms of Arkania, Bloodstone (BS doesn't have much animation in it, and runs at 320x200. Mmm - Add a keyboard on the bottom of the 2x and you've sold me). DOS games are my past, maan. My past.

Dare I ask just how jumpy that is? Albion is a fantastic game, but I'm dubious as to how DosBox could handle the 3D bits...

If it does them well, I'll have it thrown on a card in no time!

Eolair posted on Mar 31 2006 at 08:31 PM said:
With the risk of making myself look stupid....I can't get it to work :/
I downloaded both dosbox and dynablaster. Unzipped and placed things like described in the readme.
But when I run start.gpe I only get a black screen :unsure:
odd, should work. are you getting NOTHING at all or does some output happen before the lockdown?

maybe your gp2x cant handle the 275mhz setting.

edit start.gpe and replace

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 -20 275

with

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 -20 250

and see if it works :)

ah dammit, just noticed that the .conf had an error in it (wouldnt cause the screen stay black, just wouldnt let the game start)

pls redownload dynablaster :)

just downloaded it, one little question is it possible with this release to run The Incredible Machine, or pinball fantasies? :)

Edit: woot, got into the table selection screen @pinball dreams,
But I dont really get the button mapping, can someone give me a link to a complete list of button mappings for the gp2x?

WTF, I have mapped Y to f1, I can enter a table with f1, but then when I have to press f1 to select 1 player suddenly the key doesnt work... :S

Weird thing is, I can exit the game pressing escape the y, but pressing enter or f1 to start a game does not work.

Another weird thing is that the table doesnt scroll up and down like it does in dosbox on my pc. (thought the lights flash and the scrolling ticker seems to work)

w00t!

does games like civilization or lemmings already run on it? if yes, how playabe, speed-wise and control-wise?

and is albion playable? =))

Wolfsclaw posted on Apr 1 2006 at 11:45 AM said:
w00t!

does games like civilization or lemmings already run on it? if yes, how playabe, speed-wise and control-wise?

and is albion playable? =))
just to give you a speed indication:
at 275mhz outrun and robocod run playeble but a bit slow.

I can't run this app on my gp2x, i downloaded the latest version of dosbox and dynablaster, i copied its on the root of my SD as explained on the readme, but when i launch the start.gpe of dynablaster my gp2x go back to the menu screen, what i do wrong? please, could someone point me to the right direction? thanks.

hmmm..maybe its me or....

are there some game s "recompiled"to work with this dosbox or i can run my (very old)dos games on my own?

Solstar posted on Apr 1 2006 at 01:00 PM said:
hmmm..maybe its me or....

are there some game s "recompiled"to work with this dosbox or i can run my (very old)dos games on my own?
its dosbox, which is an x86 emulator with dos.

You could have found this yourself if you would have googled for dosbox...

DReffects posted on Apr 1 2006 at 02:41 AM said:
ah dammit, just noticed that the .conf had an error in it (wouldnt cause the screen stay black, just wouldnt let the game start)

pls redownload dynablaster :)

The screen stays black for me too. I executed it from sterm and there was output like "SDL blalalalalal" and then the screen went black...

Tobriand posted on Mar 21 2006 at 05:57 PM said:
If it's abandonware, it *is* abandoned by the publisher - they don't give a wossname about the game, whether it exists anywhere or not. Making it available for free is not abandonware.

Secondly, games like that often have a stipulation re: redistributing them, so you might have to contact the company to be sure they don't mind your putting up such a pack in the first place.

If you check the FAQ´s of the biggest Abandonware Site around (HOTU) then you can read that they write themselves that what they do is NOT legal ! Abandonware is old most of the time, thats true. Its also true that most companies dont give a damn for those Games anymore.

Problem is they are still copyrighted and that you COULD get in trouble when you release them. There is a very small chance that someone will contact you or even sue you because of that, but the WWW made the world a small place and you never know...

To be on the safe side you should ask the companies in case they are still around. If the Games are protected by the ESA then its better to leave them alone right away, eben HOTU and Aban***** dont carry them anymore.

But enough of that... I got a Question as well, i hope i didnt miss the answer allready... :)

Can you maybe supply an Insturction how i can add Games to your DosBox myself ? I tested DosBox for Pocket PC allready and i have a huge Collection of old DosGames (Yes, all Originals, thanx to Fleamarkets and my age :D) i would like to give a try.

Back