Gaming pet hate..?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I'm not talking about specific games.. rather the trends with contemporary gaming..

Top of my very long list is the increasing inclusion of online multiplayer with more & more titles regardless of the genre, quality, or incongruity of it.. simply to monetise the game for as long as possible & prevent trade in's, bullet points for ad's etc.

Don't get me wrong I'm by no means multiplayer phobic having had some of my best ever gaming experiences over system link, splitscreen & back when it was still a relative novelty online.

I generally don't buy anything these days that includes a significant online multiplayer component.. why?.. I'm paying for something I've absolutely no interest in & won't regularly use.

I worry that before too long new games are not going to be regarded as relevant/good or get any significant attention at all if they don't include some kind of (usually adversarial/competitive) multiplayer mode.

..and yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate jumpers in FPS games. I mean the guys that don't just jump when someone's shooting at them, but spend the entire game bouncing around instead of walking or running. I do tend to get some perverse pleasure when hunting and killing these people until they quite the server I'm on or stop playing altogether though :D

I really don't see why they need to release a version of certain sporting games every year. They could make much better games and more money if they released every other year instead.

I hate dlc for games.Why? If I finish a long game I want to move onto another new game.I don't want to be playing the same game 12 months down the line.Pre-order bonuses and effin games codes I really hate them they are bs.generic game art.The death of psygnosis was a sad day indeed.

DLC is great if sensible, and if not every step in the game along the way. Build a coherent game with an ending, then offer big "DLC" (we used to call them expansion apcks), or maybe some little extra dungeons or something ofr those who love it. But make it optional.. no one has to get DLC if they dont' want it.

And for gods sake, don't include it on the shipping DVD, it pisses everyone off :)

jeff

I hate jumpers in FPS games. I mean the guys that don't just jump when someone's shooting at them, but spend the entire game bouncing around instead of walking or running. I do tend to get some perverse pleasure when hunting and killing these people until they quite the server I'm on or stop playing altogether though :D

In the Quake series, there is a technique that uses jumping to allow you to move up to 3X faster than running normally, it's so embedded it's got it's own tutorial on Quake Live.

But I do agree, playing Halo many years ago that really annoyed me.

As for my pet hate, it does my nut in when people camp at spawn points, and games that have like 6KB DLC, stuff that is already in the game and you have to pay to unlock it, I started playing Smash Cars on the PS3 and you have to pay something like 3.99GBP to play split screen....

Its so utterly indefensibly stupid when the game allows span campers.

I simply refuse to play some of these agmes, even though they're big AAAA titles.

I mean if..

-- the game has level rankings like CoD/etc, but puts fresh 5 minute played level 1 newbies in the same game as max level year long players.. whats the point of even showing levels? If theres on the order of 200,000 players 'right now', why the hell isn't it default to putting them in 'like vs like' battles?

If you're 1billion budget can't put basic filtering in.. screw you.

-- spawn camping -- I mean, seriously; add to the previous point .. you're a noob, you spawn into tjhe game and _headshot_, poof, done. Well done assholes.. it takes almost no effort to stop spawn camping, simple map and game design changes .. so why don't they? (At least BF3 sorted this out, with option to spawn in vehicles or with another team mate wherever he is, etc.)

Man.

You're so right.

jeff

In the Quake series, there is a technique that uses jumping to allow you to move up to 3X faster than running normally, it's so embedded it's got it's own tutorial on Quake Live.
Never knew that but it doesn't surprise me so much with a game like Quake. It's the realistic games that it really bugs me with. Your in the middle of a nice World War 2 fire fight, just about to take out the guy lobbing a grenade, when some tit comes bouncing across the screen like Roger Rabbit on Amphetamine. Completely spoils the feel of the game :(

-- the game has level rankings like CoD/etc, but puts fresh 5 minute played level 1 newbies in the same game as max level year long players.. whats the point of even showing levels? If theres on the order of 200,000 players 'right now', why the hell isn't it default to putting them in 'like vs like' battles?
That's one of the things I liked when I last played Quake Live. They've done a really good job of balancing opponents and teams out so that they give you a challenging game without completely destroying you.

Painkiller had that too. Bunny hopping (as they called it) gave a speed boost, parts of the game required it to clear certain jumps (and you'd need to get the run-up right so the last bounce was as close to the edge as possible.

What really pisses me off in games is third person shooters with the player off to one side. I was going to get Sniper Elite v2, but the player is way off to the left of the screen and it felt bad. When going around right hand corners the enemy can see me (and shoot me) long before I can see them. When turning left, I can see them first. No, this is just stupid.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory did it really well. Normally Sam is centred on the screen. When you draw a gun in zooms in and moves him to the side, but there's a button to swap the side. If you don't have a gun drawn but rotate the camera to be 90 degrees to Sam's facing direction, it pans over so he's to the matching side (turn to look left and it moves him to the left side of the screen, etc).

My second most annoying game feature is third person shooters in general (on PC). I can handle it in Hitman and Splinter Cell because they aren't primarily shooters, but I'd prefer them to be first person.

Another pet hate: games that don't remove cheaters from the leaderboards. Forget about getting into the leaderboard for a speed run of a mirror's edge map, because the top several hundred people all used cheats to finish the map in a few seconds. It even records their movement as a ghost player so you can watch them levitate or leap 10 times further than normal, but they stay in the leaderboard.

Another pet hate: games that don't remove cheaters from the leaderboards. Forget about getting into the leaderboard for a speed run of a mirror's edge map, because the top several hundred people all used cheats to finish the map in a few seconds. It even records their movement as a ghost player so you can watch them levitate or leap 10 times further than normal, but they stay in the leaderboard.
I remember playing Call of Duty 4 and people with 4000% accuracy, and seeing Gran Turismo 5 with lap times of mere seconds, I know Mario Kart Wii had massive problems with glitches being abused to get 7 second lap times.

And Trip, I agree 100%, seeing people bounding around sort of breaks the immersion for me in 'realistic' war games, although I did like BF3, spawning on group members and team vehicles meant you could spawn in a good number of places.

And filtering these days seems damn awful, Quake Live and Metal Gear Online have the best filtering systems, MGO shows you the level range in the selected stage, and warns you if there are people far greater level than yourself.

I think the Crytek UK (formerly FreeRadicalDesign) should go ahead and do TimeSplitters 2 HD and show them what the original 007 GoldenEye team can do.

High powered weapons (like RPGs) that can't destroy scenery (especially doors - see next bugbear) - what's that all about?

Doors - they all need keys. A good kick would send them flying open, but can you do that? Big no. You can't use weaponry on them either.

Invisible walls. WTF? I seem to have run into an enormous glass window...

Scattered ammo. Who just leaves ammo laying around?

In no particular order:

Zero air control: See super ghouls and ghosts for example. Otherwise an awesome game. No tuning control mid-air whatsoever. Added with the next one a true nightmare.

Large damage knockback in platformers: Hit an enemy while landing, fall straight back to a pit. See castlevania for example. Otherwise an awesome game. Megaman is tolerable in this regard.

Long unskippable scripted scenes right between a hard section of the game and a save point.

Faking difficulty by letting the computer opponents cheat.

Invisible walls... especially in games where it looks like you could go somewhere, I played the demo for I Am Alive and thought I'd be able to climb a small ledge to go through a building, instead lead towards a taller ledge because that's where I have to go...

For the air control, Ghost and Ghouls and castlevania were made so much harder, once you jump your committed, and those damn flea men dropped by the bird towards the end of the game made the game infuriating at times.

And of course, the bumper car physics in GT5, apparently cars could be deformed and wrecked, well about 200 of them could because of the premium car thing, I never did figure out how to get that realistic level of damage on it.

Back