[gba] New Beta Of Gpsp2x! Very Fast & Better Sound!

Julius posted on Mar 12 2007 at 07:25 PM said:
Goob posted on Mar 12 2007 at 08:08 PM said:
Because some may view it not really as a donation, but rather paying for access to the software now.

But it really has nothing to do with paying for software.
Except that you must pay to currently get access to the software.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't lie... this system makes me a little nervous too. But I believe that Zodttd will stick to his word and make public release as soon as it is ready. I plan to donate if I get very much use out of this emulator, but I don't want to feel like I'm paying for the beta version now.

Alex. posted on Mar 12 2007 at 03:31 PM said:
So what?

- Alex
to some of us who are un-employed and broke cant donate it sucks (since i would love to help beta test since im a huge fan of Zodttd's work) but yeah, i guess ill just wait for a public release (since by that time i may have some money to donate)

Mudi posted on Mar 12 2007 at 09:59 PM said:
I won't lie... this system makes me a little nervous too. But I believe that Zodttd will stick to his word and make public release as soon as it is ready. I plan to donate if I get very much use out of this emulator, but I don't want to feel like I'm paying for the beta version now.

Nobody forces you to pay and because gpsp is gpl licensed Zodttd will have to release the source of his work.
Nothing to get nervous about.. only excited.
I also think it's not helping the development of any new piece of software that a dev is putting lots of hours into. I'm sure he would make lots more money working all those hours for a company than the couple of donations we throw at him.
It's always a treat to read the threads of Zodttd, he's a very enthusiastic developer and I hope he stays that way.
I'm sure that after some tiring hours of programming a dev will not be glad if his motives are being questioned, even if it's by a very small minority.

Don't bite the hand that's feeding you.. just be patient :)

Goemon4 posted on Mar 12 2007 at 10:43 PM said:
to some of us who are un-employed and broke cant donate it sucks (since i would love to help beta test since im a huge fan of Zodttd's work) but yeah, i guess ill just wait for a public release (since by that time i may have some money to donate)

He has already stated that if you can't donate to just pm him and he'll work something out.

*smacks head* well that makes my post completely irrelevant (i guess reading would help ;) )

Goob posted on Mar 12 2007 at 07:29 PM said:
Julius posted on Mar 12 2007 at 07:25 PM said:
Goob posted on Mar 12 2007 at 08:08 PM said:
Because some may view it not really as a donation, but rather paying for access to the software now.

But it really has nothing to do with paying for software.
Except that you must pay to currently get access to the software.
Eh, well the idea of completely free software worries me a bit anyway...

Its more a matter that some people are paying for a beta (due to impatience/eagerness), and some people are donating. I admire Zodttd's persistent work for the Gp2x, and feel that he deserves some recompense, so I have little concern about a possible exploit of impatience really. I'd consider donating myself, but I don't have my own credit card, and.. I don't think I can explain the concept to others easily to gain access to their paypal :) . Have fun beta testing people... I'm particularly interested to know how Baldur's gate runs, though its already quite playable.

Don't forget to get some sleep Zodttd, plus the longer you drag it out the more donations ( :) I know you're not that evil...) Hope the Gba emu helps towards that new laptop... Always helps to have the tools, means you'll be able to program in bed!

Nobody forces you to pay and because gpsp is gpl licensed Zodttd will have to release the source of his work.
Nothing to get nervous about.. only excited.
I also think it's not helping the development of any new piece of software that a dev is putting lots of hours into. I'm sure he would make lots more money working all those hours for a company than the couple of donations we throw at him.
It's always a treat to read the threads of Zodttd, he's a very enthusiastic developer and I hope he stays that way.
I'm sure that after some tiring hours of programming a dev will not be glad if his motives are being questioned, even if it's by a very small minority.

Don't bite the hand that's feeding you.. just be patient :)
I never said anyone was forced to pay, but that the use of the word 'donation' was borderline.

Of course your statement that gpsp is licensed under the GPL and so the source of this work will be released in due course, doesn't always pan out even in the gp2x world, although I'm sure it will be released. For example, quoting from wikipedia "The GP2X firmware uses a significant amount of GNU GPL code, including MPlayer for its media functions and the Linux kernel for its OS. The GPL requires for the release of the source code to users of the binary application (i.e. GP2X users); however, the source code was not released when the GP2X was released to consumers".

Releasing a GPL derived work without providing source even if it is a beta is also borderline :)

I am not questioning zodttd's motives, only his use of the English language. Even the best coders can have this problem :)

Have fun

Goob said:
I am not questioning zodttd's motives, only his use of the English language. Even the best coders can have this problem :)

Have fun

don't you think you're making a fuss for -almost- nothing ?
people like zodtt work hard to release great games and emulator... and for what ?

let's be honest, at least for one second.
it's hard to pay for what you can or already have for free.

we all want to give donations to people like Reesy, Zodtt or -insert whatever name you want- but how many among us REALLY give something ?

in the end, Zodtt is only to stir some donations for all his hard work... and it's working as i'm currently considering giving a donation (as much as a way to access this beta version as to thank him for his past work on transport tycoon ;)

baalim posted on Mar 13 2007 at 07:02 PM said:

we all want to give donations to people like Reesy, Zodtt or -insert whatever name you want- but how many among us REALLY give something ?

I'm not making a fuss, merely stating my views. And I have given to many GPL projects in the past, and not just in the form of monetary donations, so I am not sure what your point is.

Goob posted on Mar 13 2007 at 08:11 PM said:
baalim posted on Mar 13 2007 at 07:02 PM said:

I'm not making a fuss, merely stating my views. And I have given to many GPL projects in the past, and not just in the form of monetary donations, so I am not sure what your point is.

my point is that developpers do not receive as much donations as they deserved so it's not so strange that, sometime, they try to stimulate people to give some donations when their projects are highly anticipated.

nothing more.

No developer of GPL software releases code on the basis that any donations will give them the monetary benefit they deserve.

Goob posted on Mar 13 2007 at 07:21 PM said:
No developer of GPL software releases code on the basis that any donations will give them the monetary benefit they deserve.

You're right. They do it for the love of it and whether people donate or not Zodttd will release his work for everyone at the end of the day. If he wants to 'exploit' (and note the inverted comma's here) the more impatient among us in the meantime, well good luck the guy! But I think we can all agree that the speed, effort and commitment to his work on this project has been nothing short of astounding and that he truly deserves every penny he gets!

Now personally, I can't see what all the fuss is about with GBA anyway... Most of the games I've ever played on it have just been really bland platformers!.. :eek:

*runs and hides* :p

^ the gba was great i have one but i never got to play some really great games like their rpgs....what games did you play?

Think of the beta versions being given out as a "reward" for donating rather than paying for them. People not wanting to donate can simply wait for the next public release.

As for the GPL, doesn't it say you only have a right to the source code if you also have the binary? Most people here don't have the binary, so wouldn't be entitled to the source either...

but anyway, that's beyond the point. He's spending time writing some software, and offering WIP's to people who donate as a reward - there's nothing wrong with that.

ydderf45 posted on Mar 13 2007 at 09:19 PM said:
^ the gba was great i have one but i never got to play some really great games like their rpgs....what games did you play?

A whole bunch of 'em (I had a GBA flash gizmo some years ago so played just about every game available at the time)! I remember Splinter Cell being *kinda* enjoyable, and I liked playing 007 and Doom on it (but it really cramped up my hands after a while).

I borrowed one again recently to update my friends GBA to SD flash firmware for him and played a few of the games he had on his just to test it out - Sonic, Contra, Rayman 3, Prince of Persia et al... They just did nothing for me - maybe I'm just getting old (or maybe I've just been spoiled by the lurrvley variety of the GP2X) B) !

And oh, that crappy little screen! YUK! :wacko:

Squidge posted on Mar 13 2007 at 01:26 PM said:
As for the GPL, doesn't it say you only have a right to the source code if you also have the binary? Most people here don't have the binary, so wouldn't be entitled to the source either...

It also says you can't stop people from distributing binaries/source (I think, I'm not 100% sure), so technically the beta could be distributed by someone who received it... DON'T DO IT though, I can totally understand that zodttd would have reason to be pissed if someone did that. I personally hate the GPL because of stuff like that, but heh :)

My last post wasn't meant to sound accusatory, I've just had experiences before where a 'beta' was released to donators only and then the real thing never came out, it just stayed in 'donate to get the latest build' stage which irritates me. So long as a real release comes out eventually, I'm 100% happy.

Tonka posted on Mar 13 2007 at 01:32 PM said:
ydderf45 posted on Mar 13 2007 at 09:19 PM said:

A whole bunch of 'em (I had a GBA flash gizmo some years ago so played just about every game available at the time)! I remember Splinter Cell being *kinda* enjoyable, and I liked playing 007 and Doom on it (but it really cramped up my hands after a while).

I borrowed one again recently to update my friends GBA to SD flash firmware for him and played a few of the games he had on his just to test it out - Sonic, Contra, Rayman 3, Prince of Persia et al... They just did nothing for me - maybe I'm just getting old (or maybe I've just been spoiled by the lurrvley variety of the GP2X) B) !

And oh, that crappy little screen! YUK! :wacko:

well maybe because i just love videogames that any system i play i will find at least one enjoyable game
thats why i like the gp2x its like a bunch of systems in one :D

gavie posted on Mar 10 2007 at 02:27 PM said:
Is it just me, or is the front end of the emulator not responding very well..
The emulator in the menu is not always responding nicely when I press buttons like down or up to scroll trhough my roms, I haven't had these problems on other apps, so I guess it's just because this is the beta.. :p
Anyway, I really like this emulator.. Roms like Prehistorik man, Megaman, and some others I've tried are very playable :) Some games just lock up after playing a while.. but this is awesome!!

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the frontend either. It feels to me like there's a small window time-wise for button presses...too short and they get filtered out, too long and you get two presses. Maybe it's possible to tweak the timings a little?

But otherwise, great work. I haven't played anything long enough to notice crashes but hopefully it's not too hard to squash.

Back