Gpsp (gba Emu With Dynarec) 0.9001 Private Beta Is Out

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
Hi everyone,

I have released the private beta for gpSP2X v0.9001. This beta is for people who donate to me for any of my projects. This GBA emu includes my dynarec for a large performance increase over my previous gpSP release. More information can be found here:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=35833#

The GP2X now has a fast open source GBA emulator. :)

Thanks for the support everyone! It's much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
top notch!

Come On DaveC wheres the review?

thanks for the hardwork Zod

Fantastic as a Beta, playing alot of games at full speed, although the sound is slightly out of sync. One question though, how do I get back to the emulator menu from inside a game? Oooop I take that question back.... Playing SSX now, am one happy bunny.

Brill Job :D

Woo! Had a quick look now and it seems very nice! One criticism is to tidy the menuing system.

I'm trying to get my capture card working and I'll post some nice videos ASAP so that people can see it in action.

Should I do the videos at 200MHz, 240MHz or 275MHz(my max)?

Very quickly...

The speed improvement with the Dynarec is reaaaaly noticeable. I couldnt believe this was the same little gp2x that was barely pushing fps in the last version.

Super Mario Advance - Some slow downs, sound not great. Playable.
Super Mario Cart - Menu speed is perfect now. Not perfect in game play but still playable.
Fantastic 4: Flame on - Almost fullspeed. Strange problem with character sprites facing one direction only. Very playable!!
Ultimate Spiderman - Slow. Again playable. Sound is scratchy at parts.
Zelda : Minish Cap : OMG!!!! This plays awesome! Full speed for the most part. Will keep me up tonight!!

In general, there is some yellow pixelation on some of the graphic intro scenes. Turning sound off helps somewhat.
Btw did not mess with the other settings, and did not overclock, kept at 200mhz, so again...amazing.

Overall well impressed though. Will run it through its paces tomorow.

Cheers
Sixela out.

Sounds like excellent progress!
Yeah videos would be great just to wind the rest of us up. :)

Slightly O/T:
So zodttd, would you say this is a 'better' dynarec than the psx one?
I believe you said this is a 'C' based one at the moment...
ie - does it indicate any more mileage on the PSX-dynarec front or is a complete rebuild from the ground up still the best course of action there?

kevcal posted on Mar 8 2007 at 02:39 PM said:
Sounds like excellent progress!
Yeah videos would be great just to wind the rest of us up. :)

Slightly O/T:
So zodttd, would you say this is a 'better' dynarec than the psx one?
I believe you said this is a 'C' based one at the moment...
ie - does it indicate any more mileage on the PSX-dynarec front or is a complete rebuild from the ground up still the best course of action there?
I think it should be because at least the GBA is a 16mhz ARM processor.

The PSX is a completely different processor, so it doesn't have anything to do with this. A dynamic re-compiler makes the program(the game) run on different hardware than it was made to and still produce the same results.

This one is for ARM ->ARM dynarec, the PSX one is for PSX CPU ->ARM.

First Video!
Advance Wars (E): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhiD4YyNXHU

As I've noted the USA version might well run better since there's probably optimisations for that region.

@Craig I'll make a vid of SMBA4 sometime tomorrow since I need to sleep!
A few more videos are being uploaded to YouTube as I type this though!

EDIT: More videos

Advance Wars 2 (E)
Another World
Donkey Kong Country (U)
F-Zero Maximum Velocity (U)

PokeParadox posted on Mar 9 2007 at 02:09 AM said:
First Video!
Advance Wars (E): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhiD4YyNXHU

As I've noted the USA version might well run better since there's probably optimisations for that region.

@Craig I'll make a vid of SMBA4 sometime tomorrow since I need to sleep!
A few more videos are being uploaded to YouTube as I type this though!

EDIT: More videos

Advance Wars 2 (E)
Another World
Donkey Kong Country (U)
F-Zero Maximum Velocity (U)

Is your OC 240 mhz?

nubie posted on Mar 8 2007 at 10:59 PM said:
The PSX is a completely different processor, so it doesn't have anything to do with this. A dynamic re-compiler makes the program(the game) run on different hardware than it was made to and still produce the same results.
Yeah I realise that - just thought maybe he'd changed the 'way' it works.
My software changes radically as I (even now after 23 years <gulp>) figure out new methods..

Nice videos by the way- does every GBA game need to know your name? Very sinister... ;)

if anyone on the beta list is having problems getting the file remember the current version is now 0.9003b as far as I can tell.

Back