New Status Of Gpsp (gba) Dynarec

offtopic: god I have absolutely had a nightmare trying to get compiz to run under ubuntu 6.10... beryl looks cool though. also this automatic script seems to be handy. I might try that. XGL and compiz are not stable on my machine, it crashes a lot.

kardasan posted on Mar 7 2007 at 10:28 PM said:
use Ubuntu 7. It has integrated Beryl...so I've heard

I tried to install ubuntu feisty fawn on my laptop, and it gave me an error during partitioning, saying ubuiquity has crashed or something.

I'd have preferred a text mode installer at that point but I couldn't find one.

After all the frustration I'm really close to just sayin fk it and going back to Slackware.

I also ended up buying a website for myself, and I was busy photoshopping a logo for awhile, can't you tell I'm bored??

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/5509/au...bedotcomym4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lol just installed beryl with the automatic script. fucked everything up... i will try to revert tomorrow cause i can't be bothered right now.

xnopasaranx posted on Mar 7 2007 at 11:18 PM said:
lol just installed beryl with the automatic script. fucked everything up... i will try to revert tomorrow cause i can't be bothered right now.

Beryl runs great right out of the box with Sabayon, give that a go.

It works for me, it just doesn't do what I need....its also bloated as all hell.

Then again, Sabayon isn't the distribution you use for speed :p

I know in the end, once I've gotten used to all my hardware, which happens inevitably after 3 months of using any distribution, I'll probably go back to slackware and do a custom job for each of my machines.

slackware is the way to go, but I am too lazy for that. Which is why I will completely remove xgl tomorrow morning, as it bloats as you say, does not work sufficiently to satisfy my needs (dammit) and because I can't be bothered to switch distros or even upgrade to ubuntu 7.0... I think I might just leave gnome be and switch to blackbox or something more slick.

xnopasaranx posted on Mar 7 2007 at 11:27 PM said:
slackware is the way to go, but I am too lazy for that. Which is why I will completely remove xgl tomorrow morning, as it bloats as you say, does not work sufficiently to satisfy my needs (dammit) and because I can't be bothered to switch distros or even upgrade to ubuntu 7.0... I think I might just leave gnome be and switch to blackbox or something more slick.

All paths lead back to WindowMaker, you know.

I'm installing Ubuntu now, I have to say the installer is really really nice. It's probably one of the cleanest looking distro's I've seen. Also, I've gotten used to the Debian package manager from using OS X Fink for years now so, it works out well.

I dont know, everyone praises Gentoos portage, but I find it to be a pain in the ass. Sure it compiles stuff tailored to your machine, but it takes a long ass time and it breaks so easily, at least on sabayon.

If I want to compile stuff I'll do it directly from the tarball.

Feisty will not have Beryl or compiz. Mainly because the damn thing keeps crashing. It doesn't help matters that ATI hasn't released AIGLX compatible drivers, so one must make do with the XGL hack.
It isn't hard to install if you know your way around Ubuntu (and the forums), and the results are nothing short of amazing, yes.

Perky_Goth posted on Mar 7 2007 at 11:33 PM said:
Feisty will not have Beryl or compiz. Mainly because the damn thing keeps crashing. It doesn't help matters that ATI hasn't released AIGLX compatible drivers, so one must make do with the XGL hack.
It isn't hard to install if you know your way around Ubuntu (and the forums), and the results are nothing short of amazing, yes.

I've been on and off linux since the 2.2.x kernels, so I like to think I know my way around 8)

I actually installed Edgy Eft with the intent of manually installing beryl, as I found a guide that supposedly hacks Aiglx in even on Ati drivers.

Yes, both of my computers use Ati chips :( right now I'm typing this from the sabayon rig, my HP Pavilion ZV6000. Runs on an Ati 200m... so... bleh. Either way, if I can get Ubuntu running with aiglx on my main machine, I'll probably do the same thing for my laptop. A bloated OS like sabayon does not make for good battery life. But this theme is so great :(

I'm not even sure which one it is...its sorta like a light blue glass theme, and the borders glow. very easy on the eyes.

Auritribe posted on Mar 7 2007 at 11:32 PM said:
I dont know, everyone praises Gentoos portage, but I find it to be a pain in the ass. Sure it compiles stuff tailored to your machine, but it takes a long ass time and it breaks so easily, at least on sabayon.

Because it was great when Daniel Robbins was there. Now Gentoo is run by people who don't care about having stable versions in portage, so stuff doesn't even compile.
The point of portage is that you can easily get unusual stuff, like xpdf without the DRM bits or that X thingy that provides awesome font anti-aliasing if you enable the patented stuff on compile.

Reminds me 6 months ago, when everyone was expecting a new PSX4GP2X release o:) good ol' days ;) Zod sure know what pleases us ;)

Perky_Goth posted on Mar 7 2007 at 11:39 PM said:
Auritribe posted on Mar 7 2007 at 11:32 PM said:

Because it was great when Daniel Robbins was there. Now Gentoo is run by people who don't care about having stable versions in portage, so stuff doesn't even compile.
The point of portage is that you can easily get unusual stuff, like xpdf without the DRM bits or that X thingy that provides awesome font anti-aliasing if you enable the patented stuff on compile.

I've been using Gentoo for over a year, and I can't say I've had any issues with portage ever. Maybe the problem is your using a system made for Gentoo linux on a linux distribution that is not Gentoo linux?
I currently have only two binary applications on my system, and that's the Opera web browser and my ATi graphics drivers, the rest was either compiled automatically via portage, or manually via SVN & make/scons/gcc. The only 'issues' I can recall are ones involving updating a library then having to re-compile things that depend on it, and when not statically linking, this is to be expected so hardly an issue with portage itself. The down side of compiling everything manually is indeed the time it takes to do so and the processor drain that doing so incurs, however in my particular scenario, the minimal benefits of a custom compile (being able to use processor-specfic optimisations, such as --march=pentium4, and compiling with bias to producing optimal code rather than a speedy compile via the -O3 flag) These such things result in benefits such as slightly less battery drain (I use a laptop) and, when doing something such as using mencoder (I'm an encoder for Shinsen-Subs) I get faster encoding speeds. And using a self-compiled kernel results in a much faster boot and a system that works like I want it to. Of course, Gentoo is not for everyone and does require a lot of manual work. And as for the stability of applications in portage, I beg to differ, My entire system is compiled using packages that are masked with the ~x86 keyword and my applications do not kill themselves unexpectedly, my system does not suicide, my kernel does not unexpectedly halt. Perhapse the issues are with your kernel compile? I used to have stability issues because I enabled the framebuffer, but after reading around I found out that the ATi drivers are prone to error when this is enabled. I do not know if this is still the case, but even so, disabling a series of options in my kernel as per internet documentation resolved all the issues I was having.
Oh, and I've never bothered with XGL. Xorg is just fine for my system, which requires performance over virsual nirvana (and as I use ATi drivers it would probably be absolute hell to setup. But that's just a guess.). My WM is Fluxbox.

edit: fixed a typo.

I don't do Gentoo anymore. What I said came from a few reports and a story of some people who used to be Gentoo devs. I didn't mention application instability but broken compiles and broken dependencies. It wasn't just a few people who reported it, either.

As always, your mileage will vary.

Perky_Goth posted on Mar 8 2007 at 12:52 AM said:
I don't do Gentoo anymore. What I said came from a few reports and a story of some people who used to be Gentoo devs. I didn't mention application instability but broken compiles and broken dependencies. It wasn't just a few people who reported it, either.

I think its Sabayon, it focuses on bleeding edge eye candy over everything else, including stability and compatibility.

I'm sure Gentoo is great, but now that I've tried Ubuntu on my desktop, I'm ready to reinstall on the ZV6000. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to delete Ubuntu off my desktop, as no linux distribution seems to read my monitor correctly and keeps me from running past 1024x768 resolution. No matter how much I crap on the xorg.conf file.

The other problem I have is I run a Firefly Media Server on my main desktop pc so that all my other computers have music. Unfortunately, when I run mt-daapd to read the music from my NTFS partition(since its primarily a windows comp still) it wont let me, something to do with permission errors, I've tried everything to get the permissions right but I think its an NTFS issue. I also read in the configuration files that it has to be the same physical filesystem or it wont work. Too bad really , its a damn shame cause ubuntu is really nice.

Either way, I apologize in advance for derailing the thread, I think I'm done rambling about distributions for the night 8)

If anyone knows a way around my mt-daapd dilemma, please let me know. I'd transfer the files over to the linux partition but its a 62GB music archive... not an easy transfer, plus my linux partition was only 15GB, figured I'd store all my data on the NTFS partition... better luck next time I guess.

Auritribe posted on Mar 8 2007 at 01:57 AM said:
figured I'd store all my data on the NTFS partition... better luck next time I guess.

ntfs-3g is stable for some time now :) lets you read/write on NTFS partitions with very litle restrictions!

Perky_Goth posted on Mar 8 2007 at 12:52 AM said:

"Now Gentoo is run by people who don't care about having stable versions in portage"
Sorry, I thought that was refering to application instability.... I think the use of the word stable threw me off :D
And that font anti-aliasing thingy is called FreeType, I have it installed with sub-pixel AA enabled and it's pretty cool.
Now I'll go get some sleep....

reiboul posted on Mar 8 2007 at 01:10 AM said:
figured I'd store all my data on the NTFS partition... better luck next time I guess.

ntfs-3g is stable for some time now :) lets you read/write on NTFS partitions with very litle restrictions!

Yeah, I actually saw that right before you posted...I'm kinda surprised if its not there by default though.

Either way, I'm definitely gonna give that a go once Ubuntu finishes installing on the laptop.

Auritribe posted on Mar 8 2007 at 02:18 AM said:
reiboul posted on Mar 8 2007 at 01:10 AM said:

Yeah, I actually saw that right before you posted...I'm kinda surprised if its not there by default though.

Either way, I'm definitely gonna give that a go once Ubuntu finishes installing on the laptop.

Maybe it will become default on the latest distrib's (Ubuntu 7.04?) but it's only beta on Ubuntu 6.10
It has only been released 2 or 3 weeks ago!

(Ubuntu 6.10 came with this buggy-as-hell Gaim beta 5, though... guess it's not as critical as a beta ntfs driver ;) )

Back