New Status Of Gpsp (gba) Dynarec

Jackd posted on Mar 7 2007 at 04:07 AM said:
Well its good for some games and bad for others. Pacman is simply unplayable on my zodiac. Old racing games and slower games like rpg's are just fine. Only certain games need precision. When the age of n64 emulation and psx emulation comes to open source handhelds you will badly want an analog/dpad combo. The next generation gp3x/xgp or whatever had better have the combination. I dont understand all the crap the gp2x stick gets. I think it is great for arcade games because it is just like an arcade stick. It is digital but still in the stick form. I think it was designed with this in mind because things about the gp2x is its mame emulation.

I found the analog unuseable for shooters, Maze games as you said including Mr DO! , Donkey kong was an exercise in frustration to get Mario to climb a ladder, most arcade games where quick direction changes were annoying too. I play alot of these types of games. I found the zodiac unplayable for those. I found the stick on the GP2X a bit better but not great (which is why I made the d-pad). The GP2X stick would be OK if it weren't for that cavernous dead zone. Analog/digital combo would be nice though.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Mar 6 2007 at 08:17 PM said:
Analog/digital combo would be nice though.
Ya... an ngage dpad like in your mod with a zodiac analog stick (great design for an analog stick in my opinion) below it would be awesome.

Getting OT, but the GP2X stick is okay for most stuff, but dreadful for shooters. I simply can't dodge because of the dead zone and overall stiffness. I also often die because my character simply stops sometimes too when I am frantically changing directions.

As a good illustration, I have been playing Robotron on GP2X for months, never getting a score higher than 165k. I then fired it up on my PC with PS2 controller (via USB adapter), and got 285k on my first try.

Aside from that problem with shooters, the diagonal bias irritates me too on my MK1, often sending my character the wrong way from an overhead view or making me duck or something in a platformer. I'm definitely jumping on a dpad mod service as soon as it's available.

Since were offtopic, I'll add in to this one. :)

I got started in homebrew on the Zodiac, and am very tempted to get the GP2X version working on the Zodiac. If I don't do it, maybe someone such as Tinnus would. I am really sick of putting up with PalmOS programming, it's real nasty to deal with. I prefer even WinCE over PalmOS, and I owe the *cough* Gizmondo *cough* people a present still, so this may be it. Basically it will be a PocketPC version, since the Giz is basically a landscape 320x240 WinCE 4.2 PocketPC. It's just using handheld controls, and a now-removable-overlay instead of a touchscreen.

I found that most the work in the outputted translation cache is loading the C Dynarec's external function's address to call. Since these numbers are constant, I am using known constant register caching with some extra registers I have to see if it improves performance. I want this thing faster before releasing since some games just don't perform as well as I want.

You're great in Dynrec ! :D

zodttd posted on Mar 7 2007 at 01:08 PM said:
Since were offtopic, I'll add in to this one. :)

I got started in homebrew on the Zodiac, and am very tempted to get the GP2X version working on the Zodiac. If I don't do it, maybe someone such as Tinnus would. I am really sick of putting up with PalmOS programming, it's real nasty to deal with. I prefer even WinCE over PalmOS, and I owe the *cough* Gizmondo *cough* people a present still, so this may be it. Basically it will be a PocketPC version, since the Giz is basically a landscape 320x240 WinCE 4.2 PocketPC. It's just using handheld controls, and a now-removable-overlay instead of a touchscreen.

I found that most the work in the outputted translation cache is loading the C Dynarec's external function's address to call. Since these numbers are constant, I am using known constant register caching with some extra registers I have to see if it improves performance. I want this thing faster before releasing since some games just don't perform as well as I want.

Hi Hilary! Have you been working on any projects lately? Your code is extremely impressive!

naples39: the Mk2 stick is much better -- still nowhere near perfect, but I can handle shooters pretty well on mine. Even better since I modded the cap a little with some hot glue...

Anyway, back on topic... Zodttd, don't you ever sleep? ;)

GunPei2X posted on Mar 7 2007 at 06:58 AM said:
Anyway, back on topic... Zodttd, don't you ever sleep? ;)
Hehe, I was gonna post exactly the same thing!
I wonder sometimes what timezones some of you people are in.

Congrats on the dynarec progress zodttd, you know how to get the forums buzzing!

zodttd posted on Mar 7 2007 at 01:52 PM said:
Hi Hilary! Have you been working on any projects lately? Your code is extremely impressive!

Hi Zodttd,

My boss were kicking my ass to complete the project(s) ASAP or immediately. :blink: So... too busy from Oct till now.

I will restart my projects for the dynrec for the x86 and but at the first, I wanna to try your gpsp........ heehee. Playing Super Robot on my GP2x at Full Speed without OC ! Ye!

Agreed, i can't wait for the day I can get rid of my GBA :p (I wont actually :p)
btw, on the current version of gpsp (without the dynarec) I can play Alien Hominid very nicely without overclocking, just thought I should add that..

Great work zodttd, and thanks for letting us know about the improvements.

Seems like you deserve a dog in a tuxedo :
dog-clothes-tuxedo-1.jpg

Doh... no release yet!?!? Oh em gee get back to work coding slave! *whip, whip* No sleep until it's done! And you must do a handstand while typing on the keyboard! *nods*

(That is not at all serious btw... just incase fails to see I'm joking...)

this is dreadfully exciting - i got my gp2x because someone gave me their old GBA, got me hooked on portable gaming and had me looking around for other options. because of this i found the 2x and because of that i got back into retro gaming and got a dreamcast, a saturn, a gcube and an n64...so the gba has lots to answer for...

hahaha... join the club guys! I am hanging around here, idling and checking back all 10 minutes aswell like some sort of a handheld obsessed perv!

Oh, yeah and I am waiting for an email, cause I am going to buy a set of zodiac spareparts.

Shh guys... I think Zodttd is on his sleep cycle...

(also checking back regularly :) )

HE HAS TO WAKE UP SOME POINT!!! ARGH!

No seriously, is zodttd based in the us? I was wondering about that yesterday night just before I switched to hibernation mode myself. I was like: "Hmm... waiting forever will not help, how about I go to sleep and wake up with a nice surprise in the morning."
Guess I will have to wait a bit longer.

Back