Gba

I've just given the latest version a quick go. GBAGI is quite speedy, although the sound can get annoying as the beeps break up. Golden Sun is more or less fully playable with sound.

Jackd posted on Oct 21 2006 at 07:31 PM said:
ok its time, im gonna have to bust out pokemon emerald and try out this gmenu thing.
Pokemon Emerald is at 65-70FPS @ 285Mhz and FS5/no sound, 70-75FPS @ 285Mhz and FS0/no sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alvin posted on Oct 21 2006 at 08:37 PM said:
Pokemon Emerald is at 65-70FPS @ 285Mhz and FS5/no sound, 70-75FPS @ 285Mhz and FS0/no sound.

You mean "ms per frame" right? 'cause that's what the number shown with the show speed option means.
1000/70=14FPS

Ryo posted on Oct 21 2006 at 07:49 PM said:
Alvin posted on Oct 21 2006 at 08:37 PM said:

You mean "ms per frame" right? 'cause that's what the number shown with the show speed option means.
1000/70=14FPS
Oops, I meant percent.

xenonflash posted on Oct 21 2006 at 11:02 PM said:
If the pokemon games are completely playable on GP2X now, that seals the deal for me, I'm officially dying to get mine.
Actually the speeds are still quite low. I made some changes to avoid calculating the speed as it has some divisions. So the numbers which have been reported recently may actually be quite wrong. Physically comparing the same game on a GBA shows speed about 50%-75%(not accurate just by eye, and it varies at different parts of the game) of the real thing at FS6 (for the game which I have) and very bad sound. If you turn off sound it's more playable(the stuttering sound gets quite irritating after a while) but doesn't seem to go noticeably much faster. It is playable but not very enjoyable if you compare with real GBA.

Pokemon games are unplayable. I haven't actually started playing (since my ROM was in German, I just wanted to report performance), but even the introduction is really slow. Text is incredibly slow coming too, if you hold down B, it goes about as fast as it would go normally on a GBA.

Ryo posted on Oct 21 2006 at 07:03 PM said:
@pcklee123: I just noticed that you used an old version of the paeryn sdl that have the L and R shoulder buttons and the X and Y buttons swapped.
Use this version: http://paeryn.myby.co.uk/libSDL_16.tar.bz2 that adds 16M of upper memory for hardware surfaces or just invert them.
I just tried it but it crashes. Maybe because the rom loads to the 16MB which is also used by this version of SDL. gbc roms still worked probably because that doesnt try to use the upper 32MB ram. I also tried GuyFawkes precompiled libs. That seems not to crash

I really don´t know what i´m doing wrong!! :blink:
This is my gmenu file:
title=GBA
icon=/mnt/sd/Games/gba/vba.png
exec=/mnt/sd/Games/gba/vba.gpe
clock=250
selectordir=/mnt/sd/Games/gba/
selectorfilter=.gba
wrapper=true

It´s in Unix Format, of course. I´ve also tried all kinds of variations but I always get stuck atthe "Launching GBA" screen with the gmenu in the background. My gp2x gets up to 300mhz, so it isn´t the clockspeed. All the directories are right. I just don´t know what else could be wrong. I put one rom inthe gba folder and called it avt.gba. I don´t have a bios or a special selector,except the one from gmenu. Can anybody help me out? :unsure: :unsure:

mtracy posted on Oct 22 2006 at 02:31 PM said:
I really don´t know what i´m doing wrong!! :blink:
This is my gmenu file:
title=GBA
icon=/mnt/sd/Games/gba/vba.png
exec=/mnt/sd/Games/gba/vba.gpe
clock=250
selectordir=/mnt/sd/Games/gba/
selectorfilter=.gba
wrapper=true

It´s in Unix Format, of course. I´ve also tried all kinds of variations but I always get stuck atthe "Launching GBA" screen with the gmenu in the background. My gp2x gets up to 300mhz, so it isn´t the clockspeed. All the directories are right. I just don´t know what else could be wrong. I put one rom inthe gba folder and called it avt.gba. I don´t have a bios or a special selector,except the one from gmenu. Can anybody help me out? :unsure: :unsure:
This is mine..

Code:
description=Gameboy Advance Emulator
icon=/mnt/sd/emulators/vba2x/vba.png
exec=/mnt/sd/emulators/vba2x/vba.gpe
params=[selFullPath]
clock=250
selectordir=/mnt/sd/roms/gba/
selectorfilter=zip
wrapper=true

@mtracy: it should work, provided that the directories and filenames are right.
Sometimes I noticed that unix and windows display fat32 directories and filenames with different cases. Check the filenames from gmenu2x.

@subcon959: Your params is not needed since [selFullPath] is the default value, but it doesn't hurt to specify it. Also the filter should be ".zip" 'cause your filter would also recognize a file named "thisisnotazip" but it probably won't happen :)

Well, i solved the Problem... I forgot to install the latest version of gmenu2x. :lol: :lol:
It works fine now. :D :D

A new version is up for grabs on the archive.

updated:
frameskip change in game using stick-click & vol + or vol-
quit using stick-click & start
stick-click & B =load "savestate"
stick-click & A =save "savestate"
X = speedup
Y = save image
L+R+ Start = Pause (Maybe someone can help put in a menu to change options load new rom etc change save state ... )
stick-click & X = display frame rate

bugs:
the displayed "speed" (the one in red) is not correct it just represents the time between frames so smaller number is better.
fps always shows zero

Get it here.

Back