GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

I would guess that maybe half the people that buy a zero will use it exclusively for emulators. GCW has already got some emu devs on board and has shown some nice stuff running in the video. So perhaps half of the install base will never spend another dime after they buy the hardware. I can see the value of a marketplace. I am just not sure it would make enough money to even support it's own infrastructure.

I've actually seen an article elsewhere which suggests the same thing.

It's here, and you may find it to be interesting reading.

Great article, thanks Prometheus. I have seen a few too, specially based on the humble bundle open values.

... I can see the value of a marketplace. I am just not sure it would make enough money to even support it's own infrastructure.

That is a good point, I would not know it either.

But the current open handheld repository do cost money, for bandwidth and administration at least, other then the neat design.

I take a store may come to cost some more. How is the current repository financed (if people would pardon this intrusive question)?

I see a ´powered by ED´ on it´s prime page. Would he be the one running it too?

A bit off topic but if I wanted to start programming as a hobby for these handhelds does anyone know of a good repository of information to start with?

The open handheld repository I stated above is a good start:

http://openhandhelds.org/

Choose your handheld and you have a category named ´development´.

There you may find the necessary tools to kick start.

It is also important to take part on the related forums and here as prime experienced developers do stay around and may help you out with questions or specific technics to achieve something.

I personally use GLBasic for development as since it is a BASIC language it is more keen to my background on programming for old 8-bit computers (coco II, msx). The best era I got into game design was around the AMOS and BLITZ back on the amiga days, both BASIC languages too, so it makes it all easier for me (specially to port my old games).

We will move forward with current screen and optimize the OS emulators/Apps/Games to there full potential and hopefully soon have another video with game play with games mention and video and audio playability.

As for special edition all will be labeled GCW-Zero Special addition on front and back of console and possible signature of all key devs on back.

Once website goes up in next week or so we will also have a sneak peak section with chat segments pictures and video of the progress for those that get the special edition.

To answer your question yes the console has an ear bud socket and console will come with very good quality ear buds... Yes we are getting better quality speakers sourced right now so on release the analog nub will be separately mapped and the Zero will have better speakers.

None of this has come easy decision wise or been taken lightly my main goal is make a superb gaming console at a decent price with main features everyone has been wanting has and always will be. After alot of thought messing with what we already have minus the fine tuning would take time and money also drive up the cost to unacceptable level.

Sweeeet~ :)

There will be more to come video playback and audio playback and of course emulators once we get them optimized....

Here is a direct link to the video:

http://youtu.be/wCM1kLh-9fI

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to add another incentive to the special edition boosting storage from 4GB to 8GB for the Special Edition along with the sneak peek section on the website once it goes live later this week.

@ GCW : What made you choose HDMI over display port if production cost is a major issue?

An answer to this would be of considerable interest to (at least some of) the Pandora community in terms of the way forward for Pandora 2.

Your the man GCW I like that idea of more memory as opendingux actually reads the internal memory as well so it will be of some use the limited edition is getting even more and more tasty glad I got one.Just wanted to ask as no one has asked this will the limited edition be a special couloir white or red or black and what colors will be available at launch.

@ GCW : What made you choose HDMI over display port if production cost is a major issue?

An answer to this would be of considerable interest to (at least some of) the Pandora community in terms of the way forward for Pandora 2.

Easily answered not easily sourced in china at the moment mini HDMI was readily available versus most factories that make the Display Port supply them to FoxConn for apple products.

Easily answered not easily sourced in china at the moment mini HDMI was readily available versus most factories that make the Display Port supply them to FoxConn for apple products.

So do you have to pay the HDMI licensing fee if you're going to sell these things from America? Or will they only ship from China?

Decided to add another incentive to the special edition boosting storage from 4GB to 8GB for the Special Edition along with the sneak peek section on the website once it goes live later this week.

Excellent news :) I feel special!

Back