GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

Yes theweirdn8, you'll like it I'm sure, nice little machine :)

Nice one zear, I'll check that out then, I was just trying again about half hour ago, tried zipping the games but still no luck, I'll check for the f/w update

That was the ticket zear, got the latest f/w and straight in, some Chuckie Egg before bedtime for me, sweet :)

The battery life seemed rather short. Maybe it doesn't come fully charged or something...

But it cut off, without warning...

It's quite common for batteries to be supplied less than half charged, as that's the best way to store batteries for a long time before they're put into your device.  Now I've no idea what the battery life on the GCW0 is like but I'd advise leaving it on charge overnight before testing it.

So after some time playing with your device what is your general impression of it?

I'm trying to decide between getting a refurb Pandora Classic, a GCW-Zero or an NVidia Shield (though this one is more expensive).

Also, how do you use the Terminal app with no keyboard?

I've not launched the terminal myself, just been playing games on it, and only some SNES and ZX Spectrum ones so far.

Loving it though, great feeling device and controls well

Well they are available at Ithic right now with delivery in end of august/start of September. But I guess being in Ireland you're waiting for ED to have some.

Got a sticky key problem.

It seems to be the left-d-pad button. Pretty annoying. I've been trying to fix it, no go so far.

You can use silicone lubricant for a temporary fix or you can disassemble the unit and sand the edges of the dpad to fix it permanently. But be warned that there are some very small wires going to the shoulder buttons and to the battery and they can snap very easily. I did this and snapped one going to the left shoulder. I managed to fix it by resoldering it but if your not comfortable with that I'd use the lube.

You can also get in touch with Justin and he'll send you a replacement dpad if your willing to do it yourself. I guess you could also inquire about sending it in to be repaired by him but that may take some time due to the KS units going out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not want to risk breaking it.

I am still awaiting for the GCW-Zero store, otherwise it is just chilling on top of my TV.

I received the case today and I must say these things are impressive, I just ordered a clear one as well. The one thing I would comment on is I wish the fit was a tiny bit more snug. The unit moves around a little and it makes me worry about the analog stick.

Back