GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

A lot of stuff going on. I wish them luck and can't wait to see the ZERO and future projects.

I think four people have already said they will do a review as soon as they get it. Lots of coverage coming soon I think.

Thanks to D_Smagin for the kick butt Emulators and as always Qbert for his fab videos/reviews.

As to why I haven't been on the channel laying out mad posts now as of late...

We have issues with the internal card reader and external reader on the console after exhaustive test we narrowed it down to PCB connection or the reader itself in the end it was the reader itself.

So the factory is in overtime mode now desoldiering the readers and manually resoldiering them now.

Estimated time till I get first batch of 50 to 75 is Oct 11th, 2012 to be followed by 100 by 25th of October, 2012 this is just estimated and could be quicker. I will be shipping them out first ordered to last ordered style so it will go by when you ordered the console.

Also don’t worry no matter what we will be at Grass Roots Gaming Expo even if it’s just demo’ing the console to the public not selling it.

Now the next part PayPal in its infinite wisdom has decided not to unlimit my account as they consider any open source project risky and possible that you as the purchaser might not like the console cosmetically or ecstatically or because it is new might not function as you the customer would like.

They have advised me to refund money for second payment and provide you the customer an alternate form of payment with another company or just provide refunds and look for alternate forms of funding to pay for shipments of new consoles via a bank loan or credit card.

So if you would like just a plain refund please let me know and that can be arranged or I will find another payment method such as Amazon Payment or Google pay and refund the money and you can make payment there.

Idea three I could start online petition and you could sign it with PayPal web address to verify you are ok with it and willing to take risk of this project and will not be requesting refund as you want to see this console hit the market full steam.

Most if not all will be shipped by 15th to 20th of October, 2012 if I have anything to do about it and I will push for it.

I know Paypal is trying to protect it's customers and I understand this and respect it but the only reason they even limited the account was because several people used paypal accounts that didn't belong to them to order the console.

That put Paypal in full alert and well the rest is like I stated above... I'm truly sorry and wish there was something else I could do to change it...

The only good thing I guess you could take away from this is that at least this gives the development team more time to polish and optimize the OS, APPS, and Games.

All first payments are ok that is not the issue it's with the second invoiced payment if your fine you will not get a refund notice in your paypal if you get the notice you will have to use the other form of payment method with which ever company I can figure out. I do apologize for this and wish I had another solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the PayPal issue and you refunding...

Are you just aiming this question to those who had paid the first installment, half the total cost, and cannot pay you the final installment due to your PayPal account not accepting payments now?

Or, even to those who've paid the full amount already, 2 installments, do those people need to request a refund too and make the payment via other means?

I suspect the first option but just checking..

I paid the 2 payments already, so I needn't do anything, right?

Cheers

Ok gcw, understood.

I think you updated your post above or I hadn't noticed the lower section of it when I replied... But I understand now.

If I have notification from PayPal that my 2nd payment was refunded, I'll await your response as to which other method you chose, amazon or whatever.

I still want this machine, I'm not going to be requesting a full refund.

I have patience, a lot of us have had good training on that front :)

Thanks for info

Oddly enough Paypal told me on the paypal website that my account was limited because I was randomly picked for a routine secuirity test by them.That may be why there was trouble with some accounts. I was unable to make payments as a result.

It would be grand if I could just keep using Pay Pal as the method of payment because it is so widely used by so many big business’s, but the account is limited and won't be unlimited till refunds are given or proof of receipt of the actual console has been delivered without issues.

Either way its big brother tactics by Pay Pal making decisions for its customer base under the guise of protecting them and me as a merchant is the spin they put on it.

I don't fault them for wanting to protect their customers but some of the rules and regulations they have are redundant and hurt the customer and the merchant and definitely don't promote growth for a small business in any way shape or form.

End of the day nothing I can do or say as a merchant to change it or you as a customer can say to make them change rules or regulations they have in place or how they decide to enact them or interpret them.

Plus with the Google checkout this still provides a level of security and comfort for you as the customer making a purchase of the console.

So do all second payments have to be refunded or are some of us ok? If yes why are some ok and some not?

I wondered this too...

I'm thinking only some, as I've not had any mail from PayPal regarding refund.

That's what I'm hoping.

Same, I got nothing from paypal, do that mean I'm clear and don't have to use an other payment method?

Let me clarify this if you get a refund notice from PayPal you will then recieve a Google Checkout notice for the payment that was refunded from PayPal.

If you don't get one in the next 48 hours as once again I'm doing this manually then you are fine with current form of payment.

This is PayPals doing not mine due to there policies and regulations I can't change them nor can you and e-mailing them will not resolve then issue either.

So i do apologize but please set tight and wait and see if you get the refund notice from PayPal and new invoice from Google Checkout.

beware Justin, that recently(10 yers.) many indies, hardware or software wise have been suffering from these methods of payment, pandora itself, as well as notch or the guys at project zomboid are good examples.

Make sure you have alternatives of payment, and don´t concentrate everything on a single choice.

People around here may know alternatives too.

Good advice what is another payment option besides google checkout that is reliable

doh, just received the refund mail... there goes my hopes of being clear...

I so hate paypal. you'll need to wait this evening for a payment. I've never used google checkout, do I need to create a whole google something plus account to be able to pay?

Back