Geekiest Thing You've Done Lately

A friend of mine when the first star wars came out, decided he wanted luke's lightsaber! So he wrote to lucus arts (or whatever they were called then), and asked them what they made them out of. He would be about 12 or 13 at the time.

A man from the prop department wrote him back, with the exact parts list of all the original light sabers. So Tim started to collect the stuff-a 1954 something camera for this part etc.

Anyway, he's kept it up and now has this astonishing collection of light sabers! They look beautiful, and must be worth a fortune! When he was showing me them, his dad came in, and was amazed that he didn't even know about them.... But they just made my jaw drop!

To name drop a bit, :D . I was at college with Ewen Macgregor. He went out with one of my best friends (who sang at my wedding), so we used to hang around in the canteen area together. He had blond hair then, iirc, and was a nice bloke! It's kinda bizzare now to see him everywhere I go (even here in germany-he's even on my breakfast cerials...!) But at least I can tell my kids I used to know Obiwan... :p

I also made a lightsaber for a pre-GCSE tech project

it involved a badly made handle, a lightbulb, a big battery, a clear cyclinder, some gas (Nitrogen IIRC), and some tinted light filters i got from the drama dept.

it actually worked OK, but it was dangerous when all the gas leaked out

lol :D
i saw a light sabre in a gasget shop in london lately (easter)
i was there on holiday and a friend told me they were going to close ]=
but the light sabre was cool...it had some sorta neon cylinder (argh...dont know the english word, in german leuchtstoffroehre or neonroehre), but the light came in from the handle and it made appropriate sounds... was like 150pounds though :D :D

They were'nt real light sabers-ie. they never emitted light! They were PERFECT copies of the handles. I have a few pictures somewhere, cos they were astonishing. Heavy and solid beasts!

He's had incredible offers, iirc, from people to buy them...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back