Gemei A330

A600 said:
Better?, probably. Suited for homebrew? I doubt it, because Chinachip isn't going to release an SDK or documentation for its CPU, so...

im sorry for my ignorance on the subject. did ingenic release documentation for the JZ* in the dingoo then? is that what made it easier for booboo to do his linux work?

Last edited by a moderator:
gibberish said:
im sorry for my ignorance on the subject. did ingenic release documentation for the JZ* in the dingoo then? is that what made it easier for booboo to do his linux work?

Yes. The Ingenic FTP is full of goodies like a patch for compiling the linux kernel; without it, it would have been really hard to get Linux on the Dingoo.

ChinaChip is known for stealing source codes like Exophase's gba emu or Notaz's Picodrive for its "built-in" emus not for sharing documentation or support the open source scene.

well that is a shame, and will probably mean i dont buy this thing.
for me linux on the dingoo has more than doubled its value.

assuming linux is pushing sales of the dingoo (i dont know, but i think so), and if gemei are hoping to conquer the dingoo market with their a330 then i sincerely hope they learn some lessons when they fail to do so. fat chance eh?

A600 said:
gibberish said:

Yes. The Ingenic FTP is full of goodies like a patch for compiling the linux kernel; without it, it would have been really hard to get Linux on the Dingoo.

ChinaChip is known for stealing source codes like Exophase's gba emu or Notaz's Picodrive for its "built-in" emus not for sharing documentation or support the open source scene.

Whoever put the emulators on A320 did the exact same thing though ;p

according to mp4nation the processor is still unknown. so maybe we're in luck with another ingenic chip?

http://mp4nation.net/blog/2009/08/gemei-confirms-new-game-player-a330/

gibberish said:
according to mp4nation the processor is still unknown. so maybe we're in luck with another ingenic chip?

I's a CC1600 chip and it looks like it's an ARM. I unpacked the HXF firmware from other device that uses it and found this on the ccpmp.bin file:

ROOT\DVC\ARM\ARM9 ROOT\DVC\MMU\MMU0 ROOT\DVC\UART\COM0 ROOT\DVC\UART\COM1 ROOT\DVC\UART\COM2 ROOT\DVC\TCU\TIMER0 ROOT\DVC\TCU\TIMER1 ROOT\DVC\TCU\TIMER2 ROOT\DVC\TCU\TIMER3 ROOT\DVC\TCU\TIMER4 ROOT\DVC\TCU\TIMER5 ROOT\DVC\TCU\TIMER6 ROOT\DVC\TCU\TIMER7 ROOT\DVC\IIC\IIC0 ROOT\DVC\IRR\IRR0 ROOT\DVC\WDT\WDT0 ROOT\DVC\GPIO\GPIO0 ROOT\DVC\PWM\PWM0 ROOT\DVC\RTC\RTC0 ROOT\DVC\SPI\SPI0 ROOT\DVC\ADC\ADC0 ROOT\DVC\NANDC\NANDC0 ROOT\DVC\CPM\CPM0 ROOT\DVC\INTC\INTC0 ROOT\DVC\IIS\IIS0 ROOT\DVC\SDC\MMC0 ROOT\DVC\SDC\MMC1 ROOT\DVC\DMA\DMA0 ROOT\DVC\DMA\DMA1 ROOT\DVC\DMA\DMA2 ROOT\DVC\DMA\DMA3 ROOT\DVC\EMC\EMC0 ROOT\DVC\VPU\VPU0

and looking at the brochure

9qjrpu.jpg

it's clear that they are going to "port" all those emus (MAME, MD, SEGACD, SNES, PSX) using the GP2X ones.

More info:

Expansion supports up to 8GB mini-SD Card Capacity Expansion

System
Display: 3-inch 320X240 resolution LTPS screen
Menu language: Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, English
Audio Player supported formats: MP3, WMA, WAV, APE, FLAC format audio player
- support for song search function
Sound Mode
SNR
FM frequency range: 76MHZ ~ 108MHZ, support for campus radio (frequency range 76MHZ ~ 90MHZ), support for more than 40 radio stations, supports FM launch
Recording capabilities: record to MP3, WAV audio format
Lyrics synchronization support
Uses Cirrus audio chip, the world's leading independent audio decoder chip

Video playback supported formats: RM, RMVB, AVI, FLV format video player;
Playback capability 720P, 10Mb stream, no shades of gray play.
DVD Component video output Component video output
Video Recording
Decoder chip: CC1600 four Chinese nuclear power plant fly-core master bus architecture

To support additional features text-reading TTS language to read, with a bookmark function, support while listening to music, watching pictures look e-book function
Photo browser supports JPG, BMP, PNG and other image formats here and support the Rotary / Slide Show
Putting-feature pairs of speakers left and right channels outposting

Game support: 8-bit 16-bit 32-bit game simulator. Such as: NES, GBA and other emulators, and they are being upgraded for more games simulator
Shooting
OTG digital companion firmware can be upgraded through

Other support for song search; support for dual-threaded operation; support firmware upgrade function; automatically update your library, information, video breakpoint continue broadcasting free to change the background themes to customize your desktop, change the font color, picture browsing / rotation, radio a list of unique features such as timing off set the interface USB USB2.0 High-Speed

Headphones 3.5mm headphone output

Battery Li-ion battery 1900mAh

OS WIN98SE/ME, WIN2000, XP system

Accessories: USB cable, headphones, manual, warranty card, audio output cable, video output cable, charger

Good and bad going to ARM.

Personally I like MIPS alot - it's just so nice for assembler.

ARM of course has a nice bunch of open source assembler and seems to be somewhat faster Mhz for Mhz against MIPS (though the Wiz seems to break this rule for some reason).

I found the SDK for the cc1600 chip here It includes source codes and a few docs and it's confirmed is an ARM :)

It also adds a very interesting feature (translated from the chinese) : "Supports full synchronization of Windows debugging"

slaanesh said:

ARM of course has a nice bunch of open source assembler and seems to be somewhat faster Mhz for Mhz against MIPS (though the Wiz seems to break this rule for some reason).

Man, I can't relate with what you're saying at all. I've done a large amount of ARM and MIPS assembly now and ARM seems much nicer to work in. You get predication, combined shifts, more ALU operations like bic and rsb, good address mode for memory operations, and block memory transfers. On MIPS you have to worry about delay slots and the rather miserable condition of only being able to use memory + imm16 addressing for memory operations. It's pretty bad for look up tables, including jump tables. Sure, you get more registers, but that's hampered by the (IMO) poor choice in calling convention. That is, if you're interfacing with compiler generated code a lot. I think the only thing I really like more about MIPS are the flagless branch instructions and set condition instructions, although even though are pretty limited. It's hard to really find a lot of strong suits in an ISA designed to be as simple to implement as possible.

MIPS per MHz on these CPUs is really going to be dominated by the memory subsystem, hence what you see on Wiz. Other than that it of course depends on which actual implementation you're using. ARM9 and a typical 8ish stage MIPS32 pipeline (PSP, I'm guessing Dingoo) should take rather similar numbers of cycles/have rather similar interlocks/stalls for things like ALU, memory operations, and branches.

The branch delay slots are kind of a pain. It's a nice idea in theory, but a lot of the delay slots end up being NOPs and reducing code density. Modern out-of-order processors will evaluate the branch condition as early as possible, making this instruction sequencing unnecessary, although this requires more silicon.

Also, position-independent code is somewhat difficult on MIPS.

Exophase said:
slaanesh said:

Man, I can't relate with what you're saying at all.

I recognize that ARM is superior to MIPS - especially comparing ARM9 to MIPS32. In fact when I first looked at MIPS32 I was surprised at just how bare it is - which is also what makes it appealing to me. It really is a Reduced Instruction Set CPU. In some ways it reminds me of the simplicity of M6502 - which was the first CPU I learned (C64).
Perhaps that's why I like it?

I'm still getting to grips with ARM assembler and all it's features - MIPS32 is just less to remember for older timers such as myself.
I need a new and agile brain. Where's my NDS and my copy of "Brain Training"? :D

i dont think its available anywhere at all at the moment...
news seems to have died down on it, perhaps they scrapped it after reading this thread :p

IIRC this was confirmed by Dingoo Digital Shenzen to be a fake, or at least not theirs. They stated at the same time tho that they are in fact working on a Dingoo successor, but it is still in the planning stages and won't be done for some time. I'd source it, but I remember reading it on the free-forums before they went down.

Consequence9 said:
IIRC this was confirmed by Dingoo Digital Shenzen to be a fake, or at least not theirs. They stated at the same time tho that they are in fact working on a Dingoo successor, but it is still in the planning stages and won't be done for some time. I'd source it, but I remember reading it on the free-forums before they went down.

i saw that too, but i also saw this: http://mp4nation.net/blog/2009/08/gemei-confirms-new-game-player-a330/
who knows.

gibberish said:
Consequence9 said:

i saw that too, but i also saw this: http://mp4nation.net...me-player-a330/
who knows.

No surprise here, since Dingoo is not Gemei and doesn't actually make hardware, just repackages it.

some new pics surfaced a while ago. looks like this thing will be released sometime after all.
it looks beautiful to me...

a330.jpg

http://img5.imagebanana.com/img/w8o5vllo/a330.jpg
http://img5.imagebanana.com/img/mz346wyg/1007092003ce6ecb8f10d834e5.jpg
http://img5.imagebanana.com/img/ha49yju/1007092019d507e515e2ed5f22.jpg
http://img5.imagebanana.com/img/y1exgyw/10070920271b90ef8e7fac7f4a.jpg
http://img5.imagebanana.com/img/0xbrl0rz/10070920108d8e52a24e14d57d.jpg
http://img5.imagebanana.com/img/y29k3aad/100709201093e31464702090ac.jpg

Back