GP2X Getting Proper Tv-out Resolution With No Scaling At All

Fantastic news ryleh, great work.

My Nintendo N64 Advance (see sig) will be finished fairly soon, then, with your update, providing the output is great, I could be on the way to my GP2x mod project...

Although the PSone screen only takes composite and RGB for video, there is a mod to take S-video on BenHeck; might be worth trying!

A little update:

Today I've done a little more work on tv out after a few weeks busy with other projects.
There are three important news:

1) Fixing tv out won't require direct hardware banging and adjust timers after all. I've found a very very simple solution that works equally well. I guess non-minimal SDKs will have a quick fix this way too.
2) The NTSC mode stills being perfect.
3) I guess the annoying black borders (overscan) in PAL mode can be probably removed without major problems. I'm 98% close to a solution.

I will require some of you to test the final solution in many TVs as possible.
Hope to gather some spare time tomorrow and do the final job.

Have fun

Ok, today is the TV day :p

Can you guys tell me about this TV test? (see attachment)

It will show you 2 images in PAL mode, then 2 images in NTSC mode. You don't have to press any button to slideshow the images. You don't have to enable TV mode previously either.

NTSC should be 100% ok, PAL mode is ok but has 2 little black bars (since i'm relocating a 320x240 image into a 320x288 framebuffer).

Image should be 1:1 with no scaling artifacts in both cases.

It would be nice if you take some photographs of TV running the test, then posting those photos here ('cos I'd see the results for each TV and I'd see your TV overscan borders too)

That's all for the moment.
If this solution proves to be ok I'll post the source code and we'll start moving to other bits.

Thanks in advance guys.

I had +/- the same results as notaz, also with a tv card. I tested with open2x firmware, gave some errors when running the program (rmmod and insmods that did not work). After a few tries, the images were shifted for some reason (the A was not visible anymore, first I had a black bar on the left). I don't know why it happened. I will test again this evening.

Rlyeh, here are the 4 images.

They were taken from my monitor with TV integrated (no capture card), the black borders it's the own monitor, not a black bar.

Spanish:
Rlyeh, aquí te dejo las imágenes.

He hecho las fotos de mi monitor (uno de esos con sintonizador de TV integrada, entrada de video separada, etc.). Los bordes negros no son cosa de tu programa, sino que es el marco de la pantalla del monitor.

Puck2099 said:
kouky said:
Puck, I can see scaling artefacts in your gp2x screens photos.
I'm afraid that's not a good news...
I see them too, but it could be maybe because it's a HD monitor... :unsure:

i dont see 'em
can you guys put a red circle over them?

Last edited by a moderator:
scaling.png

I still have an Old system with a BT878(Clone?) Capture card, it does take good screen caps of NTSC but the color levels are usually shot.

Used to use :
http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/
It worked.

Could try that notaz.

Also:

Also what about some better 'Test Patterns'?

Like an alternating Green/Red set of horizontal bars / and a set of vertical bars, to look for missing scanlines?

http://www.oodletuz.fsnet.co.uk/tcd/index.htm

OR a Test Card/ Pattern, something that can be easily checked for odd stuff.

Lithosphere said:
I tested with open2x firmware, gave some errors when running the program (rmmod and insmods that did not work).
That's because the new Minimal Library seems to have some binary module included which isn't compiled for Open2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back