Getting Smashgp Onto Gp32

AzureStarline

Still Fresh
So I have a working GP32 and a 128mb SMC in it. I have two laptops, one with Vista and the other with Windows 7. So far, no luck getting the unit to recognize. I just want to put SmashGP on the darn thing. Any advice?

You mean your laptop doesn't see the gp32 via the usb cable? If that is the case just get a card reader and plug your smc into that.

I'm considering getting a card reader, but last night I ended up making some progress. Using my old iBook, I downloaded iGP32 and was able to get the GP32 and laptop connected somewhat successfully. I can move files over to the SMC, but when I then disconnect to play the added files it doesn't work. I'm admittedly not very knowledgeable in homebrew and open source handhelds, having recently got into them. I know there are a few folders on the SMC since I formatted it using iGP32. There's GPMM, GAME, and some others. I dropped the two games I downloaded, Super Plusha and SmashGP, into the GAME folder. No luck. Advice? Thanks.

I have in hand a blank 128MB SMC.

I pop it into a regular GP32 NLU, and for nerdy sake do a complete format, using the firmware (Slubman, is my fav).

(I make a cup of tea)

(I drink cup of tea)

(I make another cuppa)

OMG... Format complete!.

I pop the SMC into the card reader and into the SMC root drive I copy:

"FreePlusha4GP32" - my named, and zipped Super Plusha.
"SmashGp04d" - my named, and zipped Smash GP

I then unzip each in the root folder, and then delete the zipped files I originally copied.

Please note that each of the above files, as it extracts, has it's program, and respective data files placed in the folder named "GPMM". However for Super Plusha, I find a "Plusha readme", and PDF "Super Plusha Manual", in the root folder. In the "GPSYS" folder I find the "Plusha.SAV".

(The folder named "GAME", is typically used by commercial games, and the old free launcher).

I eject the SMC card reader from the PC.

I now place the SMC in the GP32, and power up, and I can see SmashGP, and Super Plusha. Sadly, I have not installed the Smash GP pack, or more individual characters. Super Plusha it is then.

I always ask this question to users that are new to the GP32.

Which screen do you see when you switch on your GP32 ?.

This one ?,

Koreanmenu.jpg

Or this one ?,

Blumenu.jpg

Trooper

trooper said:
I always ask this question to users that are new to the GP32.

Which screen do you see when you switch on your GP32 ?.

This one ?,

Koreanmenu.jpg

Or this one ?,

Blumenu.jpg

Trooper

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm at work now but I'll give this another try when I get home this evening. Trooper, to answer your question, I see the top screen with the three circle options (Game, MP3, and PC Link, I'm pretty sure).

I got a SMC reader for like $5 off eBay and it seems to work much better for getting the SMC and my laptop to like each other.

@Asteroid I'm going to do exactly as you said. What did you mean, something about a SmashGP game pack? I know there are more characters to download - I'll do that once I get the core game working.

Can't wait to play these 2 games :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Asteroid said:
I have in hand a blank 128MB SMC.

I pop it into a regular GP32 NLU, and for nerdy sake do a complete format, using the firmware (Slubman, is my fav).

(I make a cup of tea)

(I drink cup of tea)

(I make another cuppa)

OMG... Format complete!.

I pop the SMC into the card reader and into the SMC root drive I copy:

"FreePlusha4GP32" - my named, and zipped Super Plusha.
"SmashGp04d" - my named, and zipped Smash GP

I then unzip each in the root folder, and then delete the zipped files I originally copied.

Please note that each of the above files, as it extracts, has it's program, and respective data files placed in the folder named "GPMM". However for Super Plusha, I find a "Plusha readme", and PDF "Super Plusha Manual", in the root folder. In the "GPSYS" folder I find the "Plusha.SAV".

(The folder named "GAME", is typically used by commercial games, and the old free launcher).

I eject the SMC card reader from the PC.

I now place the SMC in the GP32, and power up, and I can see SmashGP, and Super Plusha. Sadly, I have not installed the Smash GP pack, or more individual characters. Super Plusha it is then.

I just did exactly this and when I choose GAME from the main screen it's still saying no game or SMC, same as before.

Do not wish to insult you, sorry if I have it all wrong, but...

I am guessing from what I have read so far that you are using stock firmware, which if I remember rightly (or wrongly), does not give the option to format an SMC (I always find formatting with the GP works best).

From your answer to trooper, I shall ask if you are fortunate enough to have "Mr Spivs Multi Firmware" installed. I think if you press select it gives you some more options. Also I think further exploration yields format, through one of the choices (I am not a user of Mr Spivs, so can not confirm this exactly).

At the moment I think you are stuck with a stock firmware GP32 unit, with no option to format from the unit, and you have only one card, which you have already formatted via the PC (destroying the original format on the card - if it did indeed come with the GP32). Please confirm, if the firmware allows you to format or not? As this is the only real hurdle that I can see.

If this was the original card with the GP32, did you back it up? (just curious).

The Smash GP Pack, has 4 extra backgrounds and some music. Go to the openhandhelds site under GP32, right hand side under most downloads, in the list.

Asteroid said:
Do not wish to insult you, sorry if I have it all wrong, but...

I am guessing from what I have read so far that you are using stock firmware, which if I remember rightly (or wrongly), does not give the option to format an SMC (I always find formatting with the GP works best).

From your answer to trooper, I shall ask if you are fortunate enough to have "Mr Spivs Multi Firmware" installed. I think if you press select it gives you some more options. Also I think further exploration yields format, through one of the choices (I am not a user of Mr Spivs, so can not confirm this exactly).

At the moment I think you are stuck with a stock firmware GP32 unit, with no option to format from the unit, and you have only one card, which you have already formatted via the PC (destroying the original format on the card - if it did indeed come with the GP32). Please confirm, if the firmware allows you to format or not? As this is the only real hurdle that I can see.

If this was the original card with the GP32, did you back it up? (just curious).

The Smash GP Pack, has 4 extra backgrounds and some music. Go to the openhandhelds site under GP32, right hand side under most downloads, in the list.

Hello and thanks for the help. I bought an SMC card after buying the GP32, so no it did not come with the unit. I simply used iPG32 with my Mac to format it but I haven't done more than that. I'm pretty new to open source handhelds and none of my local friends know anything about it either, so I'm on my own here. This "Mr Spivs Multi Firmware" installation is something I'll check out asap.

As for the Smash GP Pack, I downloaded it and have it as well as a number of additional characters to add to the main game once I get it playing successfully.

I think most of us learned on our own the hard way.

Having a place like this forum is great :) .

Once you have checked out to confirm your firmware, we can get your games working by hook or by crook.

Asteroid said:
I think most of us learned on our own the hard way.

Having a place like this forum is great :) .

Once you have checked out to confirm your firmware, we can get your games working by hook or by crook.

I appreciate your help a lot, sincerely. And how can I confirm my firmware? Should I just use Mr Spivs regardless of what iGP32 did to the card?

Just for you, I have installed Mr Spivs Multi Firmware on an NLU

If you do have it, test as follows:

Keep "Select" pressed as you power on.

This takes you to the main menu (if you do indeed have Mr Spivs Multi Firmware installed).

Then scroll down to "Pacrom" (press A), scroll down to "Tools" (press A).

Then you see the option to format.

Tell us what you find.

In addition to what Asteroid said, If you do indeed press select on power-up and nothing
happens, You still have the stock/original firmware installed on your GP32, And will
need to flash your firmware. As the stock firmware does not allow you to run homebrew
software.

There are a number of options for hacked firmware though, Slubmans, which has already
been mentioned, PacMan (vanilla) Same as the menu option in slubmans, But without slubman
and all it`s features, The original euro firmware, Which is the second (Blue) picture
i posted above, And quite a few others i can not remember off-hand.

The good thing with you (but is a problem with a lot of people who post here that are new
to the GP32) is that you have a usb transfer cable and a working connection for you GP32,
So flashing your firmware to allow homebrew will be a piece of cake.

EDIT: Found the basic guide by Drumaster to install the hacked FreeLauncher, With the link to the new location of the FreeLauncher file futher down the page in one of my posts.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/16419-free-launcher-free-to-encrypt-yourselves-here/

Now just need to locate a guide to flashing the GP32`s firmware (been such a long time), I`ll be back.

Trooper

How do I install firmware?

EDIT: Which way is the SMC supposed to go into the GP32? Top side (with gold) facing the screen or back of the unit?

We can worry about installing firmware, once you have the freelauncher in place.

The card is placed in the unit with the contacts facing you as you hold the unit, with the screen facing you. As the card goes in there is a clicking sound, with a little resistance. If you try the card the wrong way you will find definite physical resistance, like a dead stop.

Re: The SMC orientation, And just for future reference,
If you look at the SMC slot of the GP32 from the back
of the the unit, You should see a picture of an SMC card
engraved on the unit, Just above the slot, Showing you
which way round the card should be inserted.

Trooper

Asteroid said:
We can worry about installing firmware, once you have the freelauncher in place.

The card is placed in the unit with the contacts facing you as you hold the unit, with the screen facing you. As the card goes in there is a clicking sound, with a little resistance. If you try the card the wrong way you will find definite physical resistance, like a dead stop.

What do you mean by "have the free launcher in place"? I'm confused and haven't made any progress :( Still trying though!

EDIT: Just tried using SMC Formatter for GP32...still no luck...

AzureStarline said:
Asteroid said:

What do you mean by "have the free launcher in place"? I'm confused and haven't made any progress :( Still trying though!

EDIT: Just tried using SMC Formatter for GP32...still no luck...

Freelauncher: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp32.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1052

You need to install it before you can use any .fxe files on the original firmware.

Back