Giana''s Return Trailer

Kojote

Certified Guru
Staff member
Website
www.pdroms.de
The Gianas Return Team has posted the final and last video of their soon coming "The Great Giana Sisters" sequel. It is a two minute trailer video and really increases mood for more. The first release is planed for the GP2x console. GP32 might be a matter of CPU power. Wiz and Pandora versions are almost certain, along with other systems.

Video: http://www.gianas-return.de/?p=326

I'll probably get flamed for this, but...

Looks nice, although I'm not a big fan of the new music, although I think thats because I have and like the proper electric guitars and they sound very fakey in that music (I'm assuming the music is mod files'esque rather than mp3 based).

Last edited by a moderator:
'Squidge' said:
I'll probably get flamed for this, but...

Looks nice, although I'm not a big fan of the new music, although I think thats because I have and like the proper electric guitars and they sound very fakey in that music (I'm assuming the music is mod files'esque rather than mp3 based).
the trailermusic is from machinae supremacy and wont be part of the game ;) we just took it for illustration purpose as most of us like this "rock" version ;)

Mmh, I could've sworn I played a demo of it, like, three years ago!? :p Whatever happened to that version back then?

Many things seem to have been enhanced etc. since then. It certainly looks like a really, really good Jump n' Run!

Btw it's really ironic that the official sequel (for the NDS) is licensed by Nintendo.... :p

Still really looking forward to this one :)

I've been very patient and it looks like I'm about to be highly rewarded.

It's not a flame against the game, but I just dont see many redeeming features about it. Maybe you could enlighten me?

Please don't tell me what threads I can or cannot post in. Thanks.

Giana Sisters was a classic on the c64 and Amiga and fondly remembered by many. The gameplay is a little different to the Mario games.

This is a homebrew unofficial sequel to that game and is more polished than most homebrew games for the gp2x. The authors have fun making it and the majority of us will have fun playing it. They made it in their own free time and dont charge anything for it (as far as I know).

Feel free to go emulate whatever game you want. I would rather play this new game than mario world for the one millionth time.

Actually I dont like Mario World and would rather play SMB3 if I was playing a mario game... or mario land on GB.

I love Giana Sisters, I still play the original to this date.
Looks like a well-polished platformer for sure. Loved the music in the now very old first three trailers, I like that old style.

I follow this progress very closely, checking the website every day.
Though I'm not really sure what platforms this will be released for, I know there will be one for GP2X. I know the PSP version won't get released. I know there was talk of a GBA release but I don't know if it's still being worked on. How about PC win/linux?

Anyway, great trailer. Game looks great, take your time to perfect it. :)
Oh, and the official DS game is great, a must-buy for any fan.

@ndbsolar: Well, I think the audience for gianas-return is pretty much aimed towards the older gamers out there who played and loved the original so much, which was a great game then and still is today, many of us even liked it better than the game it tried to copy. The level designs were pretty good, but what made it so fun was the fact that it had many secrets and warps all over the place. (sometimes you would just try to jump down a hole just to see if you would die or find a secret :p)
The game was hard to control (you didn't jump with a button and the gravity was a bit odd) and it made the game harder and more fun too. (harder = more fun when you finally make it ) And then the music which was really really good.

For the fans, a game with updated graphics and new music, almost 60 new levels from grasslands to snowy levels to caves and fire levels and cool bosses is more than enough, you don't have to change or add much new features, improving on the old stuff and making new levels is just as good for me. I know I will be satisfied once the game is out.

Well said Burbruee. I will try and give the NDS version a go soon as well. I like the way they nod to the official version in their youtube vid as well.

'Burbruee' said:
I follow this progress very closely, checking the website every day.
Though I'm not really sure what platforms this will be released for, I know there will be one for GP2X. I know the PSP version won't get released. I know there was talk of a GBA release but I don't know if it's still being worked on. How about PC win/linux?
due to respect of the commercial release we step away from picking up systems which are economical acitve. in other words, we stick with economical uninteresting or dead systems. otherwise me might get a problem and wont be tolerated. those guys at spellbound and bitfield made a commercial version so we don't want to spoil their work with our free version.

the gba version is still alive. widdy started to conduct a study if things would be possible and actually everything is very possible for gba. for now the gba version is on ice, till we have the final kickin' version. widdy will pick up the gba version as soon as possible then. we suppose gba to be dead enough so we wont get any troubles with a possible c&d letter. we do have an ubuntu version of giana working almost perfect just with minor glitches. we are still discussing within the team if we should make a win32/linux version public. time will tell :) for now we concentrate on the gp2x release and of course to get the last things done.

'ndbsolar' said:
I know you guys are gonna hate me for this, but why would I play this when I could be playing Mario world?
i dont't have a problem with mario either ;) everyone has his own choice, so ther eis no need to flame or hate :D

'Kojote' said:
The Gianas Return Team has posted the final and last video of their soon coming "The Great Giana Sisters" sequel. It is a two minute trailer video and really increases mood for more. The first release is planed for the GP2x console. GP32 might be a matter of CPU power. Wiz and Pandora versions are almost certain, along with other systems.

I am wondering if it will ever be released. It was supposed to be released at Christmas time and now they are saying labor is a problem. So I guess maybe next Christmas we will have it.

Chris

'christo930' said:
'Kojote' said:

I am wondering if it will ever be released. It was supposed to be released at Christmas time and now they are saying labor is a problem. So I guess maybe next Christmas we will have it.

Chris

I hope we are done sooner ;)

'ndbsolar' said:
I know you guys are gonna hate me for this, but why would I play this when I could be playing Mario world?
A little history of Mario and Giana. Back in 1987, most people could only afford to own one game system. In my case it was the C64. Nintendo had brought out Mario Brothers for the C64 and very good it was too. When Super Mario Brothers came out on the NES everyone was very excited and couldn't wait for SMB to be ported to their system. But then came the news SMB would be NES only. This was unheard of at the time and quite shocking.

There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. We couldn't buy another system, and we couldn't have Mario on the C64, damn Nintendo! Damn them! etc. (If this sounds immature, please remember I was only 10 at the time.)

Then some heroes called Rainbow Arts came along and rescued us all. Starting with the C64 but eventually moving to all other popular systems, Great Giana Sisters filled our need for a Mario type game, and let us stick up two fingers to Nintendo, who had let us down so badly. Perhaps Nintendo would have turned a blind eye to this except for two things. First Giana Sisters was actually excellent, perhaps better than a C64 port of SMB would have been. Second on the box was written "The Brothers are History". This expressed our feelings towards Nintendo, but must have drawn their anger. Nintendo's lawyers swooped in and removed Giana Sisters from the shelves. I was lucky enough to grab a copy before it was removed but many other were not so fortunate.

We felt like we had been robbed twice by Nintendo, and all so that we would be forced to buy an extra game console just to play one game. Suffice to say, I never bought the NES or any other Nintendo console until the Wii two years ago. And all because Nintendo had done such an awesome job of inserting themselves into the 'worst enemy' slot of my 10 year old brain.

I think I'm over it now though :D

'Kojote' said:

Nice work on the trailer (and the game of course)!

'Kojote' said:
'christo930' said:
'Kojote' said:

Chris

I hope we are done sooner ;)

I hope so too, the game does look really good. Just out of curiosity, why has the game been so delayed when you thought it was going to be released at Christmas only a few days before the release date? It's not like you were saying Christmas back in September, you were saying it on the 20th of December or something. Did some unexpected unknown bug get discovered or something?

Chris

Back