Ginge on Pandora to play Caanoo Games

sareks

Casual gamer
Hello I put the ginge.pnd on my pandora sd card and also some ginge games (unzipped) that I wanted to try.

I start ginge and then go on game / sd games to choose one of those I downloaded.

When I choose e. g. animatich.gpe with the B button it doesn't start and goes right back to the ginge menu.

I've also tried other games like cavestory.gpe (same result), xpiredcan.gpe (same result) and zelda sdx.gpe (quits back to pandora minimenu).

Why isn't it working?

Thanks for help

Last edited by a moderator:
I think GINGE only runs GPEs from GP2X and Wiz.

If you get those versions it should work.

GINGE was also released on CAANOO for the same purpose.
Thanks for the hint. So far I got to work:

- Cavestory

- Animatch

Most important games ;)

the others (Wiz / GP2X games) won't load, goes right back to ginge menu.

I also heard it doesn't necessarily run all of those games, at least a couple are better than nothing.

Share your experiences if you like, thanks again ppl

instead of the 320x240, the game is rendered larger at 400x240 then scalled2x up to 800x480. so completly fullscreen without any "strech" effect.

instead of the 320x240, the game is rendered larger at 400x240 then scalled2x up to 800x480. so completly fullscreen without any "strech" effect.
It is not fullscreen, there is a border left and right, any way to rescale the settings? In ginge, you can stretch it to fullscreen...

There is a "fullscreen option" press F3

The default is 640x480 which sounds like what you are seeing.
Thanks, didn't know about the menu. Now how to do I change the resolution? When I press a button to adjust it, the game just quits back to minimenu

Thanks, didn't know about the menu. Now how to do I change the resolution? When I press a button to adjust it, the game just quits back to minimenu
Yes, changing the resolution isnt possible wih that menu. but the sizing information I gave you earlier should be there as it's completly hardcoded (and also the reason why changing resolution make the game crash...)
Are you sure you're using nxengine.pnd ? I'm puzzled. try redownload and delete .../appdata/nxengine directory.

Yes, changing the resolution isnt possible wih that menu. but the sizing information I gave you earlier should be there as it's completly hardcoded (and also the reason why changing resolution make the game crash...)

Are you sure you're using nxengine.pnd ? I'm puzzled. try redownload and delete .../appdata/nxengine directory.
Ok this helps half way, now how DO I change the resolution without making the program crash. There is no point in having the option to change in the menu when it won't work at all, right?

Thanks again for your help, ppl

Ok this helps half way, now how DO I change the resolution without making the program crash. There is no point in having the option to change in the menu when I won't work at all, right?

I'm the nxengine maintainer. I wrote the scaling code, so I somewhat know how it works :)

Having black bar left and right isnt possible on any nxengine.pnd I did for pandora, so I'm very surprised with your result. Hence my question to make sure you're actually using my work...

EDIT : well you'll have black bar on the intro, menu and small rooms, else it will be widescreen (if the room size is wide enough)

Ok this helps half way, now how DO I change the resolution without making the program crash. There is no point in having the option to change in the menu when I won't work at all, right?

I'm the nxengine maintainer. I wrote the scaling code, so I somewhat know how it works :)

Having black bar left and right isnt possible on any nxengine.pnd I did for pandora, so I'm very surprised with your result. Hence my question to make sure you're actually using my work...
Oh, now I understand. First of all thanks for your work and help. I meant dark blue side lines. Is there a way to change the resolution manually through the config file or so?

Just play until you get into the fist cave. Then all will be revealed.

For GINGE?

SqDef if you want a nicetower defence game.

There's the games by Ruckage too..

Noizsa has different  music on the GP2X which I prefer

Payback if you bought it

Some of the scene demos run quite nice too.

There is a "fullscreen option" press F3

The default is 640x480 which sounds like what you are seeing.
If you press left instead of right, you can change the resolution, just select  fullscreen  :)

Back