Glest On The Panda

rabidpoobear said:
YES I WILL START ON THAT RIGHT AWAY THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME STUFF TO DO BECAUSE I DONT HAVE MY OWN PROJECTS ALREADY

thanks for the quote!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understood right, to compile a program for arm you must only download the code an compile it on an ARM device(with ARM libraries obviously)
so when the panda will arrive it'll be simple to port glest, won't it?

wiimario said:
If I understood right, to compile a program for arm you must only download the code an compile it on an ARM device(with ARM libraries obviously)
No.
You are correct, it is (usually) a simple matter to just recompile the code, assuming you have the ARM libraries. And that last part is the sticking point. Not all x86 libraries are available for ARM, or more specifically, for the Pandora.
We don't have an OpenGL library, for example. What TI has given us in the driver is OpenGL ES, a more compact version of OpenGL. Without this library (and it is hardware specific, there isn't some generic "openGL" code you can just compile) we can't* run anything that uses OpenGL. Anything that does use OpenGL needs at least a partial rewrite to use OpenGLES.

*note: tricks exist to get a fake OpenGL library that just translates everything to OpenGLES at run time, but it's not perfect and shouldn't be assumed to work.

WizardStan said:
wiimario said:
No.
You are correct, it is (usually) a simple matter to just recompile the code, assuming you have the ARM libraries. And that last part is the sticking point. Not all x86 libraries are available for ARM, or more specifically, for the Pandora.
We don't have an OpenGL library, for example. What TI has given us in the driver is OpenGL ES, a more compact version of OpenGL. Without this library (and it is hardware specific, there isn't some generic "openGL" code you can just compile) we can't* run anything that uses OpenGL. Anything that does use OpenGL needs at least a partial rewrite to use OpenGLES.

*note: tricks exist to get a fake OpenGL library that just translates everything to OpenGLES at run time, but it's not perfect and shouldn't be assumed to work.
:blush: :blush: Yeah I forgot that the panda is using OPENGLES, returning to the thread title,(in terms of power) will be possible?, with recoding I mean...

@OP, did you read up on the hundreds of other posts that mention glest?
http://tinyurl.com/yafqfuo
Surely someone mentioned whether they'd work on it?

Back