Gmu 0.6.1 Released

wejp

Website
wejp.k.vu
Gmu 0.6.1 released!

Release highlights:

* Improved GP2X-F200 compatibility: Backlight power-off now works on the F200 as well
* Improved recursive directory add: Gmu's user interface is no longer blocked while adding large directories
* Increased maximum playlist length from 999 entries to 9999 entries
* Seeking for Ogg Vorbis, Musepack (MPC) and FLAC

As usual, besides these changes there are some other minor changes and bugfixes.

gmu17.png

Great news! At last my favourite music player gets an update!

Regards,
Stephan

next version any chance of being able to change the song while the lights off? I use mine in my car as a replacement for my stolen car stereo and would be very nice to be able to change songs with out having to turn the backlight back on and change it.

Thanks for all your replies!

novaslogic said:
next version any chance of being able to change the song while the lights off? I use mine in my car as a replacement for my stolen car stereo and would be very nice to be able to change songs with out having to turn the backlight back on and change it.
Yes, this will most likely be possible in the next version of Gmu.
Until then you could configure Gmu such that it turns its backlight off after a short period of time (such as 15 seconds or so). That way Gmu still turns the backlight back on again on each manual track change, but does not keep it turned on for a long period of time and you don't have to bother turning it off manually each time.

starpause said:
awesome update, wejp rules!

love farbrausch too ;)
Yeah, they have made some really good demos and 64 k intros. FR-08 (.the.product) is still one of my favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woohoo.. Love GMU! :D

There's only one gripe I have with it, though, and that is the rather large 'volume steps' it makes at low sound levels. Often, I just can't find the 'right' volume setting that I want... (For the records: MK2 F-100)

Megagun said:
Woohoo.. Love GMU! :D

There's only one gripe I have with it, though, and that is the rather large 'volume steps' it makes at low sound levels. Often, I just can't find the 'right' volume setting that I want... (For the records: MK2 F-100)
It is rather difficult to find the optimum for the number of volume steps and the step distance that works well with different kinds of head phones, but I think adding a few more steps in the lower volume region should help. I will keep that in mind for the next release.

wejp said:
Thanks for all your replies!

novaslogic said:
Yes, this will most likely be possible in the next version of Gmu.
Until then you could configure Gmu such that it turns its backlight off after a short period of time (such as 15 seconds or so). That way Gmu still turns the backlight back on again on each manual track change, but does not keep it turned on for a long period of time and you don't have to bother turning it off manually each time.

Man that is exactly what I wanted, I didn't see that in the read me awhile back for some reason. Thank you. Now I don't need that feature because it was already technically in there.

Although I no longer use my GP2X for any media besides games, I'd say if you're going to be using your GP2X as a music player, Gmu is the best thing to use. Has all the features you would want, it's nice and simple, and looks great. Thanks for the update, wejp :)

morgushong said:
cool thanks. how hard would it be to add an equalizer?
That depends. In case I need to implement the whole equalizer myself (that means if there is no library that could be used for that), it would be a lot of work to do: Ignoring the user interface stuff (which is the easiest part in this case), I would need to do an FFT to transform the audio signal into the frequency domain, then do the filtering according to the equalizer settings and than do the inverse FFT. All of these parts need to be done with fixed point arithmetic. So even if there is a library that could do all that, it also would need to be able to do it without any floating point calculations.
I do not really like equalizers and other sound modifying features very much (not for technical reasons, but I prefer the sound to stay as it was meant to be), but as a few people have asked me about an equalizer I will do some research. Maybe there is a library available that can be used in an easy way. If that is not the case, I will not say I will never ever implement an equalizer, but it is very unlikely that it will happen in the near future.

Couple of bugs, some times it crashes when in low power mode, and in normal cpu mode some times the music plays faster then its supposed to.

novaslogic said:
Couple of bugs, some times it crashes when in low power mode, and in normal cpu mode some times the music plays faster then its supposed to.
Some more detail would be helpful. Which file format causes the crash? Can you reproduce the crash by playing the same file again? Which file format is played faster than it is supposed to and what was the sampling rate of that file? On which device are you using Gmu? F100 or F200?

Sometimes I noticed crashes at the start of Gmu in reduced power mode, too. I'm not quite sure if it's exactly the power option, but now I'm only reducing the speed with Gmenu2x without activating the option in Gmu and noticed no crashes so far. The device is a F-200.

Just one feature request, wejp. Gmu is near perfection for me. The only feature I'm really missing is any kind of lyrics support. Do you see any chance of adding this feature?

Regards,
Stephan

sbock said:
Sometimes I noticed crashes at the start of Gmu in reduced power mode, too. I'm not quite sure if it's exactly the power option, but now I'm only reducing the speed with Gmenu2x without activating the option in Gmu and noticed no crashes so far. The device is a F-200.
Interesting, maybe it has something to do with the F200. If those crashes happen at the start of Gmu it most likely has something to do with the reduction of the cpu speed. As I do not own a GP2X-F200 myself it is a little difficult to figure out what exactly causes those crashes, but I'll try to find out.

Just one feature request, wejp. Gmu is near perfection for me. The only feature I'm really missing is any kind of lyrics support. Do you see any chance of adding this feature?

Regards,
Stephan

Yes, lyrics support should be possible to implement. As I did not use lyrics in a media player yet I'm not sure which is the most common file format for that. I know it is possible to embed lyrics in ID3v2 tag. Another possibility would be to have the lyrics in a separate text file. It would be possible to support both, or maybe also something else.

Very nice to hear. I personally prefer the ID3v2 tag lyric solution, but .txt or .lrc is also OK.

I will try to investigate the reason of the crashes further when I find some time next week.

Regards,
Stephan

Thanks for the update !
I've got a dedicated SD card for Gmu and musics :D
I asking myself how much can I safely underclock my gp2x without trouble while reading flac or ogg vbr ? If anybody had already test that, please share your results !

Thanks again !

Back