Gngeo Rom Size

azurege

Website
Visit site
Is there a limit as to the size of the game that Gngeo will load, I have tried Sengoku3 and Metal Slug 3, I have used Dumpgfx to try to rip the graphics out of it but get an error that says "couldnt load sengoku3" I get the same error message with Mslug3 also.

The dump of the rom looks to be the latest, I dont have the facilities to rip the origional cartridge/MVS board and I dont want to set-up my console.

I am using the latest version of the emulator with the DRz80 core, the emulator puts out a black screen for 2 seconds then throws me back to the main screen of the Gp2x.

I do appologise if this has been answered before, I did browse through the forums but couldnt find anything on it.

Thanks in advance

Don’t know, But I've tried several other games myself such as King of Fighters 2k3 and other later games and get the same result. :blink: I think there’s a limit somewhere on what roms the dumper can read but I haven’t tried the newest version of gngeo which apparently dumps roms automatically, don’t know if in this version the emu can handle it by itself, but if it does it will take a VERY LONG TIME to dump it to the SD. If you have the very latest version and still nothing, then I don’t know what to think really, perhaps in the future the versions will handle the larger later games. :)

Zeon X posted on Mar 8 2006 at 05:02 PM said:
Didnt some1 say something like a 30mb limit on roms?
That's not a rom size limit. It more that the romrc file doen't contain a valid romset for some of the newer game, or gngeo don't support them yet. Newer rom support was not my priority, so it may work, or it may not work.

Last edited by a moderator:
pepone posted on Mar 8 2006 at 11:08 AM said:
Zeon X posted on Mar 8 2006 at 05:02 PM said:
Didnt some1 say something like a 30mb limit on roms?
That's not a rom size limit. It more that the romrc file doen't contain a valid romset for some of the newer game, or gngeo don't support them yet. Newer rom support was not my priority, so it may work, or it may not work.

Could a person add the needed data in the rc file to allow the newer games to work?

afaik the problem is the encryption used by newer games, so adding new data to the rc file won't help.

I'm having a similar problem. When loading large games such as SNK vs Capcom or Garou (which was listed as a working game at the gngeo wiki), gngeo doesn't even output an error message, it just immediately goes back to the GP2X main screen. Other smaller roms however do work :unsure: Anybody know what might be going on?

mrpham posted on Mar 9 2006 at 10:34 PM said:
I'm having a similar problem. When loading large games such as SNK vs Capcom or Garou (which was listed as a working game at the gngeo wiki), gngeo doesn't even output an error message, it just immediately goes back to the GP2X main screen. Other smaller roms however do work :unsure: Anybody know what might be going on?

The roms inside your .zip need to match those listed in the romrc file that comes with gngeo.

Open the romrc list and find garou motw, it will be listed twice as most games are, open your .zip archive and see if the contents match either of the two listings for it. If they don't rename the roms so they match, rezip your archive and try again.

Oh and make sure you keep a copy of your original .zip archive just in case.

If use the windows gfx dumping utility you get an error message if it can't open a .zip, afaik you don't get an error message when using the inbuilt utility.

It also only takes seconds using your pc to extract the gfx files and anywhere between 5 and 6 minutes to do it on your gp2x.

Back