GOG.com

I've written a small tutorial on how to fix Diablo HD/Belzebub in Linux.
https://www.gog.com/forum/diablo/solution_running_diablo_hdbelzebub_in_linux
It would be nice if someone could try that with GOG's package since I only have the CD version.

Belzebub.jpg

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Maybe this could have been something regarding the Blizzard recent money issues
That wasn't the first thing that came to mind but I can see it. When they were being smug about the mobile version of Diablo mobile I remember them being smug about Diablo one. When 3 came out someone asked if they would re-release the first one and the developer just acted like he was a idiot for asking such a retarded question. They also had the same smugness about releasing classic WoW also, same thing, try to make the fan asking the question sound like a moron. Now they're releasing classic WoW aren't they? Diablo 1 also.

I think Blizzard has just been knocked down a few pegs. They used to be something special back in the day but now they're just another company. I personally have more fond memories of playing the first Diablo than I do the others. Diablo was an amazing game, 2 and 3 just added things onto the concept.

EDIT: Man, just looking at the screenshots brings back memories. I'll wait until more Linux users have it and see how well this version runs on Wine before I get it. I remember the version I have had problems. . .

Last edited:
Blizzard was something special... until Activision bought them. :(
D2 was always my favorite, but I liked D1 as well.
WoW classic is supposed to be released end of 2019 or beginning of 2020.... so it's got a while.

Blizzard was indeed something special: their only games I've enjoyed were the ones they released as Silicon Synapses.

I'll wait until more Linux users have it and see how well this version runs on Wine before I get it. I remember the version I have had problems. . .
There are still problems, but aside from the menu it seems to work now according to this report:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_judas_does_this_run_in_wine_thread_v1173/post1775

I'm currently playing Diablo HD - Belzebub in Linux, am a rogue in area 6 and there was not a single problem so far after fixing the OpenAL thing, but that's an entirely different binary than the new one on GOG (although the old version is added as a bonus afaik).

After having played Hellfire, I can't stand anymore the original Diablo... it was a so great and needed expansion, and could be good if it goes to GOG too.

Anyway 8 € for Diablo seems a very high price to me, even if it is somehow "enhanced" a bit... I was expecting the lower GOG tier of 5 € at least.

Almost 20 years ago you were able to get it from a Magazine for less than 2 € (naturally this was including the price of the Magazine)...

But I have to underline it, the Blizzard at some point made the great choice to release patches for both removing DRM and giving the possibility to play without the CD, and continued to support it for many years... I still wonder why, with a so great user base, at some point it was somehow abandoned to the point it were even impossible to buy it anymore...

I'll wait for a sale, but I guess the high introduction price seems to work since people impulse buy it a lot out of pure joy that it arrived at all.
I still use my old GameStar version (magazine). What I'd really like to see would be with Hellfire and with a Linux port since there even is an official one they probably could use with a bit of negotiation.

I persoanlly was pleasantly surprised it was on sale for less than a tenner. Ten to fifteen pounds seems to be the going rate for half-finished indie titles entering early alpha, and this is a fully finished and even massively popular older game.

I persoanlly was pleasantly surprised it was on sale for less than a tenner. Ten to fifteen pounds seems to be the going rate for half-finished indie titles entering early alpha, and this is a fully finished and even massively popular older game.

If we do a comparison with similar "fully finished/high quality" titles, we can get "Torchlight" for 13€ and "Titan's Quest" (o even Torchlight 2) for 19€, and all of them could be easily defined superior to Diablo 2, so the first Diablo should at least be valued a third of their price.

If we do a comparison with similar "fully finished/high quality" titles, we can get "Torchlight" for 13€ and "Titan's Quest" (o even Torchlight 2) for 19€, and all of them could be easily defined superior to Diablo 2, so the first Diablo should at least be valued a third of their price.
It has been a while since I've seen someone quote non-sale prices.
Torchlight has been available for free in all places several times (including GOG) and Titan Quest was available between 2 and 4€ or something like that, I think.

It has been a while since I've seen someone quote non-sale prices.
Torchlight has been available for free in all places several times (including GOG) and Titan Quest was available between 2 and 4€ or something like that, I think.

Yeah, I know, I got "Titan's Quest" during a sale because it was incredibly cheap... and I wasn't really expecting a so massive and well made game.

I used the full prices because I still can't compare sale prices for Diablo :p

Who says Diablo will ever go on sale?
Most games get a discount when they are added to the shop, like Bioshock 1 and 2 were just 5€ each (remastered and classic version together in both cases).
Then there are games that never go on sale, could be we got another one of those here.

Last edited:
That's probably because they need to make a splash with them. That this is the first release from blizzard on gog is probably a big enough splash they didn't need to discount it straight away.

I suspect also those magazine releases only had the oringinal dos/windows game, and given this also includes the linux release that must be worth something. You could argue it's not worth the difference after converting those magazine prices to today's money, but that's up to you. If this never goes on sale then I guess nobody's lost anything though.

Edit: Got the name of the developer wrong.

and given this also includes the linux release

Is it so ? In the store page I just see "Windows 7 / 8.1 / 10" listed

Anyway WINE or DOSBOX are more then enough to run even the oldest original versions

EDIT:
this thread seems interesting
https://www.gog.com/forum/diablo/disappointed/page1

also, seems like it is not exactly well polished too, and will require more patches
https://www.gog.com/forum/diablo/in_battle_net_i_am_a_level_1_warrior

Damn, seems like it also has mouse issues too... this release has a lot problems by now

Last edited:
given this also includes the linux release that must be worth something
No, how did you get that idea? The Linux port is entirely unofficial and reverse engineered, also hasn't been updated in a long time.
GOG only sells it for Windows.
All they did was fix the ddraw to make it playable on current Windows, which in turn creates problems with WINE actually from what I've heard, which doesn't matter if you use the (bundled) unfixed version or the Belzebub mod though.

Hmm yes, I've just reread your post currently at the top of the page. My mistake. That's quite some inflation rate, between some 2eur magazine I guess printed in the late 90s and today, unless you really value the new version then.

Back