GOG.com

To backup your offline installers just use LGOGDownloader, it's only for Linux but it's what you need to do the job. It can get even the extras, and you can launch it also just to keep updated the stuff you already got. Just have a look at the command-line parameters and you'll see how powerful it is.
Thank you so much for that hint.
All I have ever heard of is gogrepo(c).py which does not work for me as it tells me there is a cpatcha required.
I will try out LGOGDownloader.

Linux is no problem :)

Ooooh !! That seems cute !!
I'll try it, but from the FAQ is not explained very well how much developed are grouping or tag management... this is a thing that I use a lot.

EDIT:
There's also a portable version !! ***head explodes***

EDIT 2:
it's not exactly "portable" as I intend it, it uses user folders to put stuff in

EDIT 3:
For now it's a "NO"... but it's promising... and maybe could be an alternative for the Epic Client

Things I don't like:
- Slow when browsing the Library, sometimes it must refill all the thumbnails when I go back in the list, and some of them will stay broken... it is the same major issue I have with Epic Client (but the latter is still way more slow)
- I miss the aggregation that Galaxy does when the same game is present in different stores, here I can see too many "duplicates" (unless I filter for store).
- There is no grouping or tag management at all... you can only tag as HIDE or FAVOURITE
- It doesn't get game times from the accounts
- After adding manually a game external to the stores, to remove the entry you must choose "Uninstall", even if it doesn't actually uninstall the game but just removes the entry
- I can't find a way to mass add already installed games

Things I like:
- All the GOG and Epic libraries were imported without issues, there are some games without cover but only because there are different versions of the same game.
- Games can be selected by arrow keys, and by extension the interface can be used with a controller
- The browser is better than all the other store clients I have seen so far, and it's cool to have a direct link to the main store pages
- There's a direct link to its documentation wiki
- When adding a game external to the stores, just writing the title will show a good thumbnail for the game

Last edited:
Ooooh !! That seems cute !!
I'll try it, but from the FAQ is not explained very well how much developed are grouping or tag management... this is a thing that I use a lot.
I do not use those features.
If GOG Galaxy does not run under Linux, this might be the best thing out there.
Especially as it supports easy proton/wine install handling and cloud saves which I consider quite important

My point of view is mainly about Windows, I gave up playing on Linux many years ago, so I can't judge functionalities like wine support or things like those.
Anyway at the first start it downloaded and asked to install the direct-x, both 64bit and 32bit, and that was cool.

Because it is the usual "Day of FREE games" on Epic Store, and every time I open the Epic Client it's a pain, I tried to use Heroic Games Launcher for this task...
It required a lot of time to start, still a lot less than the Epic Client, but adding the games was super fast, the browser is ten times faster than the one on the Epic Client.
After the checkout I had to manually sync the library, but after 3 seconds I had the new games in the list.

I also noted something very cool, the Heroic Games Launcher not only has the games in the library, but also the EXTRAS of the Epic Store !!
This is a functionality that GOG Galaxy doesn't have, despite the fact that the Epic integration is official... (and is not even able to put Epic games in the "Recently played" list...)

So, Heroic Games Launcher can be definitely a better substitute for the Epic Client !!

My point of view is mainly about Windows
I mainly play on Windows when I play on a PC, but every time there is a good reason to switch between Linux and Windows. Linux can just be a hassle to get up and running, and that can cost a lot of time. And games don't always work like on Windows.
Yesterday I was trying to get Steam onto a laptop (not mine) and it's running Win11, and I got so frustrated by all the online-account requirements (including it's passwords, verification and automatically leaving it's screen after asking to do so having to start from scratch).
The SteamDeck runs Linux but it also didn't work for me once due to the account part (some outage or broken config file), and it's really a hassle if that happens. I just want to play a game, not having to jump through hoops to satisfy some online part for all the off-line gaming I do. That's the whole reason I use GOG in the first place. If everything goes down, and my PC is still running: I want to be able to play the games I paid for. The Nintendo Switch works fine to, all the games I have are physical (and most are also fully on the cartridge).

Especially as it supports easy proton/wine install handling and cloud saves which I consider quite important
I wanted to test Cloud Saves on Heroic Games Launcher, but, at least for GOG them seems not working.. I tried with different games that have them active on Galaxy, but I had always the same result:
Sync Saves: Unsupported

As a side note anyway, it warned about an update for a game that Galaxy is still not showing... I'll wait a bit to see if Galaxy still didn't checked (manual check reports nothing new), or if Heroic Games Launcher is drunk

EDIT:
I found a game of the Epic Store that has:
Sync Saves: Disabled
just because I actually disabled it from the main client, but the other games are still "Unsupported" even if the cloud saves works for them on the Epic Client

EDIT 2:
About the game update, Heroic Games Launcher is wrong... I checked on www.gogdb.org and there is actually a newer version, but only for Apple, the Windows version is already at the last version...
I wonder what could happen if I click the "UPDATE" button... but I'm still playing it, so I prefer not to break the installation...

Last edited:
At GOG they are trying strange new ways to sell stuff... yesterday I went to the site to have a look around, and I had a quick look at the pages of 2 random games, just because the images were too small in the thumbnail and I was curious.

After 2 hours, arrived an email from GOG titled something like "A discount for your favorite games", and was listing exactly, and only those two games...

The facts are these:
- I didn't wishlisted them
- They were of a type I never had in my library
- The cookies on the browser are removed at every launch (and I wasn't using Galaxy, but a normal Browser)
- But, I was logged into my account

So, seems to me they are actually starting to monitor all the pages clicked by the users to generate offers.

I can understand mails with offers for wishlisted things, but I feel like they are starting to overdo something.

At GOG they are trying strange new ways to sell stuff... yesterday I went to the site to have a look around, and I had a quick look at the pages of 2 random games, just because the images were too small in the thumbnail and I was curious.

After 2 hours, arrived an email from GOG titled something like "A discount for your favorite games", and was listing exactly, and only those two games...

The facts are these:
- The cookies on the browser are removed at every launch (and I wasn't using Galaxy, but a normal Browser)

So, seems to me they are actually starting to monitor all the pages clicked by the users to generate offers.

I can understand mails with offers for wishlisted things, but I feel like they are starting to overdo something.
Sounds like many shopping sites showing you the 'last viewed' items. But true, it feels like they are watching you like they always do but this presses your nose onto that fact.

The facts are these:

It is sad, that GOG Galaxy updates are almost exclusively marketing and sales updates.
There are so many QoL features which people are asking for and they do not implement for quite a while now.

It is sad, that GOG Galaxy updates are almost exclusively marketing and sales updates.
There are so many QoL features which people are asking for and they do not implement for quite a while now.
I can't understand why they put so much time on that "Discovery" page... it is absolutely useless for me, there are already two ways to scroll the catalogue, the main site and the filtered one, and both are accessible by a normal browser, but they are introducing an additional way to browse for games, that not only has less functions than the others, but that works only on Galaxy, so it is a Store page that only GOG users will be able to see !!

Still despite all the lacks, Galaxy became my preferred launcher... it has a way to show the games that I find it clear, and when i added to it all the other stores I have I actually discovered games i didn't even knew to have in one of my libraries...

For example "itch.io" has a cool client, with a cool optional tabbed browsing experience, but the way the library show the games don't attract me very much and I was never so willing to check it... on Galaxy the list is so clear that I was like "WTF !! Where is coming from all this good stuff ?!" (Unluckily anyway the integration is able only to list the games, and not installing/launching them... but at least I can tag them so to keep in mind that I have those on that account)

"indiegala" has a not so bad client (but is ten times better than their site), and has a native section just for adding free games, but still the library view is not enchanting, so it is cool to have that list on Galaxy too... there are anyway the same limits of itch.io, games can't be installed/launched from Galaxy

I have "Ubisoft Connect" just because adding some free games... that I never play, because I never open that client unless there's a free game around to be added... but now with Galaxy, I installed a game that I didn't see it was from that account, and I'm playing it without dealing with that client.

Then the two big of the market, Steam and Epic, those two with hundreds of games and different way to manage them, both with very slow clients, and while Steam in the years ha implemented a somehow practical way to manage games with categories and filters, I don't like how the library is shown... for Epic instead the library is so slow that unless you already know what to filter, it is a pain to scroll... for these two, Galaxy is AWESOME, not only merged duplicate games in a single entry, adding automatically TAGs like "Completed" to games that I already played on another store, but I can just launch them without dealing with those two clients, and especially with Epic, when launched this way is a lot faster then when the interface is visible.

Some weeks ago GOG released a broken update for Galaxy, that not only for most gave errors during the install process, creating a situation of partial installation and re-trying constantly to update again, but also introduced different bugs, like the impossibility to scroll the present tags, or issues with the overlays of The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk...

Seems like they didn't even stopped that update after the hell broke loose on the forums, and now there are a lot o people asking how to rollback to the previous version...

Some weeks ago GOG released a broken update for Galaxy, that not only for most gave errors during the install process, creating a situation of partial installation and re-trying constantly to update again, but also introduced different bugs, like the impossibility to scroll the present tags, or issues with the overlays of The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk...

Seems like they didn't even stopped that update after the hell broke loose on the forums, and now there are a lot o people asking how to rollback to the previous version...
Oh, it wasn't only me then who had that bug. Good to know

The only thing that was told by the staff was to download the updater manually from the site, it worked for me, but only by ignoring an error that, as far as I know, everyone gets, that tells that some required components are missing...

So... a new Galaxy update notification appeared on the client, telling on the changelog that it was the fix for the previous broken patch... so I launched it... just to be greeted at the restart with this:

"There was a problem with updating the application"

I already imagine the flames on their forum.

EDIT:

I tried as the last time with the WebInstaller, but the results were different... this time, not only I got an error for missing components, but also a crash during update... at least the client "seems" working and at the last version.

EDIT 2:

This forum thread made me laugh:

"Galaxy update that fixes the "can't update problem" can't update."

Last edited:
I have a very bad news for a GOG game in particular:
Starship Troopers: Terran Command

They added an awesome Editor to the game, that could potentially transform it from an average game to a superb thing, BUT all the MODs that could make this great change are in the Steam Workshop, and are (at least for now) only downloadable from the Steam version of the game (the MODs require a "subscription" from a Steam account that owns the actual game there).

Sites like moddb or nexus mods are almost not used anymore to store the MODs, and those sites contains like 20 little modifications in total, while Steam already has more then hundred MODs containing new campaigns, very complex and game-changing maps, and also a (in development) recreation of the Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy maps... and all those things will be lost for GOG users, like tears in rain...

There is another game with Steam Workshop support that instead doesn't have this issue, Megaquarium.
While the GOG version of the game don't have a Steam Workshop integration, its MODs can be freely downloaded from Steam as an anonymous user, using SteamCMD, so to have them available even for GOG users.

I hope that at some point there will be a solution for this...

Back