Going To Usa - Customs

b._.o._.b

Hi,

I will go to the US and was wondering how firm the custom rules are applied leaving US again. Will probably do some shopping there and the amount I can spend duty free is probably not enough and adding 20% to a bill will ruin the savings.

Primarily planning on buying some clothing there (denim, shoes etc). I was wondering, how will they know I didn't buy the clothing in my own country?

Someone had recent experience with it? Any advice?

Thanks!

as far as i remember, they only ask you about stuff youre not supposed to import, unless you do it on a huge scale, im talking stuff like plants/seeds/alcohol, theyre not gonna tax you on clothes you buy here as they have no proof where you bought it, same goes for electronics, whos to say you didnt have them before

DaMummy said:
as far as i remember, they only ask you about stuff youre not supposed to import, unless you do it on a huge scale, im talking stuff like plants/seeds/alcohol, theyre not gonna tax you on clothes you buy here as they have no proof where you bought it, same goes for electronics, whos to say you didnt have them before

Well if you are following the exact rules every product you buy above a certain amount of money should be paid extra tax for. So going to the US and buying an expensive laptop should cost you an extra 20%.
I will go to the US with a laptop, and I think I will take a receipt with me to prove it isn't bought in the US. Clothing I will not take a lot with me, and will buy some. Should be a lot cheaper than in EU and indeed who says I didn't have them before...

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know customs in a country only cares about what you're bringing in to that country. So it would depend on what country you're from. I'm from the Netherlands and although the official rules are pretty strict I've never had any problems or checks. I regularly visit Canada traveling with my laptop and I bought clothes there and a DS, I also went on a crazy CD buying spree in Japan once.

If you're used to the friendly European border officers asking nothing more than "pleasure or business" the whole customs and immigration circus coming in to North America might be kind of shocking though. I know it was to me, not a very warm welcome.

But yeah, clothes are what they expect to see in someone's luggage so that's not gonna be a problem for sure, even if you get searched :lol:

hisaki said:
As far as I know customs in a country only cares about what you're bringing in to that country. So it would depend on what country you're from. I'm from the Netherlands and although the official rules are pretty strict I've never had any problems or checks. I regularly visit Canada traveling with my laptop and I bought clothes there and a DS, I also went on a crazy CD buying spree in Japan once.

If you're used to the friendly European border officers asking nothing more than "pleasure or business" the whole customs and immigration circus coming in to North America might be kind of shocking though. I know it was to me, not a very warm welcome.

But yeah, clothes are what they expect to see in someone's luggage so that's not gonna be a problem for sure, even if you get searched :lol:

Thx, good to read some detailed experience. I don't think I will run into issues then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I live in Canada, and my family sometimes goes to the US for groceries (they leave me behind, lol. I don't care, I'm not fond of long trips). They've brought back things like boxes of cereal (once they brought back about 20), misc. lunch items, shirts, and stuff like that. They won't let you carry over fruit, vegetables, or meat because of the possibility of disease spreading (at least the last time I crossed the boarder). You should be prety safe bringing back non-food items. As for laptops, a friend of mine bought a laptop in Oregon because the consumer tax or whatever was zero at the time, and I don't think he had to pay anything to bring it back to Canada. I've never been questioned about anything like that. I haven't traveled in a few years, though.

I've even brought back a Nintendo DS flash cart once.

I would advise that you do not carry back any original packaging and receipts if you are going to buy electronics. For clothes I think it shouldn't be a problem. When I was visiting SF I bought loads of sweaters, denim and shirts. No trouble at all. I know a bunch of people who go on shopping trips to new york about once a year. I think if you were to buy like 100 levis pants to re-sell them later you might get in trouble. Otherwise you are pretty much on the safe side.

Back