Good films that are actually bad

Dark knight rising was really bad (I am not a fan of Nolan's movies anyway, and I don't like his take to make Batman more "realistic" it does not fit with the spirit of the comics at all.
I totally agree. I've not enjoyed ANY of the new Batman films (TBH though, the last set weren't great after Batman Returns, which is my fave). I've tried to like them, but I can't.

LOTR part 2 was one of the worst ones... maybe even more so than the third one. It had nothing to do whatsoever with the book, and characters were just a trasversty of the original ones.
Have you read the books recently? (I've read all three again this year) LOTR 2 is actually pretty close to the book - more so than 3. Sure, there are some changes and lots missing, but it's pretty accurate on the whole. Speaking of LOTR 3, book 5 (section 1 of book 3) reads as though it's actually written by someone other than JRR - the whole book has prose and speech that don't read like those in the other 5 parts. It's really weird.

Donnie Darko was entertaining, if anything. Obviously there's not story at all, though.
I never understood that film at all. It was just a pointless waste of an hour and a half and 2 ounces of plastic for the DVD to me :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter Jackson's King Kong.

When computer animation was starting to evolve, say the late 80s onward, there was a tendency to not have a static 'camera' and lots of animations unecessarily became 'flythroughs' simply because they could. It wasn't enough to have nice visuals, it became routine for a restless viewpoint to over-use all the 3D objects in view.

Watching King Kong is like a flashback to all those hyperactive animations, all swooping circling viewpoints, switching from one moving camera to another, rotating around characters to show 'look! we modelled every angle!' needlessly. I just keep finding the constant motion of the camerawork is a bit of a throwback, it actually serves to constantly highlight the fact you're looking at CGI rather than allowing it to blend seamlessly. He's guilty of a bit of it in the LOTR trilogy too, but not nearly to the same degree.

Oh, and I love Donnie Darko! It's totally explicable - there are a few 'Donnie Darko explained' sites out there, the Director's Cut also takes a bit of the mystery out of it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
After watching Donnie Darko like 4 or 5 times I settled with it being a mystery love movie without all that girly shit that makes men flee in fear.

LOTR part 2 was one of the worst ones... maybe even more so than the third one. It had nothing to do whatsoever with the book, and characters were just a trasversty of the original ones.
Have you read the books recently? (I've read all three again this year) LOTR 2 is actually pretty close to the book - more so than 3. Sure, there are some changes and lots missing, but it's pretty accurate on the whole. Speaking of LOTR 3, book 5 (section 1 of book 3) reads as though it's actually written by someone other than JRR - the whole book has prose and speech that don't read like those in the other 5 parts. It's really weird.

I read the book again about 2 years ago. I dont want to make the thread about LOTR, but LOTR2 is bad in many, many ways. First Frodo is not supposed to go to Osgiliath, then he is not supposed to be seen by a Nazgul either, then he is not supposed to fall in the dead marshes and be rescued by Gollum, and Faramir is not supposed to be the same dick as Boromir (they should be completely different characters!). Then Theoden is not controlled like a remote puppet, he has been "charmed" by Saruman, which is a totally different thing. Obviously Peter Jackson has a very hard time with subtle words... Wormtongue is also made to look evil which was not at all like in the book. On the contrary, he is rather a cunning person, but Peter Jackson decided to go for stereotypes (why not put horns on him while you are at it!). And Sam never said that we should save Middle Earth because "there is still some good in the world", that's just pathetic Hollywoodesque morale. Tolkien would NEVER have written such a stupid line. We have to thank Philippa Boyens for that.

Regarding the third episode, the movie was doomed in my eyes when Gandalf pushed Merry when he is bowing and asking to be in the service of the Stewart. That's a key moment in the book where we see Merry becoming a "man" and Peter Jackson decided to make him look ridiculous instead. Bastard!

Oh, and I love Donnie Darko! It's totally explicable - there are a few 'Donnie Darko explained' sites out there, the Director's Cut also takes a bit of the mystery out of it ;)

AH yeah ? I read many of them but I never found a site that explained everything rationally (always holes in the plot anyway)

Nobody can rival the manliness of Charles Bronson. Chato's Land: Bronson looking ripped to the max at 50+. This guy eats Arnolds, Sylvesters and Chucks for breakfast.

The Mechanic

It was just stupid .
Which one ? ^^
Jason Statham . Never knew their was another one .
^^^^^Jason statham or christian bale.

There's the 1972 The Mechanic with Charles Bronson and the 2011 remake of it with Jason Statham.

(Christian Bale wasn't in either of them, he was in The Machinist)

Not much of a movie watcher - I read , read magazines , Post on this Forum , and how can I forget Gaming ! :)

Back