Bad films that are actually good

Omg pacific rim was not even a good bad movie, it was just plain awful all the way. I had to resist the urge of leaving half way thru the movie. And whats with the stupid japan reference and the fugly japanese actress they chose. This movie has puke written all over it.

Howard the duck

That VHS tape is still in the attic though I no longer own a VCR :wub: .

They cut jokes out of the DVD :angry: .

Whenever people told me it's complete and utter crap those comments simply did not register in my brain...

I must have been nearing 30, when I finally realized, watching it with my wife: "Whoa, this is a piece of junk, isn't it... but I still love it!"

Willow, The last starfighter, though I'm not sure whether they were liked or disliked by critics

Many others in the scifi genre, that were just So Cool when you were a kid.

There was also this one animated movie... hmm... Legend of Orin or something?

(

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starchaser:_The_Legend_of_Orin

And hey: "The film has since gained a small cult status"!

Well I'll be...

)

Last edited by a moderator:
Omg pacific rim was not even a good bad movie, it was just plain awful all the way.
Sorry to hear that, how did you like Prometheus btw. (in case you have seen it).
My opinion on Prometheus, since it's one of the few newer movies I've seen and do have an opinion of:

As a huge Alien fan it was one of the few "adult" films I've actually gone to the cinema to see (i.e. went to see alone, without any family members) within the last 10 or so years. So, I had high hopes. And in a way it was bound to be a disappointment some way.

I generally don't mind plot holes (whether "science class"-level or just plain narrative) if they aren't too annoying during the movie. Actually they're something nice to think about after the movie. However, illogical character behaviour really disturbs me during a movie and this one would have failed even in that respect.

Unfortunately the effects did not keep my brain from operating even during the movie and it's never a good sign when your first thought when the credits start rolling is: "I gotta go and see on the web how much silliness others have noticed from this film.".

I wish this movie was made when I was a kid. I wouldn't have minded. I'd just have swallowed worm, hook and all... I'm still stupid, but not as stupid as when I was as a kid :rolleyes: .

It did make me change my mind of one thing though: I really hope Scott does not revisit BladeRunner, ever. He did well with the later editions, he should leave it at that. Unofficially prequeling Alien I could live with, but touching BR even remotely would be blasphemy to me :p .

It did make me change my mind of one thing though: I really hope Scott does not revisit BladeRunner, ever. He did well with the later editions, he should leave it at that. Unofficially prequeling Alien I could live with, but touching BR even remotely would be blasphemy to me :p .
How could Blade Runner get any worse?

The book is one of my favourites and he managed to eliminate everything that it's about and make it into a bad sci-fi action movie.

...loved Alien though.

How could Blade Runner get any worse?

The book is one of my favourites and he managed to eliminate everything that it's about and make it into a bad sci-fi action movie.

...loved Alien though.
Getting it worse is easy: More action. Upping plot holes to adhere to modern standards (say cheese!), possibly to give more room for action. Less dialogue and more CGI action. And finally replace Vangelis' beautiful soundtrack with some orchestral woohooboohoo-music from someone like Streitenfeld whom Scott collaborates with these days... and of course, make room in the soundtrack for all the flashy CGI explosions from all the added action. All you need after that is take out most of the plot elements so you can have slow motion closeups of the great explosions during the great added action.

Do androids dream of electric sheep is something I had not read when I watched BR the first time. And the funny thing is, when I read it, it took me a while to realize it is what BR was based on :rolleyes: . Excellent book, though, I agree.

I'm really dreading the upcoming Ender's game movie <_< .

But I understand what you mean. I still remember the look my wife gave me, when I declared "I'll hates them forever" after watching Lord of the rings, only because they took out Tom Bombadil (and added too much action of the wrong sort to my tastes ;) ).

But I understand what you mean. I still remember the look my wife gave me, when I declared "I'll hates them forever" after watching Lord of the rings, only because they took out Tom Bombadil (and added too much action of the wrong sort to my tastes ;) ).
Now that you mention it, the Lord of the Rings fits excellent in this thread!

Since they are from Peter Jackson and he does not know Jack about literature or art,

they are ALL bad movies, but nearly everyone else than the director did a stunning job, even the blacksmith.

What makes the movies unbearable for me though, is the latent woodewoo damdamdam soundtrack, where they left absolutely no room for SILENCE, not even in Moria!

It destroys all the tension.

The illogical plot elements between the second and the third movie seem to be neccessary nowadays, so he could not just leave it logical like it was in the books.

I'll never understand, how someone could give Peter Jackson (he always was trash movie director, look at his filmography before lotr!) money for such an epic project.

The Hobbit is not even a good bad movie, I've seen it in cinema and everything about it was crap.

Now that you mention it, the Lord of the Rings fits excellent in this thread!

I'll never understand, how someone could give Peter Jackson (he always was trash movie director, look at his filmography before lotr!) money for such an epic project.

The Hobbit is not even a good bad movie, I've seen it in cinema and everything about it was crap.
Jackson either doesn't understand or cannot capture on film the "spirit" of Tolkiens' works. You used the word silence and that's exactly what the films would need.

I just never saw Tolkien's work as a basis for Orc splatting. He should have used something like Hickmann & Weis for that. Readily adaptable.

Tolkien was supposed to be "grand" and "dignified", not "spectacular with cheap tricks".

But this is very much the same as BR: I teach kids who haven't read the books and they adore the movies. Some have read the books after the movies and now find them utterly boring.

Another recent disappointment (though of a completely different type and due to totally different circumstances) was Alice. Until details of the movie came out, I thought it would be based on McGee's Alice game, which had some artsy aspects in it that I kind of liked. Then I heard it's going to be Disney and Burton. Rented it just in case... what a waste of 3 euros and what a lost opportunity. I'd still love to see what El Toro would have come up with :lol: .

Peter Jackson. Dont get me started on this. The whole LOTR trilogy was just garbage for 3 years old and they even ade a scoobidoo happy end not to shock the Walt Disney Crowd.

The hobbit was even worse (who could have imagined!) Even though it was such a straight book to adapt. And 3 movies? For the love of money, certainly.

I've always found playing 'The Hobbit' on the ZX Spectrum was much closer an experience to the books than the films.

Jackson is also obsessed with relentless swooping and diving fly-through shots of his CGI scenes (see also: King Kong) instead of being satisfied with static or even tracking shots. The effect is often like watching one of those late 80s computer animation demos, where the 'camera' viewpoint is always flying around, just because it can.

For me at least, it has the effect of 'compressing' space, making huge locations suddenly seem small when you have just zipped all around them in mere moments.

It's amazing that the 1977 animated version of The Hobbit  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077687/ was done in just one film and is more closely tied to the book than the current Peter Jackson trilogy. Admittedly some parts of the book were cut, but on the whole it's pretty faithful to the original story. And it doesn't have the awful Radagast The Brown crap in it.

has anyone mentioned Ninja Thunderbolt yet? or Godmonster of Indian Flats? Machine Girl? Iron Sky? these films are all pretty bad and pretty good

Omg pacific rim was not even a good bad movie, it was just plain awful all the way. I had to resist the urge of leaving half way thru the movie. And whats with the stupid japan reference and the fugly japanese actress they chose. This movie has puke written all over it.
Then I guess Animes like "Neon Genesis Evangelion" are nothing for you. ;)

Pacific Rim could be a big hit in Japan imho, it's like it's made for Anime and mecha Fans, I always wonder why Japan doesn't make such Live Action Movies by itself.

Then I guess Animes like "Neon Genesis Evangelion" are nothing for you. ;)

Pacific Rim could be a big hit in Japan imho, it's like it's made for Anime and mecha Fans, I always wonder why Japan doesn't make such Live Action Movies by itself.
:eek: How could you compare NGE to one of these modern american hollywood adaptions?

I'm shocked. Neon Genesis Evangelion (the old series, not the new compressed OVAs), was absolutely great regarding the story,

tension, charakter development, hidden drama, etc... but you have to watch the whole series from beginning to the end in a short timespan

(3-4 days is good) to capture the whole story the way it is meant.

I've seen it with my half japanese ex many years ago and although I've seen many good series by now, I still think it is quite good.

Because it costs tons of money ?
That's Hollywood, they usualy make such Movies much more expencive than it should be, I'm sure if you don't spent gazillions to pay the megastars and be more creative and find cheaper locations/companies/catering etc. there can be great live Action Movies that don't cost that much. "District 9" costed afaik ~$30Millions, pretty cheap for the visual experience. :)

I've not seen the japanese Live Action "Battleship Yamato" Movie yet but from pix and trailers it also seems to be an decent made movie.

:eek: How could you compare NGE to one of these modern american hollywood adaptions?

I'm shocked. Neon Genesis Evangelion (the old series, not the new compressed OVAs), was absolutely great regarding the story,

tension, charakter development, hidden drama, etc... but you have to watch the whole series from beginning to the end in a short timespan

(3-4 days is good) to capture the whole story the way it is meant.

I've seen it with my half japanese ex many years ago and although I've seen many good series by now, I still think it is quite good.
I know, bad comparison. I've seen the original series and the new OAV's, that do a little better job in explaining what's actualy going on. The original Series had an very weird end, I found it just confusing and I guess I'm not the only one.

P.S.: you had an half japanese Girlfriend? I'm jealous. ^^

P.P.S.: I've seen COncept art for an Hollywood remake of NGE....ewww... let's hope they never make it. Or we have to deal with american pilots that are adult and no kids and the movie plays in USA of course...same for the upcoming AKIRA live action movie.  :wacko:

"District 9" costed afaik ~$30Millions
Even 30 millions of dollars is a lot in Japan, because they have nowhere near the size of the Hollywood industry.  

"Battleship Yamato" Movie yet but from pix and trailers it also seems to be an decent made movie.
It was certainly not very expensive to make. And it was a crappy movie, by the way.  

Back