Bad films that are actually good

Wolfen (1981) The wolf stalking down the stairs :unsure:
If you'd read the book you'd realize just how bad the film is in comparison. :(
I know what you mean. Read Phantoms by Dean Koontz then try to enjoy the movie version. -_-
I'm a real big Koontz fan. Phantoms wasn't too bad, at least it stayed pretty close to the story. If you want to see one of his books butchered beyond recognition then watch Watchers. That film was nothing like the book (one of my faves too). The Face Of Fear and Whispers were bad movies too (although tbh those books weren't his best). :(
I did see Watchers, regrettably.

Really love this thread so here's a few more:

Kolchak The Night Stalker (TV series and Movies from the early 70's)

The Dark (1979)

Cathy Lee Crosby and a police squad battle a monster in a parking lot. Surprisingly good.

The Manitou (1978)

Had decent special effects up to the ridiculous strobe light sequence near the end.

Phantasm (1979)

Last edited by a moderator:
Godzilla (US - 1998)
Yay, I'm not the only one who loved that movie! :lol:

I was really surprised by the reception it got, myself, having seen it before ever hearing of anyone else's views or reviews on it.

Most of the movie didn't bother me that much, but the helicopter scene was unforgivable. Apaches with star wars death star trench run computer displays, side mounted guns beside the cockpit window and shooting sidewinder missiles (air to air) at a giant ground target instead of using hellfires or hydras? WTF?

Most of the movie didn't bother me that much, but the helicopter scene was unforgivable. Apaches with star wars death star trench run computer displays, side mounted guns beside the cockpit window and shooting sidewinder missiles (air to air) at a giant ground target instead of using hellfires or hydras? WTF?
funny, that didn't bother me at all. What bothered me a lot, was that there was a helicopter chase ? WTF!! Why didn't they just gain height, instead of chasing through a city of buildings that clearly looked like cheap modeld ?

Maybe George Lucas should have made SW EP3 earlier ? Then they would have known that its always better to have the high ground (and no, the SW prequels aren't bad movies that are actually good, they are just bad (imho))

b2t:

Hudsen Hawk (1991)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKbZlcWzwGQ

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983) Good, cheesy fun with Peter Strauss.
Thanks for the hint on that one, I had a blast watching it yesterday :)

Again I am impressed by all the stuff they built. The locations are cool, the vehicles and I loved that they used actually flying hang gliders for the aerial badguys where the only effect was a smoke trail to simulate propulsion. Nice, nice.

True, the idea of helicopters flying below rooftop level in a city to chase a giant lizard is pretty stupid, as is the bit where the last helicopter was being chased and didn't try going up instead of outrunning godzilla.

Helicopters flying low through cities makes more sense in a movie like Blue Thunder (another movie that fits this thread).

The novelisation of Alien 3 (by Alan Dean Foster, awesome author) was pretty good. I didn't like the movie though.

I did like Alien Resurrection, but my favourites are still Alien and Aliens (the former for scifi horror, the latter for scifi action). I found the two Alien vs Predator movies completely forgettable.

Helicopters flying low through cities makes more sense in a movie like Blue Thunder (another movie that fits this thread).
Hard to tell wether it fits, I solely liked it because of the cool helicopter. Roy Scheider leads me to Powerplay (1990) not a great movie, but one of the few 80s Cold War Action flics where the russians actually do speak russian.

what about Final Countdown (1980) ?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vj7_fxZWDsc?feature=oembed

Edit: man this trailer sucks

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983) Good, cheesy fun with Peter Strauss.
Thanks for the hint on that one, I had a blast watching it yesterday :)
It's one of those hidden gems. Peter Strauss's apathetical character reminded me of Han Solo for the most part. :D

True, the idea of helicopters flying below rooftop level in a city to chase a giant lizard is pretty stupid, as is the bit where the last helicopter was being chased and didn't try going up instead of outrunning godzilla.
This Godzilla film wasn't all bad, but what I didn't care much for was the bumbling French characters. The little Godzillas were the best part of the film, but the forced comedy ruined the tone of the film for me.

A few more if you have time to burn:

The Puppet Masters (1994)

An underappreciated body snatcher type flick. Watch it for the poorly acted shower scene. Even Thomas Jane at the end of The Mist wasn't this bad. :blink:

Aberration (1997)

Voracious lizards dine on remote cabin residents. It's on Hulu right now and worth a watch.

Homebodies (1974)

Never evict the elderly from their home or this will happen to you.

Feast (2005)

The regular version not the juvenile unrated one. Steer clear of the sequels.

Demons (1985)

Trapped in a movie theater with hungry demons.

Night of the Demons (1988)

Memorable 80's horror.

Darkness Falls (2003)

Stay in the light.

Another film I watched recently that isn't a bad film at all is The Grey with Liam Neeson. Highly recommended.

Feast (2005)

The regular version not the juvenile unrated one. Steer clear of the sequels.

Demons (1985)

Trapped in a movie theater with hungry demons.

I guess I saw the unrated version of Feast, I can't imagine there being a more juvenile version. :)

Demons was cool. Bobby Rhodes kicks so much ass that they brought him back as another character for the sequel, where he continued to kick ass.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9lBnJW7h_ds?feature=oembed

NSFW

Shortbus - Many said that it was just an excuse for cheap thrills, but I loved every minute of it, as it was so quirky and true.

OT [A little bit of]:

Any of You tempted to write a short review of a forgotten and/or b-class movie for Inside The Box? If Yes, PM me.. :)

Bug [2006] -> this is a must-see for any thriller/horror fan. I watched it yesterday, and percentage of paranoia in this excellent movie is higher than in famous "the thing".

Take a look, who's director :)

poster_Bug2006.jpg

Battleship. Due to the negative reviews, it being based on a (fairly dull) board game and having Rhianna in it I was expecting it to be an absolute steaming pile. But it's not. It's not the greatest film ever, but it's pretty good. Well worth a watch.

If you liked 1st cube movie, taste Vincenzo Natali's "Elevated", and try last year's "Devil" movie.

Last year's Devil movie was a dud, imo. The ending was laughable.

I'll have a look at Elevated on the Queens b'day weekend. Cheers.

Also, Bug is shit. :p

Wait! I just read the plot on the Wiki and it sounds like crap!!! I think I might give it a miss.

Plot below.

Ben and Ellen use the elevator in their building when all of a sudden, Hank, the blood covered security man of the building rushes into the elevator, claiming that there is a dangerous

alien-like creature in the building.

I haven't seen Cube Zero yet, but Cube and Cube 2 are cool.

I spent almost all of Cube 2 trying to remember where I'd seen the psycho guy before. Then I realised he was Nicholas in Forever Knight. :)

Back