Bad films that are actually good

A Movie about life-sucking Alien Vampires from Space invading the Earth and turning Humans into Zombies sounds like a horrible and bad C-Movie? WRONG!  :D

Tobe Hoopers "Lifeforce" is a really good SciFi/Horror-Mix and if you've not seen it, do it!
I also liked it a lot when I was a teenager, but that probably was (at least partially) due to the fact the lead actress was quite attractive back then and even got some topless scenes :rolleyes:   (but you don't believe what you can find if you search for the movie title - beware)

Does it have good action scenes at least?
That heavily depends on your definition of good action scenes. I liked them, because they where rather small scaled - I just can't stand this never ending action scenes in "The avengers", "Transformers 1,2,3", "Battleship", "SW Episode 2,3", etc. that only provide eyecandy, but no tension at all.

That heavily depends on your definition of good action scenes. I liked them, because they where rather small scaled - I just can't stand this never ending action scenes in "The avengers", "Transformers 1,2,3", "Battleship", "SW Episode 2,3", etc. that only provide eyecandy, but no tension at all.
Good action scene:

- it has tension

- you don't know what is going to happen next

- there are surprises

- you care about the characters or the stuff fighting on screen

- it's like nothing you have seen before (for the best ones).

The avengers' actions scenes were incredibly boring, Transformers as well, SW 1,2,3 too.

One of my favorite movie (for action scenes but not only) is Aliens (the second one, since it has a 'S'.). Terminator 2 also comes to mind. 

So, anything like that?

The late 70's Disney Sci-Fi: The Black Hole, was never going to win any awards & afaik it's generally regarded pretty poorly.. but I always really enjoyed it & after watching it again recently find that I still do (+ it has two of the best ever movie robots imho.. V.I.N.C.E.N.T & Maximilian)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oz9WeLWauQQ?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have a soft spot for The Black Hole. It's pretty poor by todays standards, but the characters are all really well defined and each has a unique personality. It's total bunkum of course, but great fun. And I always loved the robots too.  :D

[EDIT] And the music is awesome too.

Good action scene:

- it has tension

- there are surprises

The avengers' actions scenes were incredibly boring, Transformers as well, SW 1,2,3 too.

One of my favorite movie (for action scenes but not only) is Aliens (the second one, since it has a 'S'.). Terminator 2 also comes to mind. 

So, anything like that?
Not really, there is some tension and you do somewhat care for the characters, but there aren't any suprises. I guess you will be somewhat disappointed

Good action scene:

- it has tension

- there are surprises

So, anything like that?
Not really, there is some tension and you do somewhat care for the characters, but there aren't any suprises. I guess you will be somewhat disappointed
Allright, still hesitating about going to see it or not..

Allright, still hesitating about going to see it or not..
I'd say, if you have some money left, why not give it shot - just keep your expectations low (but looking at my experience with "Aliens Vs. Predator", even then, it can be a complete disappointment).
Btw. do you know anything about how the movie is doing in Japan ?

+1 for The Black Hole. So the robots are a bit Daft Punk or Toy-ish, but it's got a brooding darkness about it, and the metaphysical ending is more satisfying watched as an adult than when it was presented as a children's film!

The premise and specifically the ending must have made an impression on others, it was pretty much the basis for Event Horizon too, which was more or less a more horror-oriented version of the same premise!

The Black Hole's Soundtrack is indeed excellent.

EDIT: I remember reading that a Black Hole remake was in the works, but that they were going to have a completely different conclusion, which I thought was a big mistake, if it happens.

Trivia: The opening titles had the longest ever Computer Graphics sequence, at the time. Vector graphics Black Hole. Looks a little underwhelming on the old DVD versions, nice and sharp on the HD release!

I too have a soft spot for The Black Hole. It's pretty poor by todays standards, but the characters are all really well defined and each has a unique personality. It's total bunkum of course, but great fun. And I always loved the robots too.  :D

[EDIT] And the music is awesome too.
Pretty dark movie for a Disney Production, I found it scary as a kid. Good special Effects and a cool Spaceship Design. It took years until there was another "spooky Spacehsip" Movie made: Event Horizon (badass!).

The Black Hole still gives me goosebumps, afaik it was the biggest physical Spaceship model ever made for an Movie:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LfmrHTdXgK4?feature=oembed

Back