Good Mp3 Player

Geuben said:
Rivus said:
Haha, I got a good chuckle out of the ranting about the F100 GP2X's sound quality... It sounds like it's on the same level with the DS's sound capabilities. And even that's not too bad so long as you don't crank up the dB percentage too high.
hehe, that made me chuckle. I'm not laughing at you or anything, I've just never seen someone refer to dB percentage before, it's somewhat odd.

Hah, perhaps my wording was a tad goofy. If you ever ran Moonshell on the DS, you'd probably know what I mean though. It has an option to turn the volume up to 4 times the norm, anything over 200% normally being too crackly-sounding to be enjoyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rivus said:
Hah, perhaps my wording was a tad goofy. If you ever ran Moonshell on the DS, you'd probably know what I mean though. It has an option to turn the volume up to 4 times the norm, anything over 200% normally being too crackly-sounding to be enjoyed.

I doubt Nintendo would overspec the audio amp (as they'd want to keep costs down) and they would have likely designed the DS's slider to make maximum use of the good part of the amps response (and not exceed the limits of the other audio components) so whoever made Moonshell couldn't have expected it too sound good at 4 times normal (unless they have seriously messed up hearing).

MWeston said:
audio circuitry is filtered and driven on separate power supplies for noise isolation from digital circuitry
Thank god. All of my computers have this problem. I can hear the computer working when listening through headphones, not sure if I am hearing the hard drive seeking or the actual cpu, just annoying little buzz and beep noises.

PoisonedV said:
Don't forget, as the pandora is a clamshell its design is inheritanly flawed as an mp3 player.
Open it, select the album you want to play, close it again.

Or chose a number of albums, stick on random, then close the lid. Use the shoulder buttons to navigate.

Volume wheel on the outside of the unit to control volume.

Where's the problem?

If you really need more advanced controls whilst listening to music at work, plug in a usb mini-joypad or other control device, perhaps use a buletooth device, providing software supports it.

polkunus said:
i know someone said it was better than studio quality.
That's right. Professional studio's simply can't afford the same kind of audio equipment that goes inside a sub-£200 portable device...

:blink:

Going back to bluetooth headphones - if that dosen't work there is one other way to listen to music - partially wirelessly from the pandora. Unfortunatly this method is pretty rubbish x.x but it would work.

The answer? Grab a hold of one of those little "mp3 transmitters" and while you're at it one of those really small FM radios, you know the ones - the ones which can be driven off a button cell (round battery). Just plug the "mp3 transmitter" into the pandora's headphone socket and listen via the radio. Again rubbish quality and the button cell won't last long, but it *would* work.

On the pandora's speakers don't expect them to sound anything else but tinny. You aren't going to work a miricale, tiny speakers will always sound like that even though people have been trying to develop speakers for around 100+ years now.

ljones

On BT, I was thinking something like these:
418nHSqVxKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

So i was checking into this. To support playback, and controls like track skipping, pausing etc on bluetooth headphones, the Pandora needs to support Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) and Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP).

Does it? Or is it up to the software?

Also, could the track names be exported to the little displays so you could read them?

whiskthecat said:
MWeston said:
audio circuitry is filtered and driven on separate power supplies for noise isolation from digital circuitry
Thank god. All of my computers have this problem. I can hear the computer working when listening through headphones, not sure if I am hearing the hard drive seeking or the actual cpu, just annoying little buzz and beep noises.

That is because you have a floating input, try muting the CD in, or all the inputs that you aren't using. My popping goes away entirely :)

Mr Wendal said:
So i was checking into this. To support playback, and controls like track skipping, pausing etc on bluetooth headphones, the Pandora needs to support Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) and Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP).

Does it? Or is it up to the software?

Also, could the track names be exported to the little displays so you could read them?

sindbad said:
BlueZ has support for A2DP.
So the Pandora has A2DP support?
Because I have a pair of http://skattertech.com/media/2007/03/motor...h-active-h9.jpg and I wanted to use them with my iPhone which of course does NOT have A2DP support but Bluetooth... Stupid LOL
I just wanna double check that they should work with the Pandora?

Thanks

from http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/Roadmap

Audio service ¶

See HOWTO/AudioDevices and Audio

* Headset Profile (HSP)
o PCM routing setup works, HCI partially
* Handsfree Profile (HFP)
o Not yet implemented. API proposal available.
* Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
o Usable, but still needs polishing
* Audio and Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
o Basic message parsin in place

So that means AVRCP works too?

i'm kind of worried how i will be able to listen to the pandora when it's in my pocket because the headphone jack adds to the width and not the length of the pandora. So plugging in my headphones may make the pandora not fit in my pocket. I remember Chip or someone saying just to buy an adapter that makes the headphone jack go vertically instead of horizontally but wouldn't that add too much width too? The pandora seems like a tight squeeze already in a pocket so will it even fit with headphones (I really don't want to get bluetooth headphones seeing as i love my Shure 210 and will not spend that kind of money again for wireless headphone).

Ashwin said:
the headphone jack adds to the width and not the length of the pandora. So plugging in my headphones may make the pandora not fit in my pocket.... (I really don't want to get bluetooth headphones seeing as i love my Shure 210 and will not spend that kind of money again for wireless headphone).
You could get bluetooth headphones like these, which have a headphone jack in the main unit, so you can remove the headphones it comes bundled with and put your own in there.

woot.com had a bluetooth headset for 18$ this week, it will probably be in the next woot off.

Mr Wendal said:
Ashwin said:
the headphone jack adds to the width and not the length of the pandora. So plugging in my headphones may make the pandora not fit in my pocket.... (I really don't want to get bluetooth headphones seeing as i love my Shure 210 and will not spend that kind of money again for wireless headphone).

You could get bluetooth headphones like these, which have a headphone jack in the main unit, so you can remove the headphones it comes bundled with and put your own in there.There seem to be a few with the same idea. These are a little sleeker, and should be less noticable.
31a6zSMz2RL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Check out the Jabra BT8010. I have them for my smartphone. It's a nice option becasue it works as a solo mono headset for phone calls - but you can connect a second speaker for stereo music. It can take advantage of A2DP controls.

The BT8010 is ideal if you can use a headset (with LCD for caller ID) for your phone - but want to also use it for music from the Pandora. Better yet, you can now find it for $30 on sale - I paid $100 for it. I last saw it on sale at Tigerdirect.com.

Back