Got F-200 Today, But Some Emulators Not Work

i dunno. honestly when i play a game, i dont want to remove my fingers from the controls, and when i have to use a stylus to control a character, that feels awkward to me. Sadly, most DS games do that, and while some are great games, i just cant get into them because it feels so awkward.

@suppaflyk, Sphinxer, sam fisher: It's only two or three software that don't work. Why do you have to be so harsh when talking about GPH?

I'm glad the Dpad and touch screen work well. That's excellent news, and really increases the GP2X's value :)

Woohoo! I just got mine. D-pad is awesome, though I can't say how it compares to the f-100 (I'm from the gp32 days), and the touch screen seems to be in order - though I'm not sure how accurate it is yet. I'm excited with the possibilities that crop up for programming on this thing - seems like a heap of fun. I haven't really kept up with the details on the hardware, does this thing have any on board memory? Could I delete the built-in games to make space for a few home brews? Haven't gotten my sd card yet. Thanks!

Eclipse said:
suppafly said:
Its a free world buddy. I was really sad with my original GP2x because the joystick was awful. I had problems with all my games when pushing left.

Now that I had high hopes for a gp2x, we´re starting with the left foot. Im tired of waiting for GPH to get their shit together....thats why Im getting a psp.

Have a nice day
k, go hack firmwarez ;)
for me GPH lacks only of developers support, the F-200 is a very cool little thing for me, if F-100 made my nerdiness go crazy F-200 takes it to another dimesion :ph34r: i never had the time to spent on coding homebrews but my mind is full of ideas aroun that touchscreen now.
Oh come on..... you make it sound like you need to bust open your PSP firmware in a hex editor. REALITY: you download pre-hacked firmware; some hacker with a lot of spare time took care of it all for you already for the most part. That's why it doesn't take a rocket scientist to get an emu working on a PSP; by any reasonable measure it's just as much work if not more per program on the gp2x because of all the editing config files you need to do most of the time and god forbid if you need to install gmenu and configure that too, it would overwhelm the average user. I can handle it but a lot of people can't or don't want to spend the time.... those people don't deserve to be talked down to. I know what it's like having a busy schedule and if you're a no nonsense guy..... you want no nonsense. Simple huh?

I'm not going to get a PSP because the controls are annoying and the battery life is unimpressive, problems I had with gp2x too honestly...... I'm in the boat Eclipse is in and I'm tired of waiting for GPH to get it all right. And they probably never will, and if they do the hardware will be so out of date no one will care by then. And it will still cost too much even if you get a 200 Mhz processor in 2009, watch it cost $170+. :p

suppafly said:
@kevcal, yes there are ofcourse things for touchscreen, there's also a small util to calibrate the touch. What makes me sad is that there's no more the extended menu or i just can't find where.
See this is what I'm talking about........ they get one thing right and screw something else up. That's how it always is with gph; add a new pretty GUI, make the boot time 35 seconds? Add touchscreen and take out the options menu?! Is there even a way to still turn on usb networking without weird trickery? IMHO that was the best feature gp2x had; remote telnet into the system to run a development console etc. If they screw THAT up the f200 is a depressing proposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could the compatibility problems come from the new FW rather than the new hardware? Some assume it has to do with the screen but are we sure? Has anyone with brass balls tried to flash the unit to FW 2.1.1 and see if the emus work again? It is quite a downer that many of these emus do not work as many of them are abandoned. PSNES is a dealbreaker for me as that was my favorite SNES emu. SS was good but my zipped ROMs don't work.

Maybe a custom FW 2.1.1 could be made that has touchscreen support hacked in (if that helps compatibility).

I guess it is only a mater of time until someone hacks around with the FW to see what the problem is (hopefully). Quick someone donate a GP2X F200 to Squidge and DJWillis etc so they can help suss it out :p

The touchscreen has alot more potential than some may think. It would be GREAT for mouse emulation in computer emus like Amiga and ST. Virtual keyboards are also MUCH more useable with a touchscreen. It could even help PC ports like TTD that would now be enjoyable.

Lets hope it is not too hard to fix. It sounds like most of the problems are software related.

So, now that there are a couple of posters who seem to have their system, the burning question remains:

Can you throw a fireball and jump diagonally over Sagat's return fire with equal accuracy.
:blink:

DaveC said:
Could the compatibility problems come from the new FW rather than the new hardware? Some assume it has to do with the screen but are we sure? Has anyone with brass balls tried to flash the unit to FW 2.1.1 and see if the emus work again? It is quite a downer that many of these emus do not work as many of them are abandoned. PSNES is a dealbreaker for me as that was my favorite SNES emu. SS was good but my zipped ROMs don't work.

Yeah it's very early days :D there were bound to be (fw) incompatabilities for old software.
I take it pocket snes source is available and buildable?
If so, only a matter of time before 'someone' sorts it out.

I take it telnetd et al are always running, so don't need config options on the menu?
A dev needs to have a look at it all... to see what's good/bad - but again it's _very_ early days!

I take it telnetd et al are always running, so don't need config options on the menu?

You'd still need to be able to set the IP address (unless there's DHCP or something).

If when you you plug in the USB cable, it says "USB connected", then it won't be doing networking. If they've taken networking out all together, it's going to be next to useless for me and stuff like the X server probably won't work either :(

Hangman said:
Of course those bad things I listed are very little problems which will be possibly fixed with future firmware releases.

I would like to share your optimism. If the telnet problem is corrected really soon, fine. If not, this is really bad news. It will make F200 incompatibility debugging and future porting much more painful.

yeah telnet missing would be a pain for how I develop..
Can anyone do an image [or even an 'ls -l' file list of what's under '/' ..]; then maybe some comparisons can be made.

It's a crying shame that not all emus currently work on the F200 but I have to say I'm happy with early reports about the d-pad - that was a much larger concern for me, at least the firmware can be tinkered with in the future (I hope).

Would the telnet thing be something a simple as changing a config file on the internal flash?

housemonkey said:
So, now that there are a couple of posters who seem to have their system, the burning question remains:

Can you throw a fireball and jump diagonally over Sagat's return fire with equal accuracy[?]
:blink:
Best. Question. Ever. :ph34r:

How do I do this? My computer is automatically detecting the gp as a card reader, and so I can't actually see what's on the device.
kevcal said:
yeah telnet missing would be a pain for how I develop..
Can anyone do an image [or even an 'ls -l' file list of what's under '/' ..]; then maybe some comparisons can be made.

b_o_b said:
housemonkey said:
Honestly, if this turns out to be the only issue its seems pretty minor in the grand scheme...

But yes, bummer for the short term even if its not exactly a shocker.
Agreed, The biggest problem will be to convince devs to develop for the F-200.
An updated OutcaST will be enough to convince me buying one :)

Woa, 50 more messages to read.. explosive thread :)

I wish it came in black, so it looked like a gp2x. Less to explain to the wife that way ;)

I think for me .. if the d-pad is okay and touchscreen works okay (ie: no hardware bugs.. software we can deal with, but I'm sick of GPH rotated joystick style bugs ;) then I'll get one if I can sell my existing 2x at a reasonable price (so the F200 doesn't sink me a pile of cash. The days of expendible income are gone :p)

So OutCaST will very likely get the touchscreen mousecontrol that I have in my PDA versions (works pretty well, though a little spotty in some games.) Just take a couple weeks before I place my order :)

jeff

By chance, anyone tried OutCaST and BattleJewels? Let me know ;)

Does the screen need the screen-gamma fixer, or does it work like Mk1's.. ie: it actually works right?

(god I hate stupid hardware issues.)

jeff

narmak said:
How do I do this? My computer is automatically detecting the gp as a card reader, and so I can't actually see what's on the device.
I'm guessing you can copy some sort of bash script on to the sd card and run it from there. Maybe someone would be nice enough to lead the way?

Hmm.

It's white, it's got nowhere to put the stylus, and the firmware appears to be even more restrictive and crap than FW3.0.

Colour me unimpressed - shan't be bothering with this one. Looks like my days of GP2x are pretty much over... And I've not even had it a year. And it doesn't take a genius to figure out that most new software will be 2nd edition incompatible, does it?

D.

Back